Steiger Dynamics LEET Pure Gaming/HTPC

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If it's shipping from the US then you'll need to add import VAT on top of the price, and possibly customs duty too. So a comparable price for components bought from the UK is actually £2113 or more, not £1761.

And I wish you'd test the system more practically. It doesn't matter that RAID 0 SSDs posts X speeds in some synthetic benchmark. Does it make any difference in actual use? And if so, do you feel it's worth the trade-offs (increased startup time, doubled chance of failure)? To me it seems like a very poor choice for an HTPC system. It does have a few rough edges like that and the page file being set wrong.

Additionally, losing space to 'formatting' is incorrect. You get different values on the box and in the operating system because the hard drive/SSD manufacturers use a different definition of gigabyte (10^9) compared with the rest of the computing industry (2^30).

(240 * 10^9) / 2^30 is 223.5

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks for the comments EndlessWaves.

As for practical testing, I only use synthetic benchmarks as they are free and easy to compare against other systems. If you can suggest free programs to give actual use comparisons then I'd be happy to include them in my testing. Obviously I'd love to use programs such as Photoshop to show lengths of time to open files etc, but I don't own any of these programs. If it isn't free then I can't use it.

The HDD goes to sleep after 20 minutes when not in use to help with the noise and save power. If the pagefile was on the HDD it would never go to sleep and would ruin the overall quiet levels of this system.

Computers come under the duty free category, but yes you would have to include VAT, an error on my part there. It's a habit of getting stuff through a business, I tend to forget the VAT!

As for the different definition of gigabyte that is something I never knew or had even considered, so thanks for letting me know! So you are saying an SSD rated at 240GB will actually only show 223.5GB on Windows before anything is installed on it?

Sniper

I'm somewhat surprised by boot time ... I run a much less powerful htpc, with a single ssd and windows 8.1, and get it to boot (directly to xbmc) in ~30s. Surely this should be the same or better! Are you sure it's using uefi fast boot?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I've been reliably told that the longer post times is due to using RAID 0 on the SSDs and the consequent initialization of the RAID controller. Regarding the Fast Boot I checked in the BIOS and that was enabled.

Also, they recommend to use standby only and only do a full shutdown when updates are needed.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As for practical testing, I only use synthetic benchmarks as they are free and easy to compare against other systems.

Benchmarks should be a way of quantifying the differences you see between systems under normal use. If they're not doing that then they're worse than useless, they're misleading.

Technical benchmarks that measure a specific aspect have their place but that's generally alongside an explanation of what the results mean in practical terms. Unless you feel it would be fit the format to provide that it may be better to drop them entirely and stick to the benchmarks where the obvious interpretation is reasonably accurate (number twice the size = system twice as good).

As for the different definition of gigabyte that is something I never knew or had even considered, so thanks for letting me know! So you are saying an SSD rated at 240GB will actually only show 223.5GB on Windows before anything is installed on it?

Yes. And on Mac OS, and Linux, and iOS (and probably android too).

mdbarber

seems a typical pile of ill configured, ill suited, off the shelf hardware and really doesn't deserve the badge HTPC.
and no offence greg but not knowing the different definitions of a megabyte used by drive manufacturers and computer science really knocks any credibility as a hardware reviewer.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, what exactly in this system makes you think it is ill configured and ill suited? I found it very fast, extremely quiet and it worked perfectly. Yes, you could argue that a single SSD compared to two in RAID has both positives and negatives but I found no issues elsewhere.

Also, the comment about me not knowing the different definitions is fair enough, but as I'm not an IT professional nor have any IT training whatsoever, if you believe something to be correct and no one corrects you, then that error will remain. I can say that I've never seen that mentioned on the net anywhere that drive manufacturers use a different formula for a megabyte. As a layman, to me, selling a drive of 240GB that actually isn't because they are using some different formula is nonsense. But there you go, you live and learn.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
As a layman, to me, selling a drive of 240GB that actually isn't because they are using some different formula is nonsense. But there you go, you live and learn.

The problem is, both sides of the debate have valid reasons. 240GB (240 * 10^9) is correct because that's how you would generally use the giga- prefix for other units, 223.5GB (223.5 * 2^30) is correct because it's become a defacto standard when talking about bytes through extremely wide scale use.

There was an attempt in the late 90s by the IEC to introduce a different set of pre-fixes for power of two by replacing the second pair of letters with bi (for binary), e.g. Kilobyte becomes Kibibyte, Gigabyte comes Gibibyte but it never caught on (probably partly due to how silly it made them sound).

dromoxen

Novice Member
trim would not get passed thru to a raid0 so that system would slow don gradually. pagefie on slow hdd is outdated now..?

would expect larger hdd ..4gb lol

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom