Steering Wheel recommendations

oldman100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Choice appears limited to Mad Catz Pro Racing Force or TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition for Xbox One by Thrustmaster.

Is anybody currently using a wheel with Forza and willing to offer some impartial advice.

I have one. The wheel itself is really good - responsive etc and the force feedback works (even had to dial it back a little as its a bit strong). The pedals are a bit of a let down - it doesn't give progressive resistance as you press it which feels a little strange. You will need to mount the wheel to something strong (I got a cheap stand off Ebay for £45 or so

Lots of people have had problems with their wheels - I had to get mine replaced under warranty which was fairly painless (advance replacement sent along with prepaid UPS label for shipping back).

If I had to choose again I'd still buy it. Kikatek had a good deal on it which is where I got mine. I think the Mad Catx wheel has been delayed till June time.

Edit: Forgot one other thing - Thrustmaster did not put a microphone socket on the wheel for a reason best known to them. You have to use a standard controller in tandem for voice chat.

I have one. The wheel itself is really good - responsive etc and the force feedback works (even had to dial it back a little as its a bit strong). The pedals are a bit of a let down - it doesn't give progressive resistance as you press it which feels a little strange. You will need to mount the wheel to something strong (I got a cheap stand off Ebay for £45 or so

Lots of people have had problems with their wheels - I had to get mine replaced under warranty which was fairly painless (advance replacement sent along with prepaid UPS label for shipping back).

If I had to choose again I'd still buy it. Kikatek had a good deal on it which is where I got mine. I think the Mad Catx wheel has been delayed till June time.

Edit: Forgot one other thing - Thrustmaster did not put a microphone socket on the wheel for a reason best known to them. You have to use a standard controller in tandem for voice chat.
Thanks for the heads up, I know exactly what you mean about the pedals as there the same as the ones on my friends GT PS3 wheel.

I intend to set the wheel up with Playseat(R) Challenge Simulator Driving Racing Gaming Seat which appears to receive reasonable reviews considering it's a fold up job.

Thrustmaster are meant to be releasing another pedal set separately soon which has a clutch pedal - might be better, not sure. I've read on various other forums that other pedals (i.e. from Fanatec or Logitech) can work with the wheel base as well (either direct or via an adapter). Ill probably go that route at some date.

Seat, wheel and pedals all ordered, looking forward to giving it all a bash come the end of the week.

I'm not too fussed about the pedal set-up, but really looking forward to the force feedback steering

You have to do it with a Windows PC unfortunately. There is a PDF on the support site with instructions, its pretty straightforward though.

It's here, FW all updated and I have to say I could never go back to playing Forza with a pad.

This is awesome, the seat is a perfect compliment to the wheel.

Quick question where do I change the settings for the force feedback, I don't see anything at a glance in the Forza menus.

On the home screen (in Forza 5, with all the tiles on it), its in the 'forza profile' section, on one of the tabs.

Some people recommend setting the deadzones to 0 to 100 for all pedals as well (same section), you might want to experiment with what feels best.

OK thanks, I'll give the dead zone changes a bash too as I do suspect there's a little lag with my default configuration.

Update - big difference changing the dead zones, no more lag.

Last edited:
I don't believe this but looks like my wheel has developed a fault already, power light only comes on for a second then that's it. Not happy :( looks like it's dead!

What's more after a quick Google it seems like a very common fault, with lots of users having to return wheels after a very short period of time, just checkout Amazon.com not UK and Gamestop for purchaser reviews.

Moovado, was your fault the same as mine? Also did you return yours to the retailer or did you use the Thrustmaster tech support line to arrange a replacement?

Last edited:
Thats tough luck. I don't think my issue was the same - I think the light came on but it was USB related. When I plugged it in to a PC, it came up with unrecognised device. Yes, this wheel does have its fair share of problems.

I got it replaced with Thrustmaster direct, they sent an advance replacement with instructions to sent the faulty base back via UPS (on their account). If you go the Thrustmaster route, its best to call them as they are slow doing it via email.

Yes it's pretty tough, since I work over seas each week it makes it double tough. So tomorrow morning I'm going to drive 2.5hrs to the retail outlet of the Ebay'er who I purchased it from and obviously demand an exchange or refund if they have no replacement stock.

One other issue that I attributed to the wheel was that in order to sync my controller again I need to unplug my XBOX from the mains and sync it up again.

Happy days.

6 months on are the Thrustmaster steering wheels any more reliable?

How does everyone rate the Thrustmaster now? I'm contemplating building a full cockpit setup (always wanted to) and was wondering if all the kinks had been ironed out especially now with a lot of the modular extras being available.

I like it a lot. The stock pedals are very average though - the addon pedals are meant to be quite a bit better (I use modded T500RS pedals which are really good). The stock wheel rim itself is ok - I did get the GTE wheel addon as well which I much prefer - its heavier and just feels more natural.

For xbox one wheels, there still isn't much choice unfortunately. There is a cheaper Thrustmaster wheel but it has no force feedback and then there is Mad Catz....

One of the reasons I'd held off so far was to wait to see how the Mad Catz wheel rated but from what I've read, the Thrustmaster seems better thought of than the Mad Catz.

I would probably get the add on pedals as they're apparently very similar to the T500RS although a little more plastic in construction.

Now see what you've gone and done? Every time I think I've made a decision, this happens. :laugh:

I might hold off again to see what they come up with.
They're bloody expensive wheels mind. They're supposed to be amazing, but bloody expensive. If they bring out the adaptor might be worth picking up a 360 one cheap.

They're bloody expensive wheels mind. They're supposed to be amazing, but bloody expensive. If they bring out the adaptor might be worth picking up a 360 one cheap.

Oh I know they're expensive! My mate has the 911 GT2 setup and it's just amazing, always envious :laugh:

They do offer the CSL seat with the CSR wheel and pedals for 499.95€. That's not too bad. If they were to bring out an adapter for the One, I would be seriously tempted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom