SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless - anyone got a pair ?

HI,

Been looking at a new set of headphones recently as a treat so looking at better ones, rather than cheaper and so far these are running favorite
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Anyone else had any experience of these, I am PC gaming, with some bluetooth movie watching late at night hence these are a good match. I dont use my phone with headphones or use them outside of the house.

Fillius

HI,

Been looking at a new set of headphones recently as a treat so looking at better ones, rather than cheaper and so far these are running favorite
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Anyone else had any experience of these, I am PC gaming, with some bluetooth movie watching late at night hence these are a good match. I dont use my phone with headphones or use them outside of the house.
Yeah I bought a pair recently, I've been really impressed.

My favourite feature is the swappable battery. It beeped low battery the other day and I managed to change it mid game without removing the headset or stopping gaming :D.

I've also got a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3's, I don't think the SteelSeries headset quite matches the Sony on music quality, but it's much better for gaming. The Arctic have a much larger range too. With the Sony's, if I go in the other room from the Bluetooth source, they break up. The Arctis own wireless to its base station works across the whole house fine. I've not tried Bluetooth on the Arctis yet.

The retractable microphone is a nice touch, it has a red LED on it to indicate when it's muted. And the headband is less fiddly than the Sony's which are hard to quickly put on/remove without adjusting the height on one side by accident.

The only thing missing is noise cancellation, although I'm not sure if many gaming headsets support that because presumably it adds latency.

I got a bit carried away and also bought a SteelSeries Apex Pro TKL keyboard and Rival 6 wireless mouse which I've also been very happy with. (Although I don't really have a frame of reference since they're my first proper gaming periphals).

I wish the headset worked with Xbox, but I know the limitation is due to Microsoft's proprietary wireless. The 7X and 9X do work with Xbox if you need that, but they're not as good as the Pro Wireless for sound quality or features (no swappable battery!).

Thanks for the reply, great information there. Funny I started this headphone quest looking at the Sony WH-1000XM3's for watching movies via BT and it has grown from that, Not wanting to use Bluetooth for PC gaming took me away from them but that is the sort of audio quality I am looking for so thanks for mentioning that.

Fillius

Thanks for the reply, great information there. Funny I started this headphone quest looking at the Sony WH-1000XM3's for watching movies via BT and it has grown from that, Not wanting to use Bluetooth for PC gaming took me away from them but that is the sort of audio quality I am looking for so thanks for mentioning that.
I think unless you use AptX low latency as the codec, Bluetooth is quite slow, so you might have lipsync issues with movies. I tried connecting my Sony's to my Denon AVR and there was a noticeable delay in the headphones compared to the speakers.

You can probably get used to it for movies though, games it would be harder.

bash

I was looking at these but think I'll hold off until I can afford a second hand pair of the Audeze Morbius as they're meant to be the best.

@Fillius your comments about non AptX codex does worry me though . . .

Fillius

I was looking at these but think I'll hold off until I can afford a second hand pair of the Audeze Morbius as they're meant to be the best.

I hadn't heard of those before, but a quick browse of the PCWorld review does seem to say it's no exception:
And doubly so since it’s Bluetooth. Most wireless PC gaming headsets opt for 2.4GHz or 5GHz connections because they’re more stable and pass better-quality sound. The Mobius is fine for casual phone listening, maybe on your commute, but it’s doubtful you’d use it as a Bluetooth headset at home—especially if you plan to use the microphone too, which further complicates incoming audio. It’s not a wireless headset really. It’s a wired headset that happens to have Bluetooth capabilities in a pinch.

RTings have some really good tests comparisons of a lot of different headsets for comparison:
The 6 Best Wireless Gaming Headsets - Fall 2020: Reviews

Have a look at the full review for any of those, they test and rate each headset on a huge number of factors.

Here's an article by them about latency:
SBC vs aptX: Which Bluetooth Codec is the best?

Edit: so Bluetooth connections seem to be 100-200ms latency, except AptX LL which is around 40ms, but needs both the source and the headphones to support it.

Yeah I looked at those as well, love the planar magnetic drivers in them but I need to have a headset that is best at gaming with the PC wirelessly first and bluetooth doesnt cut it there, but do have a use for the bluetooth with my Martantz amp for movies at night and its has a delay feature to match up the 200ms odd lag from BT. (My amp doesnt support low latency BT)

So a 2.4ghz for gaming and BT for the amp combined is perfect, even if there audio quality is a touch less than on the Audeze Morbius

GreyMutton

The hyper X cloud orbit have the same drivers as the mobius so might be worth considering. Don't think they're wireless though.
I've been looking into a new set for my PC but having real trouble deciding. Leaning towards a wireless set but just can't make my mind up.

bash

Just read that theres a new Audeze headset called Penrose which will be the same as mobius just without the all head tracking technology but it will have 2.4 ghz wireless connection with a dongle AND bluetooth. Pre orders now (releasing in November) are £50 off at 249. RRP will be 299.

ohh interesting. I wonder how long they run on a charge as the Planar magnetic drivers need power to run them and so will the 2.4ghz wireless, but thats a compromise I would consider to have both things in place.

EDIT - says 15 hours on the website so not bad.

GreyMutton

Just read that theres a new Audeze headset called Penrose which will be the same as mobius just without the all head tracking technology but it will have 2.4 ghz wireless connection with a dongle AND bluetooth. Pre orders now (releasing in November) are £50 off at 249. RRP will be 299.
Saw this post last night and have been hovering over the pre order button since!

I hate pre ordering things with a passion though. Handing over my cash then waiting 6 weeks or whatever just doesn't sit well with me at all.
These do look good though and the £50 off is tempting... Wondering if the discount is just to get orders in and it'll end up that price after release anyway....

Amazon day these are £80 off - plus the £10 I got for buying something in the last two weeks - £194 cannot stop myself.
1602545321559.png

pixel8

Can anyone advise why my Arctis Pro Wireless are REALLY low volume when plugged into my Yamaha receivers 3.5 headphone port?

MartinH32

Intresting topic. I've owned Astro A50, Arctis Pro Wireless and Mobius headsets. By far I was very underwhelmed by the Mobius headset. Build quality didn't seem up to much and the sound just 'average'. Out of the 3 I've always been most impressed by the A50's

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom