Steelbooks, really worth the fuss?

After receiving three Life of Pis now, one with a massive dent and two with spine slashing im thinking its not worth it at all these days. The constant sending back and replacements is too much. After i receive my current pre orders i may just go amaray only

Does this really justify starting a new thread for, seriously?....in a dedicated space for steel book enthusiasts :rolleyes:

around thirty comments already and a healthy friendly discussion so I'd say yes. But then maybe i'm biased. :)

Thanks for all the comments guys and the healthy debate. Just to clarify i'm not against collecting things and have over the years collected everything from an assortment of navel fluff, much to the annoyance of my mother, matchbox cars, car registrations, VHS movies, CCGs, DVDs, cuff links and now a steadily growing collection of watches (I should have stopped at navel fluff) so I'm well versed with the condition of collecting.

My question was around the content inside the case (steel or otherwise). My own preference has always been for the best quality movie 1st, extras 2nd and packaging 3rd. Based on the feedback here I can see me buying the occasional SB (or more... I just ordered Hobbit and Django) for movies I don't own or havent seen where the content looks to be the same and the price premium is only a pound or two. Having spent way too much over the years on collectable vhs cases, criterion dvds etc i'm burnt out from the 'upgrade' game and am left dreaming of a more joined up digital market.

Thanks again for all the comments. Long may you enjoy your collections, me I think i'm happy with just the occasional SB and will stick to amarays for the most part. Although I reserve the right to change my mind at any point... :)

If a new BD release is available as a steelbook and an amaray then I would certainly opt for the former on the basis of having nicer, more durable and more collectible packaging.

However, I think there are now so many re-releases of old previously released BDs in steelbooks but lacking the extras from the original release that I'm honestly starting to question why I'm even bothering any more as they've lost their uniqueness and desirability somewhat. It seems to me that whereas with DVDs we had re-releases with new extras, longer/different cuts and remastered transfers, steelbooks are just a lazy and cynical way for movie studios to make more money out of an existing release without having to spend any extra money on them. They really aren't worth the money IMO unless you don't own the movies already.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom