Steelbooks Collecting (Is It An Obsession)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & 4K Steelbooks' started by Garrett, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,458
    Wondering what your views on collecting Steelbooks are as I think some people spend way too much on them. And just buy them even if they don't like the film.

I don't collect them pre say but if a film comes out I want to watch and would buy normally in a plastic case I don't mind paying a little bit more for the steel as I would not mind paying a bit more for a hard back book over a paperback.

I would not buy a hardback once I have the paperback, which some people do once they have the Blu Ray already then go and buy the steelbook which even if they sold the plastic version they still be paying proportionally a lot to upgrade.

The only time I have bought an other blu disc I already had is X2 and Wolverine which I had the normal versions and was waiting till the X1 came under a price point and found a bargin where I could get the Quadrilogy cheaper than X1 its own:eek: But I see now people that know doubt have X1 already will be buying it when it comes out in the steelbook. And maybe some that have the Bond box set will be buying the steelbooks of individual film.

2. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    I've never seen the point in buying films you don't like tbh, like you say though it becomes an obsession.

3. Wootball

Wootball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    It's only too much if they can't afford it. One man's obsession is another man's hobby.

Collecting ANYTHING is crazy to some people - live and let live.

4. SteelHoarder

SteelHoarder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Obsetion ? My obsession is with spelling :D

5. SamF

SamF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I have to hold my hands up and say I have, only once, bought the same film again - Avengers Assemble - in Steel Book, for no other reason than I liked the case.

Of my 400+ current collection, I have slipped up a couple of times and duplicated half a dozen other films but only really buy plastic case. If the choice does comes up for a steely or plastic though, in recent times I have opted for the steel and on the rare occasion - with preorder - got the price for less than a plastic.

As with Garrett, I don't mind paying a slight premium for the upgrade on new films, but would not go out my way to upgrade my entire collection just for steelies.

I do agree though and my Wife will second, it does become an obsession and I have bought a couple of the lesser rated films because I could. Did anyone really like Super :facepalm:

6. featherhall

featherhall
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I only ever buy films I want or are interested in. Very few are blind buys (Taken 2 was the last blind buy on steelbook - and thanks to that I wont ever do that again).
    I have about 100 steelbooks, and apart from 1 or 2 they were all for films I wanted or love.
    I've never seen the point in buying a steelbook for the case if you dont like the film, and I also dont see the point in buying a steelbook and keeping it sealed.
    For instance I have no interest in Roger Rabbit even though I admit the case looks lovely. I wont buy it because I dont like the film. Likewise, with the Star Wars trilogogu 4-6 (great films but a shocking case so a no buy)

For trades I would always prefer an open mint one than a sealed one with a risk of damage.

I think we are about to see a change in steelbooks now as more title will be available with larger print runs.

7. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,293
    :D

Ive got about 35-40? I wouldnt say Im obsessed with them but I like getting the steelbook of a film I know I like if its at a reasonable price. Collecting steels for the sake of it though? No. And I dont care how nice the steels look, if its a film I dont like or rate, it is not getting bought.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,458
    And do you remind physically disabled person of there short comings as well? see my sig below

Any way thanks spelling police for reminding me of my short comings and that I had not used a spell checker to correct my title although I used it on the post.

and thanks as well to Jim Di Griz for laughing at a joke about my failings.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. supadryz

supadryz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    It use to be an obsession & a little ocd as steelbooks look so much better.

But these days Steelbooks for blu-rays are becoming common as muck. Almost every new film released is a steelbook where back in the day only a selected few made it to Steelbook stage. you might find the odd Limited rare ones but I have just lost interest.

because of this I have lost the love for collection of steelbooks. Over the last 6 months I have sold alot of mine & only have a few selected few. But I did buy James Bond Steelbook which is very nice. :)

10. kingkarl

kingkarl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Bloody luv my steelbooks and just got number 102 this morning with Skyfall :eek:
    I got some right rare gems in my stash IRONMAN etc and I just love my steelies , my Mrs plays **** with me but I just tell her she does not need that new pair of shoes and that shuts her up ! :rotfl:

11. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,971
    Confession time - steelbooks has opened up an old facet of my personality long dormant since childhood. When I was a kid if I went to a friends house and saw some toys they had I didn't have I would be desperate to have that same toy (e.g. transformers, star wars figures, he-man figures) - fast-forward 30ish years and I see someone's nice steelbook and I want one. But I draw the line at paying the prices asked for steels like thor or iron man.

12. shil

shil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    I love my steels! I only collect the ones I want to watch or try and get hard to get steels but I would never spend silly money on one steelbook... Some people do indeed spend crazy amounts on them... each to their own and all that.

Lol im the opposite...so if im spending this much on steels I end up buying the mrs some nice clothes or whatever she wants and she's happy. To be fair she's really good and doesn't mind the 120 odd i've currently got so far, saying that she likes my Marvel steels! :laugh:

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,458
    Going back a bit Marvel Comics now and then use to produce a special cover may be a foil one or a different artwork but the rate the came out was rare. The foil cost very little more and alternate covers were the same price they just hoped people would buy more than one 1 copy.
    Then they found they had a market for them and every month you will see a plethora of alternate covers. And do for a number of titles DC and other publishers do this to some extent.

e.g.

GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #2 NOW £2.70
    GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #2 RIVERA VAR NOW £50
    GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #2 QUESADA VAR £150
    GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #2 MADIUERA VAR £250
    GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #2 MOVIE VAR £20

As you say a lot come now and seems like the makes have found an other way of making money.

14. Fruitloop1982

Fruitloop1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I`m obsessed. I admit it. Actually, everytime I look at this forum it encourages me to buy more. Dam you all... :)

Tbh tho, I`ve picked up most of mine second hand at stupidly low prices. Finding a bargain is part of the buzz for me. As with the majority of you, I only buy the films I enjoy and I open most of them. I like to enjoy/admire my collection.

Could be far worse, we all could all be addicted to heroin instead! It would probably be cheaper, but far more hazzardous to our health. Steelbook collecting is expensive, but totally harmless and low key. Providing you spend within your means, its a great hobby.

15. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    That's the trouble though, it's far too easy to go too far. I'm past that stage and I'm holding off buying non-essential titles now until they hit £10 or less.

16. Maccadinho25

Maccadinho25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    You sure about that? lol

Im not addicted and am avoiding buying Roger Rabbit and Finding Nemo as if they were on TV tonight i wouldnt watch them. The OCD nature of my mind is what spoils this collecting malarky for me because as the production has increased the quality has gone down and the smallest, minute paint spec drives my brain crazy resulting in 4 or 5 copies of a bloody piece of metal :devil: Id never spend silly money on an old steelbook however and some collectors who buy films for the slip on the steelbook or because its released in another country but never even open the things are crazy imo and definitely addicted! Theres also a lot of snobbery in this game which really puts me off

17. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,971
    Ah now that's the bit that gets me in trouble - spending within my means. If I can't see the credit card statement surely the debits aren't there?

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,458
    True.

I use this sig one one forum I go to which is a quote from one of Micheal Ironsides charaters.

They say obsession is the cancer of mental illness, but if you ask me, anyone who can ignore his gut was never sane in the first place.:smashin:

19. Mattle40

Mattle40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    "Why did you choose the penthouse if you're afraid of heights?"

"Because its the best"

20. murkymango

murkymango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Now where did I put my mastercard? :eek: Damn! I only have 2.5k spare..

Bluray Steelbook Collection Iron Man, Disney's, Avengers 3D Cabin In The Woods | eBay

84 titles, with 15 copies of iron man alone? now I know why people get annoyed when they can't order the titles they want because of people like that.

ps. I only collect the steels of movies I like, I don't get why people want crap like 10,000 BC just because it's in a 50p tin can. I saw on another thread someone had loads of copies of the avengers from Azerbaijan to Zanzibar, I guess he has more money than sense. :suicide:

21. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    At one point I had over160 steels but its was becoming stupid have these steel books I couldn't open due to the value decreasing. I therefore decided to sell them all (losing my job was a big factor in selling) and have about 15 left over.

I don't regret getting rid although seeing all the ones I wanted to be released getting released like The Rock, Con Air and Ghostbusters makes me wish sometimes I had kept collecting.

Only problem was it got to a point where I was buying a steel even if I hated the film I think the only ones I drew the line with were human centipede and sex and the city.

I look back now and think I was mad paying around a hundred quid for Indiana jones steel and other rare ones just to keep it on my shelf, I dunno how others feel spending even more than that on some.

22. vtrmart

vtrmart
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    If it is a Steelbook for a film I would have bought on amaray, then I get the steel. However, most of the films I would buy come out early through US dealers so I buy the US disc, often 4-6 weeks before it hits uk shores. Cases in point : Thor, cap and Green lantern. The US Thor came out 2 months before the uk steel so I bought that. Same with cap and GL. No matter how nice the steel, I prefer to have it at the first opportunity rather than wait.

23. apartridge

apartridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Collecting is tedious now, market has been flooded with low quality releases and there are a lot of quality control issues.

24. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,293
    I wasnt laughing. It was an emoticon meaning big grin. And yeah, Im a little bit obsessed with spelling mistakes - its a weakness of mine.

25. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,293
    Market being flooded means more people get steelbooks they like. So its not a bad thing in my opinion. Might be bad for the 'scalpers' though ;) (I hate that word for some reason!)

26. stument

stument
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,121
    I dont want to do it anymore... but cant find the balls to sell my collection, so i cant stop :(

27. Celticbhoy1888

Celticbhoy1888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Only since yesterday I've begun to seriously consider selling up. I look at my 170 odd collection and see a couple of grand sitting there.

So many I've bought I wouldn't have bothered with on amaray and so many quality issues with them now is becoming a pain.

Tbh as much as I love having Steelbooks coming through the post, they basically go up on the shelf and rarely see the light of day, which makes me think what's the point ?

Of course deciding to build an extension to the kitchen has had some bearing on this ;) The money would come in very handy.

I honestly think, for me anyway, it will be as difficult as stopping smoking.

Decisions, decisions !!

28. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm currently selling over 50% of my current lot, but I will still continue to buy steel books over armoires, as once I sell this lot I will probably recover 70%-100% of my initial outlay, where as if they were armoires I'd be lucky to get 30%back. Every time I get up to a out 150 steel books ill just sell them again. Rinse and repeat

Oddly I don't miss a single one, not even the rares and I really thought I would

29. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    I have thought about selling up but decided I've collected for too long to stop now. I still enjoy buying new titles, so for me it's still worthwhile. Instead I'm trying to make the most of my collection by watching everything I can. The way I see it is that I watch it once or twice and it justifies paying out for it.

30. Darrentom

Darrentom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Brought my 1st steelbook by mistake on ebay end of november 2012, just had my 87th delivered today with another 12 in the post, am i addicted and overspending???? oooohhh yeah...love it.