Steelbook Database or Personal Collection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & 4K Steelbooks' started by Futuro, Jan 28, 2014.

?
  1. Steelbook Database

53.3%
  2. Personal Collection

6.7%
  3. Both

40.0%
  1. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    DOUBLE EDITED:

I've been contacted regarding the problem that my post is so long, some people didn't get where the link was... Sorry about that. Here it is:

Home

Don't forget to click "Steelbook Collection". Thanks for the heads up.

EDITED:

Hey guys.

I think I'm finally ready to show you my website. There were some last minute changes, some coding errors and some final adjustments. I've tested many possible situations and corrected all the errors that got my attention. A couple of friends also tested the website and didn't find errors.

But since I'm hoping many of you will visit and perhaps register, I'd like to ask you this: if you detect any errors please contact me through the website form, or through here.

I think the website is very clear and simple, but I'll just explain a few things. The website is mainly composed of 4 sections: Home, Collection, Login(Register) and Mypage.

Home: Just a welcome wallpaper I photoshopped to include the characters of my favourite 3 steelbooks;
    Collection: This will be the database everyone can visit and I hope that everyone will contribute (right now it has 59 steelbooks - my collection. Rush is coming this week... :));
    Login/Register: It doesn't need explaining;
    Mypage: In here, you'll be able to create your own collection, wish list, insert new movies in the database and have access to a contact form, in case you have some problems.

Possible questions:
    1. How do I add a movie to my collection?
    A: If you were the one to enter the movie in the database, it will be added to your collection automatically. If not, then just visit the database and you'll have a '+' sign that adds the movie to your collection. (these signs only appear if you are logged in)

2. How do I add a movie to wish list?
    A: If the movie is already in your collection, then you can't add it to your wish list (it doesn't make sense to do it). If not, then proceed as before, but instead click the 'add to wish list' icon.

3. Can I add a movie to my collection, that is currently on my wish list?
    A: Yes you can. Either visit the database and add it to your collection (it will go to your collection and disappear from your wish list), or simply visit your wish list and proceed as before, by pressing the 'add to wish list' icon.

4. Can I delete a movie from my collection or wish list?
    A: Yes you can. Simply press the 'x' icon on the desired list.

5. Can I delete a movie from the database?
    A: You can't. Only I have the access to do that.

6. What happens when I submit a movie?
    A: It will only be added after being approved. Once it is approved, you'll receive and email regarding the insertion of the new movie. Just a heads up: trailers are added by me, since it requires a "trick".

Regarding some rules:

1. You are not allowed to submit obscene content;

2. You should only add steelbooks that aren't in the database (it's very easy to check: go to the database and there is a search form with autocomplete, so if the name doesn't appear -> it doesn't exist.). You can add a different version of the same movie, as long as it is relevant. The exact same steelbook from another country will not be submitted;

3. Regarding the picture you submit: The picture should only have the steelbook. Please avoid panoramic shots, where most of the picture is background. For now, the maximum size per picture is 1MB. I took all the photos with my camera and cropped the photo (to only include the steelbook) and resized to 50% (5MP camera). The biggest image I got was the one attached with only 250KB=0.25MB. The cropping is easily done with Paint, Photoshop or a lot of online tools. If you are submitting through a smartphone, this is also easy to obtain. Simply download photoshop (it's free). It only takes a few seconds per picture. The pictures should be of the front of the steelbook or like the on attached for design reasons; (if you need some help with the picture, give me a shout)

4. Regarding the submission of a new movie: simply visit imdb.com and copy the necessary fields (title, director, actor, genre, imdb link); Copy the storyline from imdb (located on the bottom of the movie page). Then add the retailer (if, and only if, the steelbook is exclusive to that retailer), region and country and press submit. It takes me about 25-30 seconds to submit each movie, so I think it is fairly easy;

I would like to remind you that a smartphone/tablet version was also created. If you try to access with a small screen, then the website redirects you to a smartphone optimized version. I haven't tried the website with a tablet. In case you are redirected to the desktop version and find any abnormal behavior, then every page has a smartphone icon (upper right corner) that lets you visit the mobile version. This works both ways. If you are visiting the mobile version, every page has a "Desktop Version" button that redirects you to the wanted page.

Regarding website size:

As I mentioned before: I am a student. The website domain and space available were paid by me. It was built entirely from scratch by me. The available space isn't much but I need to make this clear: If you enjoy the possiblity of having your own collection and wish list, or even just browsing the database (without needing to register) then please make a contribution so I can pay for a much bigger server (I'll also have an annual fee due to the domain). Right now I have 500MB, but would like to have 5GB in the near future (or even more) to be able to provide all the users with a rich database (and the ability of updating pictures without size restriction). There is a "Donate" button on the bottom left corner of the Database page (it is also present in the mobile version). This links to a paypal contribution page, which is the safest, less intrusive way of contributing (it is also extremelly fast). Contributions aren't mandatory. Everything in the website is free. I'll leave it up to you if you think I deserve some help.

If there is something you think it would look/work better, please leave your suggestion through the contact form or through here. Please be kind with your opinions. Criticism is always welcome, but a lot of hours of sleep were lost due to this project (also, I'm still learning the infinite possibilities of web development...). What began as a personal project ended as a much bigger thing. The website may be updated if relevant requests are made.

I sincerely hope that all of you will like what I've done. I also hope you'll help this project grow into something worth mentioning. Please consider this your project as well. Some of your requests were added, some of your suggestions were very well received, but all of your posts were read with a lot of gratitude. HDN Collection Manager was mentioned several times. I hope that I managed to build something that will make you not wanting to mention it. ;) I hope that everyone that uses HDN will at least visit once, and all my friends from avforums will become regular visitors/users. I won't mention names, but I'd like to thank all the people that helped me: family, friends and you guys!

So without wanting to waste any more of your time. Here is my website: Home

Just press "Steelbook Collection". The other link is for work related stuff.

I really need to sleep... I hope that tomorrow I'll have some good news from all of you!
    P.S: Sorry for the biggest post in history....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. smabu

smabu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +859
    Welcome to the party pal. I voted database. More informative & therefore helpful.

3. The Ringmaster

The Ringmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    Great idea. I, for one, would like a steelbook Database. I know myself what I have got but I would like some sort of database that splits up steelbooks to their retailer. i.e. I would like to know what HMV have in store or upcoming for example and all of those that can be purchased at HMV are all accessible to see. Zavvi have loads available and hard to keep track at times. I would also like information for websites that have the option to deliver to the UK directly, and in addition ALL steelbooks listed that are either region A,B,C or all (confirmed 100%).

4. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Fantastic idea!

I would prefer a database. However with the database you could have the option to different titles to a collection and have a mini-database containing all your titles. Plus you could have a wish list of ones you don't have. You could also state how rare certain titles are.

Fingers crossed for an iPhone/iPad app as well. I'd help with some pictures if possible.

5. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    sounds cool - id prefer a database but maybe have an ''add to collection'' button. but i have everything anyway, but its nice to have some sort of reference too :)

6. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    You put that much better than me. That's pretty much what i meant.

7. The Ringmaster

The Ringmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    I think we can all agree that this idea will only benefit us, there's no negatives to it, and I would certainly be a regular visitor.

8. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    HDN already has the 'Collection Manager' which aims to keep track of all Steelbooks released to date and allows you to add them to your collection which can be browsed by other members. As that site already has a large user base, I think you would struggle to attract visitors to a similar site.

9. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, I can´t tell you guys how happy I am! :thumbsup: It seems it is a good idea...

Right now, I have a "public" collection and a private page, where you can browse your own collection, add movies or ask for help (by contacting me). I will wait a couple of days to wait for more suggestions, but I will certainly add a wish list and the option to add a steelbook from the public list to the wish list.

Thanks snooloui for the head up, but my idea is a bit different. The website is like a "store" with a very clean and intuitive look. And I could add features by demand like I'll do with the wish list.

What Ringmaster is asking would take a bit more time, but it would be on my to do list.

So, I will update the website with the option I mentioned and wait to see the reactions from other members. Then I will show the website and ask for feedback, if this is okay with you guys.

ssbib: I only mentioned Android, but my idea was also Iphone/Ipad. ;)

Once again, thanks for all the help!

10. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    Have you actually used the HDN Collection Manager? I think it is exactly like what you are proposing. The additional features you suggest seem to be information widely available at other websites. I don't see why anyone would visit the site you are proposing when they could just view IMDB or the forum they already use.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  11. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Good good double good. Can't wait to see it.

12. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for your feedback snooloui. I've seen the manager, so I'll keep saying that what I'm proposing is different, since it has more details for movie lovers while trying to gather everything every steelbook collector thinks is important, and also a good presentation. With that in mind, then not even what HDN has makes sense, since what they have is widely available everywhere. Or even, why would we have more than one forum about the same thing? I think that it depends on the person. It's only a personal project, that I'd like to share with others. I'm trying to create something that not only steelbook collectors enjoy, but also movie lovers. It may fail, like everything, but in the end I'll know I did my best.

Any idea, please share it! :)

13. The Ringmaster

The Ringmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    I don't wish to join HDN so I would like one for us

14. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    HDN is by far the biggest resource for Steelbooks, so the information on that site and their Collection Manager is not widely available elsewhere. Essentially you would be looking to combine that with something like IMDB for the movie information part. I just don't see the need for a website that is a combination of these. It's nothing personal, I just think it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

Fair enough, but a database for Steelbooks would require the input of many people. It would be way too much effort for a single person or even a handful of people.

15. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know it would be a lot for a single person, but everything is ready for user input. I would only control if what the user is trying to input is accurate (or even decent :)).

So, before showing the website, I'll add all my collection (about 50 or so steelbooks). Then everyone that wants to add theirs will be more than welcome. So the website will grow according to the number of users or rate of collection growth of existing members.

You are right: what I'm trying to do, didn't appear because I thought it was a problem waiting to be solved. It came as a personal challenge and a way to show my collection to my friends on the go. HDN could satisfy some of my needs, but not all of them. Steelbooks are becoming a business and are being seen only as a "cool" more expensive exterior, forgetting that the main idea should be this: A steelbook should exteriorize the heart of the movie. It should be for movie lovers. I'm trying to bring both worlds together again.

Having said that, I hope all of you (specifically snooloui) understand my motives.

16. Ben6212

Ben6212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    on snoo's side here,HDN collection manager is pretty much what you are offering,(no offence) and it is far far more active then AVforums,which is not a dig at anyone. since i use it too,but there is hundreds and hundreds of active people on HDN,and i think most of the hardcore collectors are on that site. i don't really get why people have a problem with HDN tbh.

17. Mullit

Mullit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    And if you are such a big HDN Fan you wont need to visit the proposed site then will you..I think you have made the point that you feel he is wasting his time, so leave it at that...I don't have a problem with HDN site I just prefer this one..always room for ideas suggestions.

18. Mullit

Mullit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Who has a problem...Like I said I prefer this site..plus its nice to have a choice isn't it.

19. Ben6212

Ben6212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    trust me,there is a few members on here who have some kind of vendetta against HDN. and it's ok i respect that,i like AVF for what it is,you pretty much can know every member on here. i like them both equally. i just spend more time on HDN

20. Mullit

Mullit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I was a Little surprised that's all, I am pretty new here, and feel the camaraderie, knowledge and humour really good, Its just that when some one has an idea//some times they get stamped on..its his time [and money] and the general feeling is a positive one, maybe if it is supported enough then this site/forum could be as big [bigger] than HDN or others for that matter.me personally I prefer here because it has everything at hand, Home cinema, news, classifieds pretty much everything, so that's why I prefer here...other than that I have no issue with other sites. Just my thoughts really:smashin:

21. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Guys, I didn't come here to start a war between members. I really appreciate the suggestions and hope that all the interested people will join in.

HDN has their manager. I'm making my own. Everyone that wants to join will be more than welcome, including people that already use the HDN tool.

I don't have any problem with HDN. But if I had to choose, I'd choose this one. For me, it's not about quantity, it's about quality, and avforums is a far superior website, at least in terms of presentation. This is MY personal opinion, so of course a lot of you don't agree with me.

So thanks for all the support and criticism, but please don't get mad at each other. We are all steelbook collectors and in the end of the day, that's what matters. I'll get back to you as soon as I have the wish list ready and I'm thinking of asking you guys the opinion about a logo for the site. I have 2 right now, but I may get a third one.

22. Ben6212

Ben6212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    this isnt me attacking you,but i really think you need to browse HDN more. it has everything on there too. just not steelbooks,it has comics,regular blu rays,collectables,has a dedicated thread for people to show off there collections for certain things (tarantino,disney,etc) has digibooks,regular talk about movies and excitemeant buzz,a board for discussing ultra HD (4k),other media formats (DVD,laserdisc),movie trailers,video games,video game steelbooks. it has the lot.

23. Mullit

Mullit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Nooooooo I know you wasn't didn't even think that buddy, but chappy wants to offer something to steely collectors, on this this forum and that's good...that's it really, Personally its convenience..plus I had never heard of HDN before I came on here, in fact I didn't know anything much about steels really, but I am a lot more up on them now thanks to the good folks on here. Anyway everything is good.

Futuro good idea mate count me in sir:thumbsup:

24. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No problem Ben. :smashin: Like I said: everyone has their own opinion. I've been to HDN several times. It has a huge amount of info and members. What I don't like is the presentation of the website (again: my opinion). I think Avforums has a much cleaner and appealing presentation. And it has what I want to see in a steelbook forum. HDN is the place to go if you want every bit of detail, but I don't need that. I just want to have some fun.

Let me put it like this: I've come here to gather ideas and opinions for my website. Then if someone likes the ideia, please come and join me. If you don't like it, then no problem.

25. Ben6212

Ben6212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    it's all good buddy,we're all friends here. if there is one plus from avforums i know there isnt a guy who is going to personally attack me from having different opinions to them,and yes that has happened,a guy on HDN personally attacked me. i'll look forward to your idea either way

26. Futuro

Futuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know what that is... That's another benefit of having a steelbook rather than an amaray. Swinging a steelbook has the ability of making your personal attacker lose some teeth. An amaray just tickles... Then again, there may appear some paint chips or dings after the swing. At that point all hell breaks loose and you go for the rest of the teeth. Since the harm has been done, you have nothing to loose except your temper.

27. Ben6212

Ben6212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    i'll use withnail and i on him,was only cheap and i thought the film was crap anyway :D

28. Maccadinho25

Maccadinho25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    HDN is full of steelbook "gods" and the only opinion that matters is the one they have. Its like a cult for worshiping shiny boxes. Get out of the steelbook forum though and youll find some normal people in the slip forums for example :laugh:

Good luck with what ever you come up with, im sure it will be supported by people here who dont want to log on to the other site to get "SUPER AMAZING, FRESH, EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE!!!! NEWS" :suicide:

29. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    If you want to do it, then go ahead, like you say it is a personal project. I just think you would struggle to attract the number of users required to support the site. There are a few other sites that aim to provide Steelbook news for example, but they seem to really struggle compared to HDN, Blu-ray.com and this forum. Whether some like or not, HDN is the biggest Steelbook website and most collectors eventually seem to join that site despite their best efforts not to. Yes the forum isn't the nicest place to visit at times, but it is possible to avoid it if you wish and use the site for exclusive news, group buys (the main reason for wanting to join if I'm honest) but the Collection Manager makes for a nice add on for members there.

30. HughFran

HughFran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Great idea! I have an app on my phone call MyMovies where you can scan the barcodes of movies and add them to your collection. One that is catered specifically for Steelbooks would be fantastic. Perhaps it could have a section where you can post the ones you want or the ones you are selling so that other members can approach you if they have a spare copy! Just a thought!! :thumbsup: