1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Trouble

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Rasczak, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on a problem I'm having with Steam at present? As of last weekend I was happily playing Counterstrike: Source - since then nothing has changed on my PC setup (indeed I haven't used this particular PC since then!). However when I booted my PC yesterday Steam was unable to find a network connection. Thought the server might be down so I tried again this moring - exactly the same. :suicide:

I am running Windows XP Home using a Belkin Wireless modem router (the PC in question is connected via Ethernet). Firewall and Virus protection are from Norton - Steam.exe is set to 'permit all' and has never had any problems before. All my other 'internet' programmes seem to be operating normally: internet explorer still can access websites, outlook express works, Digiguide still gets updates and I can still play Star Wars: Battlefront online.

I thought Steam might have become corrupted so I uninstalled and tried the Steam Installer. That can't see the internet either! So I am now steamless and can't get it back. Can anyone suggest how I might get it up and running again?

Many thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Sorted :thumbsup:

The Steam.exe was updated last week. Someone must have logged onto my PC and click 'No' when Norton asked if the modifed Steam.exe could access the internet - I disabled the Firewall and all is now well :smashin:

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The only thing i noticed yesterday was a Steam/Counterstirke download taking place during the afternoon. Not sure how large an update but i had to log out and log back in to access to Steam.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Regarding Steam, can someone clarify something for me. I've had HL2 sitting on my desktop since launch. I haven't played it yet but will do soon. I was looking for any patches released but couldn't find a thing. Does Steam update the game automatically or am I not looking hard enough!? :confused:

5. RoanS

RoanS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it auto updates, so no need to worry :thumbsup:

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Ok thanks RoanS! :)

7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That'll teach ya to you virus software :D

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I havent really played much on steam since I got BF2. But today I had a quick shot of CS Source and noticed a new type of game play where people spawn just after being killed and there are no hostages to rescue.

What the hell is that all about? It opens up "spawn camping" and selecting weapons takes too much time and usually you end up geting shot while you are looking for a particular gun.

Is this some weird mod or a legit mode? Ive seen this on a couple of servers now and I usually just leave as soon as I see what they are doing.

9. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I havent played CS for ages either but there were maps like you describe months ago,just like a sort of deathmatch thing going on,very hectic and a bit quakey really;not my cup of tea tbh :rolleyes:

10. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    It's a mod or plugin, where you run around like a lunatic like Quake 3. It's on normal CS too, if you look for respawn servers.

CS:S is just the same as normal CS, you don't respawn, you just wait till the last guy standing or bomb exploded or hostages rescued etc.

The recent updates on Steam are mainly VAC2 enabled on most valve games and new detections.