Steam Trouble

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Tomathee, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Tomathee

Tomathee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Evening guys, been having some trouble trying to install/play Deadlight picked up in the sale a few weeks ago. I also bought Limbo and tried to play that a few weeks ago but had this same problem and after trying various attempts gave up and requested a refund. Thought it was just a one off but now it has happened with this as well.

It appears to install but when going to play I get a 'Deadlight failed to start (error code 51)'. The same code as I had with Limbo. I've tried several steps from pages on google - verify the game files, re-install the game, run steam as administrator, re-install steam, run the games .exe directly, change the language and region on the PC, turn off the firewall.

Anybody have any more suggestions? Bit annoying really as I've wasted two evenings now repeating the same things I did trying to get Limbo to work.

Thanks for reading

2. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    Are you using F-Secure anti virus?

3. Tomathee

Tomathee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers andi, don't have f secure or any of the third party anti virus programs on the list from the steam help pages. I don't know what changed but if it does affect all games I try and install then it must have been recent as I installed Alan wake about a month ago and had no problems.

4. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    I haven't looked the problem up online Tom, I had a look at a mates PC a week or so ago and it was acting similar and it turned out to be F-Secure anti virus. It could be one of many things, maybe not what you want to hear but if I'd spent my two evenings trying to diagnose the fault and failed I would do a complete fresh install just to get rid of the headache of going around in circles looking for the fault mate.

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,236
    Run malwarebytes just in case. Install autoruns to check all start up entries.

When you say you installed steam did you delete it all apart from the exe and run?

6. Tomathee

Tomathee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks guys, I might have solved it but haven't had time to test properly. The thought of re-installing Windows and the hassle of moving Steam, Itunes, SSD files etc led me to try uninstalling all the non-essential programs to see if one was causing a problem. I noticed they can be sorted by date installed so did that and a couple were between the time of the last game I successfully installed and when I found this problem. Started removing them and I believe I found the culprit - Trusteer Rapport. Hadn't considered it as I thought it was just for internet browsing and it wasn't mentioned on the steam help pages or on any other help threads I read through, I'm also fairly sure I disabled it quite a while ago for some reason or other. Once I uninstalled it I could get as far as the home screen on Deadlight. I will test some more tonight and move back my steamapps folder. May be misremembering but I think I installed it a few years ago from a recommendation on my internet bank (Nationwide). Could have been an update which caused an issue but I'll get my Steam sorted and see if I can put it back on without issue or if I'll have to run without it, I will report back.

Thanks for the help again :smashin:

7. Tomathee

Tomathee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Just to update, everything seems to be working fine since I removed Trusteer Rapport. I've installed a couple of games including those that had the issue to check and haven't encountered any problems. Seem to have lost a couple of save games from older titles like Assassins Creed during one step or another but the rest I looked at were intact, no biggie as I'd completed it anyway.

Thanks for the replies chaps