Steam Deck

Linus has a play

Linus went for it and tested everything he could, nice job! Has me even more excited.

For me, the size comparison with the Switch is very favourable. Its bigger, but not extremely so and where its bigger it brings more ergonomics.

Linus went for it and tested everything he could, nice job! Has me even more excited.

For me, the size comparison with the Switch is very favourable. Its bigger, but not extremely so and where its bigger it brings more ergonomics

I'm so excited by the potential of this device. I really want Steam to release a 10'' or 13'' version with their PC architecture. It'd be very very interesting.

I'm so excited by the potential of this device. I really want Steam to release a 10'' or 13'' version with their PC architecture. It'd be very very interesting.

If it is successful enough you can sure bet that others will try and replicate it and no doubt Valve will be keen to sell the controller tech.
We'll have Dell/Alienware, HP, Asus, Razer etc along at some point. Some of them will completely miss the point as always and peddle out a load of crap branded as "Steam consoles" with cut down specs and RGB slapped on it (not that I personally mind RGB) and some will get it right ;)

Feeling better about the pre order now, won't just be for older games, the gaming hardware focus will give a great handheld experience for a wide range of games..

I'm glad it hasn't got a webcam to be honest. I just got an e-mail asking me to pay $672 to stop a video of me mastrubating (that was the spelling) in front of my phone being sent to all my friends

Why it's $672 is beyond me? Maybe it's $100 per minute?

This thing is going to be great so excited for this. I have a Switch Lite but most of my game library is on PC.

Not worried about the screen size. The DPI at that screen size should be more than fine.

I'm hoping medium settings and 50fps to 60 fps is going to be the vast majority of games which I think in handheld format will look great. What I'm curious about is FSR. Custom builds of Proton already have FSR built into them as the upscaling algorithm for non native game resolutions. I've already had a play with it and it works pretty good. What I'm really interested in is sub 720p resolutions scaling up to 720p. That might allow for way more 60 fps experiences and on a small screen with high DPI will FSRs low res issues might not actually be a problem.

Someone knocked up a Steam Deck customiser:

Just for fun obvs, but could prepare you for some spray paint mods in Q3 2025.

Really enjoyed this read of Valve's history of gaming on Linux ultimately leading to the Steam Deck.

Getting a little concerned that Ubisoft games won't be playing nice with the Steam Deck due to the UPlay launcher starting up.

Getting a little concerned that Ubisoft games won't be playing nice with the Steam Deck due to the UPlay launcher starting up.
Why? I have launched Ubi games from the Steam big machine (or whatever it is called) in the past no issue.
In fact, rainbow six seige is in my steam library, but launches from Ubi

Uplay now known as Ubisoft Connect is supported by Lutris the general purpose Linux tool to make windows game stores run, for example recent game Immortals Fenyx Rising reports as just running out of the box.

SteamOS and Lutris use the same tech but its built into SteamOS so it should have it running provided there are no further anti-cheat/DRM issues by Ubisoft.

This is the other thing with Steam Deck, if it sells, it offers another market to other store fronts and brings Linux right into the spotlight. Will be interesting for sure seeing the state of play in a couple of years, would be great if Windows gets a bit of proper competition..

This is the other thing with Steam Deck, if it sells, it offers another market to other store fronts and brings Linux right into the spotlight. Will be interesting for sure seeing the state of play in a couple of years, would be great if Windows gets a bit of proper competition..

Yes, good point. Definitely not a bad thing to see the Microsoft monopoly of PC gaming loosened. Personally I’m agnostic about Linux, I have used it, but I don’t have any preference relative to Windows in general. I understand the hobbyist aspect of running Linux for gaming but I spend enough time in my day job farting around with PCs to be jumping through hoops to get a just a fraction of my games running almost as well as they do under Windows. I know it has improved a lot recently, but until Linux runs all my PC games from all the online stores seamlessly, I doubt I will switch my main PC to it.

Dual-booting is an option but if everything works on Windows, and only some content works on Linux, personally I can‘t be bothered. With recent progress I would almost consider it, but then Game Pass has come along with such a ridiculously good offer (for now), that I would stil be reluctant to give up Windows. Microsoft win again, unfortunately.

The Steam Deck does change things up a bit though, it will be interesting to see how many games run, and how many run perfectly and what kind of developer support it attracts. Valve don‘t want Deck specific ports, but if they manage to shift a few million of these units then developers are going to want to make sure their games run well on it. If it is as successful as we hope, it may well change the PC gaming landscape with more developers targeting Linux directly. I don’t think there is even anything to prevent Ubi, EA, and even MS releasing Linux versions of their own clients if they wanted to.

Yes, good point. Definitely not a bad thing to see the Microsoft monopoly of PC gaming loosened. Personally I’m agnostic about Linux, I have used it, but I don’t have any preference relative to Windows in general. I understand the hobbyist aspect of running Linux for gaming but I spend enough time in my day job farting around with PCs to be jumping through hoops to get a just a fraction of my games running almost as well as they do under Windows. I know it has improved a lot recently, but until Linux runs all my PC games from all the online stores seamlessly, I doubt I will switch my main PC to it.

Dual-booting is an option but if everything works on Windows, and only some content works on Linux, personally I can‘t be bothered. With recent progress I would almost consider it, but then Game Pass has come along with such a ridiculously good offer (for now), that I would stil be reluctant to give up Windows. Microsoft win again, unfortunately.

The Steam Deck does change things up a bit though, it will be interesting to see how many games run, and how many run perfectly and what kind of developer support it attracts. Valve don‘t want Deck specific ports, but if they manage to shift a few million of these units then developers are going to want to make sure their games run well on it. If it is as successful as we hope, it may well change the PC gaming landscape with more developers targeting Linux directly. I don’t think there is even anything to prevent Ubi, EA, and even MS releasing Linux versions of their own clients if they wanted to.

I just want the next evolution. Steam deck IPAD edition.

A 13'' steam deck essentially with a bundled controller. would be game-over.

Someone was asking about comparison to GPD Win Max, this is as close as you'll get for the moment. Have to say Steam Deck looks incredible value against these things as a gaming PC, I'd struggle to part with over a grand for any of them that's for sure..

Well I’m a bit late to the pre-order party but just stuck a deposit down on the 512gb version. Saying ‘After Q2 2022’ so plenty of time to muse it over and decide. The reservation gives me options.

Do I Need it? Nope. Do I Want it? Hell yes!

Dev kits are getting out there!

Not too long now to wait, 3 months and we should have it in our hands.

I want to ask about microSD cards

Ill probably get a 400GB size but do i need to buy a Sandisk Extreme card or just a Sandisk Ultra?

About £30 differance currently.

Not sure if thats worth the differance, i guess if anything it will speed up load times, but as i only ordered the base model Steamdeck, load times are going to be longer from the internal HD anyway.

A good SD card overview taken from reddit:

22286e62kcj71.jpg

with quote:

I would say getting a micro-sd card with A2 Class is recommended for the Steam Deck.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is pretty good for the price

Which I think is on offer on Amazon atm.

Ok so the Extreme pro is A2 and £115

The Extreme is A2 and just £88

I see no differnaces at all from the markings

1631702100269.png

1631702115590.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom