Steam Deck

Ono

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Now this came as a surprise! Portable access to the 1,400 games in my Steam library is too enticing to ignore!

£349 - £549 depending on storage choice.

Yep keeping an eye on this, alot of games i want to play on my switch are games i can get alot cheaper on steam and on a device that will probably play them better.
I might actually pull the trigger on this one.

Was just reading about this. Looks decent TBH. I also caught someone saying that as its a PC then surely you can also play Xbox Game pass on this too meaning its quite possibly an Xbox handheld too.

Looks cool, hopefully Valve are smart enough to reach into their pockets and pay for optimized ports of at least some of the most popular games on Steam.

This runs a linux OS and uses Vavle's proton tech to allow running windows games in linux environment, the new Steam OS also has a very nice desktop mode that could grow into something more if they get the momentum behind them and make it easy to ditch windows.

Was just reading about this. Looks decent TBH. I also caught someone saying that as its a PC then surely you can also play Xbox Game pass on this too meaning its quite possibly an Xbox handheld too.

Xbox games pass titles are encrypted and only run on windows so you'd have to install windows on this handheld PC.

Open platform too?

Can open up a load of options on emulation etc.

What version are you guys getting ? I was going to get 512 but not sure what anti glare is like on it

Open platform too?

Can open up a load of options on emulation etc.
Yes.

retroarch is your one stop shop for emulating a huge range of systems and its already on the steam store or you can bypass steam store and install it via any other means supported by SteamOS (which is linux).

retroarch has a flatpak and appimage version which is roughly equivalent to a windows software installer or standalone exe but for linux.

It looks really interesting, but I do have concerns:

1) Price - People keep saying that it is competitively priced and that Valve are almost certainly going to be making a loss on it. It is competitively priced for a gaming PC, but not compared to the only other really viable handheld gaming device; the Switch. If you're going to install AAA titles on it, you're probably going to want the faster storage option of the 256GB, rather than the 64GB/Micro SD option.
If you're not going to be putting AAA titles on it, and stick to indie titles, you may as well go with the cheaper/lighter Switch.

2) If you have A.N.Other games console, the AAA games are likely to be similar prices and run better than the Steam Deck equivalent, albeit that another games console isn't portable. Bontakun3000 above mentioned that a lot a switch games are cheaper on Steam. I'm not sure, but there are often Nintendo eshop sales where indie titles are very cheap, especially if you use alternative regions (Russia/Poland etc).

3) The weight, shape and size - Seems to be almost twice as heavy as the Switch, longer, bulkier and the button placement looks to be less than ergonomic.

Having said all that, I do love a gadget and games, and am massively tempted to get one.

I laughed my **** off at first but must admit the idea is growing on me.

What generation of systems do we think this could emulate via Retroarch? Could it be PS2 / original Xbox?

I laughed my **** off at first but must admit the idea is growing on me.

What generation of systems do we think this could emulate via Retroarch? Could it be PS2 / original Xbox?
The way cemu is going, I think botw at 720p is completely realistic

I usually wouldn't bother with a portable gaming system but the prospect of something able to run emulation intrigues me ... a lot
Was looking and 256gb might be ok but at that price I'm thinking spending the extra to double the storage is probably better option. There are loads of steam games I have not necessarily big AAA titles I might also use this for.

Real tempted but when I got a Vita I only played it for a few months despite having a big back catalogue. Will be interesting to see how much the dock is, hooking up to the bedroom TV may give it another plus for me, but it ain't cheap for half a terabyte as it is..

You could probably emulate switch games on that thing . . . . if you were a nasty pirate that is!

This looks great. Like Toasty, I barely used my Vita before getting rid of it. My teen might like one though, so hopefully he gets one and I can have the odd blast like I do with the two Switches in the house. I don't play portable games often enough to justify the cost, especially since moving to working from home!

I do this every time a new handheld comes out. Being a gadget lover I find myself wanting one, I buy the device, use for a month or two, then it spends the rest of its life in a drawer, and only comes out on very rare occasions. I’ve learnt my lesson, no more handhelds for me :nono:.

I’ll just have another look though :thumbsdow

I do this every time a new handheld comes out. Being a gadget lover I find myself wanting one, I buy the device, use for a month or two, then it spends the rest of its life in a drawer, and only comes out on very rare occasions. I’ve learnt my lesson, no more handhelds for me :nono:.

I’ll just have another look though :thumbsdow

I feel this would be the way of things if I bought one too. And £459 is a lot of money for something that sits in a drawer after a month.
I'll probably spend the £4 reservation fee, just in case though...

I like the sound if this. The specs look good, although I’d have to describe the design as ‘functional’ at best. I have well over 700 games in my Steam library, very few of which I have actually played, so a new handheld that comes with an immediate massive library of games is not to be sniffed at. Not sure I would get the use out of it to justify the more expensive models, but the base one looks ok for occasional use and it easily out-guns a Switch.

I’m less worried about it’s ability to run upcoming games over the next few years, I‘d always want to play high end games on a high end PC, but I would be happy to be able to run anything from the last couple of years or older and use it to mop up my backlog. I’m sure I would still use it at home mostly - I have never taken my Switch out of the house even though I only use it handheld - so low storage capacity would be offset by in home streaming.

I think I've talked myself into this, the £459.00 version being the sweet spot. Available to reserve from 10am PDT, think that's 6pm in the correct time?

Have similar feelings about gadgets and handhelds as most in here yet I thoroughly surprised myself how much action my Raspberry Pi 4 powered Piboy DMG gets. Both handheld and hooked up to the TV with bluetooth gamepads for casual multiplayer in the living room. I see this as a worthy upgrade to that.

Btw... the screen is reported as being 400 nits. If that etched glass was really needed it would be on all versions.

I am currently on the fence with it - if maybe I didn't have a laptop I would consider it more. Though I am now thinking I could possibly get rid of that, get one of these and along with my portable monitor be well away.
The price for the small spec doesn't look too bad at all, and when you consider it has USB-C no reason why you would opt for the lowly SD card speeds to play your games from either, though the built in MMC based storage does fill me with horror, never had one that I hadn't immediately wanted to rip out and set of fire (they are soooo slow)

And anyone looking at alternate OS options - ChimeraOS - used to be GamerOS but has recently rebranded, it's an offshoot of the original SteamOS project but with far more customisation and quality of life updates along the way. It's been a couple of years since Steam updated their own branch IIRC until last nights announcement

Last edited:
Mid-tier, job done.

signal-2021-07-16-153818.jpg

Now there's a thought...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom