Stealth install, giant homemade soundbar under tv and fire

MT1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning a new room, something along the lines of the picture I've attached. I'm trying to juggle TV, Fire and Speaker positioning to come up with a plan.
Mine would be slightly different, the edge of my room would be the right side of the fireplace and the TV on the left, with the window behind. So effectively half Tv/window, half chimney breast.
I want to get an Atmos 5.1.2 set up installed, front height ceiling speakers and rears are no problem , but I don't know what to do at the front.
I'm thinking of getting a 50inch TV that will sit on the shelf, so I can't work out how to position a centre speaker.
I also have an AV Receiver to hide.
I'm willing to trade some sound quality to achieve a minimalist look, it's a second room, but I think once I get used to the 4k TV versus my existing old 1080p projector might mean it start to become the main room so I want it to be fairly good
Things I'm thinking about
- Hide everything in the cabinet below and use material to cover it. Not sure if this will just look a bit cheap and I can't find any examples.
Actually as I'm writing this that is starting to sound good. I guess I could cover the whole length in some kind of acoustically transparent material and hide some boofshelfs for l/r, a centre , sub and amp. Basically a giant soundbar!!
Anyone have any thoughts, pitfalls, or an example of a similar setup

Last edited:
Picture not working for me I'm afraid...

I can't see the picture either. What are the dimensions of the room, and the space available for the LCR?

Have you considered actually using a high-end soundbar, or perhaps the MK MP-9, which incorporates all three speakers into the same cabinet. Allan at Ideal AV had a white one going for less than RRP a short while back.

Can you see this?
House General
or this
room.jpg
I'm thinking of something like that, particularly the second link with the window behind the TV so wall mounting is not possible.
The dimensions are 3 x 4m approx, with the width for the Tv/fire being the 3m, therefore the space for the LCR is a 3m x 50cm cabinet ( or whatever the height of the shelf ) that I can divide up however I like

I like the look of that M&K MP9, I'll have a look into that.

I have to get a reasonably complete design to the architect by the end of the week so we can get detailed plans drawn up, so I've been trying to come up with something that leaves me options until I work out exactly what to do. I really don't want to end up in the situation where I think "if I'd just put that window a bit to the right I could have fitted everything in perfectly"

What I like about the idea of having a long section at the front covered with acoustically transparent cloth is that I can just put what ever I like behind it, they don't even have to be nice looking speakers, which opens up my options. Also it isn't a compromise soundwise, I should be able to fit some decent size kit under there, including the Sub, AVR and any other boxes, plus all the wiring is straightforward.
It feels like that eureka moment that I've been trying to get to for weeks :)

My only concern is that too much acoustic fabric across the front might not look good, but I think if I get that professionally done rather than bodge it myself it might be okay. I'm going to get some samples of this stuff, I think it might be better quality then typical speaker grill cover...
Acoustic Transparent Fabric - Lucia range

I've been looking at some B&W options this afternoon, for rear and ceiling mounts, CCM664 and CWM6??, then seeing if I could pick up a bargain used B&W LCR and Sub.
I'll be having the rear wall and ceiling rebuilt and re-plastered so I have a chance to wire everything in and use proper back boxes.

I've got months maybe a year before this will all be in place, so I was thinking I could wait around on the classifieds to pick up what I need over the next few months.

clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
room.jpg is viewable - the other link goes to a pinterest page.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom