1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stb to pc simple answers needed please?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, May 18, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have been thinking of setting up a connection between my ntl stb and my pc, basicaly what i want to do is watch and record tv at a reasonable level, im not too bothered about having the greatest quality but something that will be watchable on my monitor (a 19" lcd if that matters) i also wanna do it as cheaply and simply as possible so i dont want to fork out a load of cash on a sweetspot card or whatever. i have been looking arround this forum and i know there are a lot of threads on this but they are far too many and complex for me to totaly understand and have people wanting far far more than i do ie high definition and things. please could someone give me a really simple anwser to what i need how to set it up and how easy the recodring would be? im very new to the whole audio visual/pc interface idea and dont really know what im doing.

thanks for any help especialy any i can understand lol.

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    OK I know that I will be flamed for this but the simplest way of doing what you want is a scart -> compersite and stereo. I know that its the worst type of connection but for me on my 32" LCD I get just as good pic as I did from my RGB feed Tivo (if not slightly better).

Although I would say that I am using good quality cables.

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    have a look at the hauppage PVR250 cards. they will record TV from an aerial or a composite signal. if you are recording cable you'll need to use the composite input (yellow phono plug). as mentioned above you may need a SCART to composite cable to plug this into the card but this should only cost a couple of quid.

the card will make a reasonable job of recording live TV for you. you can set it just like a normal VCR (program the time and date) and just leave it.

it won't give you great quality but as you say this is not a priority I wouldn't worry about it. there are cheaper options but they are more work to get running properly and the files they produce will be huge (like, 20gig per hour). If you want simplicity then these cards are the way to go.

HTH
    owain

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you both very much thats exactly what i wanted someone to tell me what to do without using to much technical jargon which i then have to scour the net for the meaning of! thanks again :clap:

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Does your STB have an s-video output, its very simple to connect and gives a much better picture than composite. Its a little round multipin connector.

If it has, then the Packard Bell TV100 from PCWorld is only £30 and it gives a lovely picture if used with Dscaler.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Agreed, but its hardly straightforward to record with this card is it? to my mind (and I've got one of these cards) although the picture quality is great its so far away from a VCR in terms of reliability that I can never be bothered using it to record. Also you can forget using the machine for anything else if it is recording as the CPU is pretty much maxed out trying to cope (either that or you end up with massively unweildy files that need converting to a more acceptable format before you can do anything with them).

I've got to say that this is the one aspect of having an HCPC that has failed to live up to my expectations/plans. For one reason or another pretty much every solution has flaws which stop it running as a proper PVR for me. Nebula is the only card I've found which gives hassle-free recording as well as good picture quality but then you're limited to freeview/top-upTV channels.

just my thoughts,
    owain

7. chinesewhispers

chinesewhispers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Don't want to butt in, but I am looking at getting the Pinnacle Rave card simply for TV input.

I aim to use a video sender (still looking for the right one if people have suggestions) from my Digibox and the output from the video receiver into the TV card.

Anythin I should look out for? Or recommendations? The Rave card is £22 at my local supplier.

Thanks

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well, the quality's not going to be great using a video sender, but it'll give you a picture and for that sort of money its worth seeing what you think. What display device will you be using? how big is it? Is this just for watching TV or do you want to do more (like record/timeshift it)?

9. chinesewhispers

chinesewhispers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

The end output is on to a 17" Iiyama TFT.

Without having seen any video senders physically yet, what are the audio options for me? Will I need a scart out from the video receiver to a s-video/phono cable, then from the phono cable to the 3.5mm input on my soundcard? I can't see audio in option on the Rave card.

My task is this, to watch my Sky on my PC. I am looking for a cheap way to do this. It will be on in the background while I work (I have two monitors), will not be a main viewing screen, so as long as it is watchable, that's fine. Not looking to use it as a PVR either, though it could be fun.

Thanks again.

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yeah, thats usually how it works, sound going into the soundcard rather than the TV card.

In that case the video sender and a cheap TV card like the pinnacle or the lifeview 2000 will be perfect, there's no point in spending any more than either of those would cost you.

HTH:)
    owain

11. chinesewhispers

chinesewhispers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've taken the plunge and bought the Rave and the digisender.

A nightmare to get the Rave working in WinXP SP2, had to be very persistent searching the web (Pinnacle support site is next to useless).

Picture is reasonable, but can't tell if the card quality os the wireless bit is causing blocky colour at fullscreen.

Anyway, I have hijacked this thread enough now, I may start my own with some further questions.

Thanks for the advice so far.