STB control

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Philthy, Jun 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Philthy

Philthy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, guys.
    Virtually committed myself to buying a TiVo on Wednesday. Just one question...
    Does TiVo switch the STB (in my case a Pace DigiBox) on before recording a programme, and off afterwards, or does the STB have to be left on all the time?
    If it doesn't, this is just a software issue, right, and it *could* be introduced in a future software upgrade?

Thanks,

Phil.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my experience, it doesn't switch it on, and the STB does need leaving on. But this is something that could be changed in a future software upgrade.

If anyone knows different, please share.

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Tivo switches my Panasonic box on from standby to the correct channel,but does not switch it off,have been meaning to post on Tivo forums to see if it should but haven`t posted as of yet,have been too busy nailing my letterbox up,getting rid of everything to do with the outside world/phone/newspapers/websites with pop up adverts-banners/etc - lest someone should force an advert or simalar message from the devil proclaming the virtues of their product :D :devil: :D

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It took TIVO a while but they finally used the same method as various VHS machines with sat control used.
    When it needs to change a channel on the SKY digibox it sends out the SKY button code which when the digibox is switched off turns it on ready for the channel input.
    If the digibox is already on then it resets it to normal operation (No interactive or menus) and it recieves the channel change signals.

I believe this upgrade was done with the 2.5.5 software.
    I'm not a TIVO user but this subject was in a thread I was interested in reading since it related to how my VCR controlled my digibox.

5. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Something I am experimenting at the moment to cut down the time the STB is left on is to setup 'off' timers on my Pronto remote - worth a try if you own one and are worried about the time it may be on for.

Wonder why they can't/don't send the standby button code at the end of the programme?

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good for Sky owners... but some people own TiVo without Sky. TiVo does not turn on my NTL Pace STB.