1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STB Control - what's better, Sat IR control or External Link?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howardmg, Apr 14, 2005.

1. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would be interested to know what's better at controlling STBs, particularly changing the channels via a timer.

I've read on this forum that Toshiba's Sat IR controller doesn't always work, and that the Panasonic external link is better? Is this true?

Would also be keen to know how those of you with a PVR / DVD combination handle this. Do you just use the EPG / timer on the PVR to save to the PVR HDD, and then just link to the DVD for archiving? Or do you get the PVR to control the DVD? If the latter, does this need the external link?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. gmr

gmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Toshiba (XS32) and find the IR STB control works flawlessly. Not had one failure in hundreds of recordings. Easy and quick to set via the timer. Of course you have to be careful not to accidently change channel on the Sky box when recording - nothing is stopping you doing that. I have recorded 30 mins of my wife flicking around the Sky channels before!
    Cheers
    Gidon

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I also have the XS32, and the IR works flawlessly with my Sony Freeview box (once I found out the code, from this forum).

Neither system is perfect; I think it depends on the combination of boxes and how they work. For instance my Sony Freeview box doesn't have "Smartlink" on the RGB Scart; others do. Or if I had a STB box that the XS32 couldn't control, the IR would be useless.

Mark