Stay XP or not?

unweakend

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this in the xp forums, i need to buy a new disc coz i lost the old one and the company i got it from no longer exists, should i reaquire an xp disc or move on to vista? so far my view of vista is that it is a complete pile of crap, but i guess we have to move on sometimes, i jsut dont want to move onto it and be stuck with a OS that i have to constantly go online and download a new driver for when i plug one of my pieces of hardware into it.

If Xp what one would you recommend for gaming?

If vista what one would you recommend for gaming?

ok cheers, need to find a new xp now tho coz i lost the disc and the company are now dissolved so no more versions to be sent to me.

I 'upgraded' to Vista a while ago before giving up on it.I bought a copy of XP Pro 64 bit version and its fantastic.Its very stable and much faster than Vista.I will probably have a look at Windows 7 towards the end of the year,once its been out for a bit.But until then,if you have a 64 bit processor the 64bit version of XP is great IMO.

Last edited:
the problem with xp64 is driver support. Not many people bought it so the driver support was patchy.

as long as the kit you want to use has a 64bit driver then go for it.

Good point regarding drivers for x64.Hardware wise,I have only had an old Canon Lide scanner which I could not get to work in it (it is about 7 years old).Software wise,I Tunes does not work in it (although thats hardly the most windows friendly app out there !).Everything else I have tried (both hardware and software) has worked fine.Best to check before shelling out to buy it though,as its quite rare and is still quite expensive for a relatively old operating system.Personally,I rate it as the best operating system Microsoft have made to date,shame hardly anyone bought it.

Last edited:
I've had very few problems with Vista 32-bit, and certainly less than I had with XP when it was released.

I would skip XP 64-bit. Even though drivers for Vista 64-bit should work on XP 64-bit, they are not guaranteed to, and I know of a couple of cases where there are issues using certain drivers on XP 64-bit that don't exist on the (supported) Vista 64-bit.

There are people who claim Windows 2000 to be the best operating system, just as there were people who claimed that Windows 95 was superior to Windows 98. Generally, somebody has a bad experience with either:
1) a computer that is too slow to run the new operating system
2) a piece of software that is incompatible with the new operating system (especially an old virus scanner or other low-level application that screws up the OS)
I run Vista on a Dell E521, and use Office 2007, Adobe Reader 9 and other new applications and don't have problems. The majority of games also run just fine on Vista.

Last edited:
vista 64 or 32bit:thumbsup: i have run both..

it is the first op i have never uninstalled and gone back a step:smashin:

old games i was on tonight was star wars battlfront worked a charm and had EAX running via Alcamy.

From all the bad things i heard about Vista no thanks I'll wait till windows 7 SP1 comes out and i will only upgrade to that if none of my new hardware or software works with XP 32 bit.

At the end of the day i need software i can trust and use (as a PC is a tool to use).

Forking out an arm and leg for newer versions of software (which are basically the same as old ones but which run on new OS isn't worth it).

If the new ones are cheaper than the old ones where to buy and if they used quad core cpus then may be, but it would be a big may be as new software would have to 5 to 10 times better and faster than the old one.

From all the bad things i heard about Vista no thanks I'll wait till windows 7 SP1 comes out and i will only upgrade to that if none of my new hardware or software works with XP 32 bit.

At the end of the day i need software i can trust and use (as a PC is a tool to use).

Forking out an arm and leg for newer versions of software (which are basically the same as old ones but which run on new OS isn't worth it).

If the new ones are cheaper than the old ones where to buy and if they used quad core cpus then may be, but it would be a big may be as new software would have to 5 to 10 times better and faster than the old one.

that's the problem you have heard about faults, your not a user so you can not judge:smashin: and for software it must be old software you use:thumbsdow there is only one thing i had to get rid of and that was a 10 year old scanner thats because they never did a 64bit driver xp64 also,as i could of forced the driver install this i did with the vista32bit version i have:thumbsup:

Agreed. I have 4 pc's with vista running on it. :)

lol well like i said earlier i ent with vista in the end 64 bit and so far i havent had a proper minutes sleep it's been bugging me all night that the dam thing still wont let me play more than 10 minutes of my game on my 17" flat screen without turning the screen black and then me having to restart, yet it lets me play on my samsung 32" lcd TV fine. now i dunno if you guys know anything i am doing wrong or what not but i would lvoe to get this stupid thing sorted.

Sleep mode? settings? drivers?

also latest nvidia drivers are 181.22whql even if there are, when i had my old 7800gtx cards in sli the latest were never the best drivers that was in xp best overall performace and stable setup .. also reading user guides/release notes works well they post the bugs there, one that has not been posted is the BF2142 bug but thats for another thread..

post your system specs:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here namuk dunno if u want anythign else, i am actually typing this on my vista Hard drive which works for everythign except games.

CPU: Asus M2V BIOS 1706
Processor: 2x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
System RAM: 6GB
Operating System: Vista 64 Bit
Video Card: Direct X9 (Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS (which Doesnt Work for games)
Disk Space: 750GB

My Other Hard drive which works perfectly:

CPU: Asus M2V BIOS 1706
Processor: 2x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
System RAM: 3GB
Operating System: XP professional SP3
Video Card: Direct X9 (Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS)
Disk Space: 300GB

thx for all the constant replies nam aswell

the screen switching off after 15 mins have you changed your power options ..

go here , start,control panel,hardware and sound,power options, under balanced click change plan settings then turn off the display to never same with underneath.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
i done that all already m8. thx for the tip tho. i still think that the 64 bit software for the card doesnt support the gaming. i mean i dont know loads about pc's but i've done probably most of the things to do with the screen staying on options and it still goes off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom