1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stay put, or progress???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Drew C, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    howdy fellas,

After much thought , Im hopefully gonna be the proud owner of a hs10 or ae300 in the next couple of months (scraping the pennies together due to a poor wage!).Can anybody let me know if I'll get a good picture from my good old Tosh sd2109 via s-video, or would I notice a vast difference if I got myself a player with progressive scan and component outs? If so, does anybody know which models out there can give me what I need? Ive heard 'richersounds' are doing a 'limit' for £150, but ive not heard anything about this. My budget is gonna be pretty low after blowing everything on a projector (probably gonna be a credit card job actually!).

What a great online community this is!:clap:
  2. John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I don't have much experience of progressive players, but I'm sure that even a good non-progressive player with a component video output will be a lot better than your existing player with S-video output.

Another option would be to try to set up a home theatre PC. This will give you a picture that is at least as good as, if not better than, the best progressive players.

I personally have my home theatre PC set up in the study upstairs (where it acts as a normal home PC at the moment too) and I run the digital video (DVI) and sound (SPDIF) through wires in the walls.

This may not be an option for you.

I would suggest that you tend to get what you pay for.... £150 is not going to buy you a good quality progressive DVD player with a component output.

I would suggest thinking about spending £500 upwards if I was you - especially if you are thinking of using an HS10. There is no point in spending money on a decent projector and then feeding it a poor signal since your system is only going to be as good as the weakest link. This also applies to your sound system as well to be honest... If you've got 5 small plastic speakers then you're not going to get the same experience as someone who has an expensive THX certified amp and 4 floorstanding speakers and two centres....

If you have a fixed budget I would think very carefully about where to spend it. You might be able to get a slightly cheaper unit than the HS10 and then make sure the DVD player and sound gear is up to the task.