Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Stax SR-007 And SRM-717 Help Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by plague1392, Jan 28, 2003.

1. plague1392

plague1392
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, sorry if I’ve got the wrong forum. Speakers seemed about the closes to headphones/ear speakers.

I recently got a bonus and am considering buying a pair of Stax SR-007 headphones/ear speakers probably with the SRM-717 driver unit, but I don’t really know much about audio equipment. I just want to buy something decent so I know I’m enjoying sound to the fullest and hopefully it won’t have to be replaced for a while. After reading around I’ve got a few (4) questions and concerns. I’d be extremely grateful for any advice you could offer.

My biggest concern is the 6-41,000Hz frequency response of the Omega IIs. While the driver unit would give the full range of sound for SACD (100KHz) and DVD Audio (96KHz) the headphones would not. With products available like the Panasonic Technics RP-FDA100/RP-HDA100 with a frequency response of 3-100,000Hz and SACD becoming fairly commonplace, it’s looking like the Omega IIs are a bit of a waste of money. What I’m wondering is if I’ve interpreted this information completely wrong, or am I’ve got it right and you need headphones with a frequency response up to 100KHz to get the most out of SACD?

I’ll mainly be using the headphones for watching DVDs and listening to CDs and SACDs. The SRM-717 seems to be the appropriate driver until for this, but I was wondering if there’s any reason I should consider the SRM-007t?

I was going to get them from Japan because looking at the UK prices it’ll work out cheaper that way. Can you use a UK to US power transformer or do you need a different one for Japanese equipment. I’ve got the SC5329 200VA UK to US autotransformer here http://www.roshepower.co.uk/p6a.htm and was wondering if I could use that?

Finally I’m a bit concerned about the comfort of the headphones. I currently have a pair of HD600s and a pair of HD590s. I never use the HD600s because they’re a circular shape that you have to stretch over your head, so they apply a lot of pressure around the ears. In addition, the head band cushion and ear cushions are very firm, so it’s about as comfortable as having your head crushed between two rocks. The HD590s have nice soft cushions and are a U shape that fits comfortably over my head, applying no pressure around the ears, so, despite the inferior sound, I always use them.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried the Omega IIs and could offer an opinion on how much pressure it applies to your head in comparison the HD600s and HD590s. I’m rather concerned that they seem to be shaped like the HD600s and are going to cause me discomfort. Also, I’d be very interested to know how hard the ear cushions are compared to the HD600s. I really don’t want to spend all that money only to have them become an ornament like the HD600s.

Sorry to go on a bit and ask so much. I just don’t want to buy them and be disappointed so I thought I best clear a few things up before ordering. Any advice about any of the four issues would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Stax headphones, the ones that I've tried, are pretty big ad headphones go, but also pretty comfortable. I can't think of a better brand than Stax if you are thinking of listening to DVD-A and SACD. You certainly won't be disappointed.

We used to sell mainly the Basic System II at work but did a few Classics and Signatures, big improvements on each range. Not used the Omega II's myself, I'd imagine them to be very impressive.

Enjoy.:D

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The Stax phones,as RetRo says,are generally superb...very transparent soundwise,and very revealing without being sharp.

For my money,they would leave the Panasonics for dead on sound quality,irrespective of measured responses.

For my own use,I have a set of Sennheiser HD 580's driven via an Earmax single ended triode headphone amp,from a direct feed off the CD player and P3A upsampler.

Its a different approach to sound quality,but one that works as well....you may want to have a look at the Earmax(www.audiophileclub.co.uk) and also Headroom's headphone amps.