1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StatMats for CD's/DVD's - Do they work?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ollie501, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I came across these "Statmat's", and was considering the CDi Blue - does anyone have any experience of them - do they actually live up to the hype, or is it just that.
    I can sort of see the theory behind them - a good few years ago you could buy "ring" thingy's that went around the edge of a cd (stuck to the top), which reduced vibration. I have one on my copy of Brothers In Arms, and it does improve the quality. Question is, do these?
    They seem a little more complex than just a vibration dampener, which leads me to wonder if they are of any point, and if so, is it worth going for the CDi Blue, or would a cheaper single layer one do just as well.

Thanks

Ollie

Statmat Link is here!

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Ollie.

My dealer gave me one of these a while back when i purchased a DVD player.

I couldn't say i heard any noticeable difference.

I personally wouldn't buy one.

Adz

3. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Unusual...most dealers give you a free sample of crack! :laugh:
    Seriously, I half expected (and half hoped) that would be the case. Any other experiences welcome though..

Thanks for the advice Adz.

Ollie

4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's lots of funny HIFI related products like these on the market, just visit www.russandrews.com to see what I mean. Personally, I'd eat my hat of any of these products actually passed a double blind test!

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

Sunday.

I know what you mean, although a power conditioner made an audible difference in my system.

That will probably be down to the fact that perhaps my mains supply isn't particularly clean.

Adz

6. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I accept that power conditioner stuff could work, heck I fancy trying one myself, it's just the accessory type HIFI products (anti static CD mats etc.) that get me!

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Power conditioning certainly does work,especially with either digital equipment,or very high current loads(Class A power amps etc)...as for the mats.....maybe if you have a very poor transport,and the mat keeps the CD in place better?.....otherwise I think it's like most of those things.....if you WANT to hear a difference you will.

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read a really convincing article about copying your CD's onto black blank discs. Lasers can read them the best. Never found any but the author said he did loads of blind tests and used his wife too (sound familiar :)?)