1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Static noise from loewe tv

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tjhooker, Sep 28, 2005.

1. tjhooker

tjhooker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: My loewe aventos has just started to make a loud static type noise from the rear part of the tv, quite loud, and changes intensity (or disappears) when the picture on the tv changes.

Is this serious or anything I can do to sort it? TV is 2 and half years old.

Thanks for any help.

2. celestica

celestica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi tjhooker im new at this so dont know to much about forums but as regards the loud static noise if you havent found out yet heres my attempt
    the problem could be due to the crt tube connnector which is plugged into the back of the screen it come from the line output transformer if you take the back off and then switch on you may see arcing going around the tube (this is best seen in a darkish room) the cure for this is to switch off and leave it for a day or two (the longer the better safety wise) so that any remaining high voltages in the tube will dissapate
    (1) remove the cap that is attached to the tube (fiddly)
    (2) get some surgical spirits and a cloth
    (3) wipe all around the area where the eht cap fits making sure that is clean when your finished. also clean the cap with spirits
    (4) then get some vaseline and put a good amount of it on the cap so that when you reinsert the cap into the tube it squashes out at the side
    (5) clean up any excess around the cap
    ( 6) now switch on ....
    tj hope this helps

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    If it's a high frequency piercing type noise that varies with picture content it's likely to be a "singing" inductor (coil) or transformer laminations vibrating.
    The windings on a coil are sealed with glue to stop them vibrating and when the windings vibrate (due to the glue drying up because of heat inside the set) this is what causes the noise...the intensity of the noise varies due to the amount of current flowing through the windings.
    It should be a relatively inexpensive repair for an experienced engineer to fix...I would advise against a d-i-y fix.
    It is not likely to be arcing from the eht connector as another poster suggests as that does not vary with picture content.

4. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    For once I (slightly) disagree with JayCee...it could be EHT. Does the static sound increase when the picture is dark? This is when the beam current is lower and the EHT may rise slightly, so the potential (sorry!) for arcing rises. I would however recommend you get a TV engineer to look at it or you may do more damage. I certainly would not put Vaseline under the anode cap!