static ip - please help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by TheAvalanche, Oct 25, 2005.

1. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have be broadband 24 meg with static IP. However, I can't seem to get the static IP to work.

The static IP does work in so much as it does not change everytime I reconnect, but I can't ping it or act as a server etc.

This is probably to do with my router (provided by be) as I have disabled all firewalls.

I just can't figure out how to assign the static ip to my computer.

I phoned be broadband and they said that I should be able to allocate the static ip to a "device" within the router setup, but the setup page says "no devices found".

I am very confused. Please, if someone could help it would be great - I am really pulling my hair out!

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok, lets try this....

Your router is the device which on the WAN side (The internet) has claimed your static IP. If you have been smart you haev probably told it not to respond to pings.

The router performs NAT or Network Address Translations and as such relays all internet traffic to to devices on the LAN side of the router. It does this because it looks at outbound traffic and says ok so machine A is talking to google, then when I get a reply back I'll send it to machine A. meanwhile machine B sends a request to yahoo, so the router says is yahoo replies I'll tell machine B. Meanwhile all yahoo and google see are a single machine which is your router at your static ip address

so... You need to tell your router that you wish to act as a server. There are two options

a) Virtual Server/Port Forwarding/...

All the same technique, but basically they tell the router that inbound traffic on a particular port/TCP/UDP combination should be directed to a particular machine. Generally you can find a list of ports for a server application in the documentation or in the help for the router if its a common service.

b) The DMZ. or DeMilitarised Zone
    This puts one machine outside the router so all unrecognised traffic goes here. ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA. Such a thing exposes your machine to port scanners and malware. Only do it if your confident your machine is robist and secure.

As an example

lets say your router is 192.168.0.1 on the LAN side.
    Your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    Your gateway is 192.168.0.1

Your router assigns DHCP addresses from 192.168.0.10 for 16 addresses.
    You are the only machine on the network.
    You are running a webserver on the default port of 80

Then you need to set up a port forwarding/virtual server entry of

Port Type TCP
    Starting port 80
    Ending port 80
    Destination 182.168.0.10

You should then be able to see your webserver at

http://your static IP address/

Please be aware that many routers present additional problems for the web, telnet and ftp ports, as these may be used for the remote administration of these routers, you may need to find a setting which disables these external administration options without blocking traffic to these ports.

Without more router details its hard to tell you the exact names of these options in your setup. - also don't forget to turn Windows Firewall off or it will block the ports itself.

Cheers

Rajiv

3. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the online manaul for the router and it's very much as you described with the port forwarding but BE Broadband created their own templates and called everything different but I have now managed to figure it out.

4. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    glad to help!

5. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    How is Be anyway? I have not heard of any people who are up and running yet. What sort of speeds are you getting?