Static in one speaker when played loud

Dean S

Novice Member
Hello all.

I've been experiencing static noise when playing vinyl lately in a way it hasn't happened before. It gets worse when played loud and it might only be from one speaker, although I'm not sure that's the case. The thing is, it doesn't happen with every record.

As far as I can work out, it could be the speaker cable, the amp or some of my vinyl is being extra static-filled lately.

Any advice is welcomed as to how I can pinpoint the issue without spending loads of money on new cable etc. Such as, what's the best way to clear vinyl of static?

Thanks.

Orobas

Hello all.

I've been experiencing static noise when playing vinyl lately in a way it hasn't happened before. It gets worse when played loud and it might only be from one speaker, although I'm not sure that's the case. The thing is, it doesn't happen with every record.

As far as I can work out, it could be the speaker cable, the amp or some of my vinyl is being extra static-filled lately.

Any advice is welcomed as to how I can pinpoint the issue without spending loads of money on new cable etc. Such as, what's the best way to clear vinyl of static?

Thanks.
Cleaning vinyl is pretty cheap and simple really without breaking the bank.. as per the below 2 guides.. i grabbed a few sites here just to compare if any difference but they both detail the same inexpensive ways.

You can also help with static by swapping out the sleeves for Anti Static ones.. you can usually pick up a pack of 50 x 12" sleeves off amazon or somewhere from as little as a fiver

Other checks you can do just for piece of mind
swap the speakers over and see if it is the same speaker or the same channel giving the static. This elimates the speakers
Run one channel only on the amp speaker and swap... to check and rule out the amp.
Check speaker wire for frayed wires making a slight short or bad connection.
The record player stylus usually lasts for between 500-1000hours before it gets worn and needs replacing.

Orobas

That's great. Thank you. I'll try the anti static brushes and cloths first
Let us know how it went and what the fix was in the end please

Orobas

Last night all was well after brushing, but it comes and goes so I'll let you know if something changes
Yeah some vinyls are monster static gatherers.. others arent.. room temperature, the sleeve and what the vinyl is made of can affect this.. also things like the mat the record sits on the turntable as it plays can affect it.. I have always used a soft cork platter to reduce static from rubber on vinyl!

silversurfer24v

I have been suffering with static and actually getting a little shock, I have connected a length of wire to the copper radiator pipe and run it up to my turntable unit and crimped a ring to the end and it’s now stuck to the unit with a bit of tape, when placing or removing vinyl I just touch the ring end first while touching the spindle, no more static shock 😁👍

dogfonos

I have been suffering with static and actually getting a little shock, I have connected a length of wire to the copper radiator pipe and run it up to my turntable unit and crimped a ring to the end and it’s now stuck to the unit with a bit of tape, when placing or removing vinyl I just touch the ring end first while touching the spindle, no more static shock 😁👍
I suspect you have built up a static charge on yourself so a good idea to discharge your static (by touching the earthed ring) before touching the turntable. If the turntable, rather than you, had a static charge build up, I would expect you to receive a shock when you touch the TT spindle - because the TT' would discharge through you to earth via the earthed ring that you're touching.

Centrally heated homes with low relative air humidity (i.e. <40%) are possibly the main cause of domestic static charge buildups. Synthetic clothing/slippers/shoes/carpets have a habit of generating static but more humid air should reduce charge build up (a humidifier maybe?). You could try an experiment: when you notice the static problem, boil a kettle in the room for a couple of minutes and see if that makes a difference.

I used a negative ion generator in the past (a room one, not the little gun that zaps the vinyl with negative ions - though that may work well too).

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom