static electric shock after cleaning the TV foot question

Desireek

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a LG oled 55" TV with a wide big aluminium foot, today i forgot to turn it off when i dried dust of my bench.

I used a cloath and cleaned dust from the table it stand on and on the TV foot itself. (I always turn everything off when i dry the TV screen itself) but today was only a quick dust clean on the bench.

I got a static electric shock when i used the cloath on the TV foot.

I have readed that human static electric shock can fry a PC or any other electric components if you get it while plugging in a USB storage or something.

In this case i got it while touching the foot, but could this lead into the TV electronic itself and cause issues? What about the other stuff that is connected to the TV in the hdmi ports like PC and console? In this case the PC was connected to TV but it was turned off.

Could that in the theory harm the TV itself and all the gadgets connected to it?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Everything in the tv should be shielded to avoid damaging boards. Otherwise there would be a lot falling over. Should be ok if its plugged in IE earthed

Everything in the tv should be shielded to avoid damaging boards. Otherwise there would be a lot falling over. Should be ok if its plugged in IE earthed

Thanks for reply, the power cable from TV is in a earthed outlet in the wall, but i dont think the power cable itself have the earth plug just the regular one like a indoor lamp (no earth point on the stick)

TV is a lg oled c8, it have aluminium foot and i think the chassis around is aluminium too. So the mount into TV is plastic but the foot itself is in contact with the chassis so i think the static electric got into the chassis as well, as you say it’s all depend on how well the TV is isolated from this.

So if it’s bad isolated from this issue the question is if it goes trough the hole system and moving into unpowered units that is connected to the TV from hdmi cables?

I dont think this would be the last time someone toutch the foot and get a small static shock

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom