1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StateSide Panasonic SC-HT900...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by monsieurblack, Dec 16, 2003.

1. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi all :)

how goes it?

apologies for starting [yet] another thread on the ol' Panasonic SC-HT900 system but i just have a quick question that is holding me back from taking the final plunge and actually buying! :D

well, i've just recently been visited by some good friends of my from the states and we got on to the subject of home av etc as they came 'round my place and saw my new tv [Sony 32FX68]. he was showing off ;) how he has just got himself some 65" plasma/lcd jobby [afraid i can't remember exactly what :blush: i think it may possibly have been a mitsubishi? :confused: but i can't be sure...anyway...] and an all-in-one surround sound system. as spooky as it was it just so happen that he had bought the exact model i was looking in to getting! freaky eh?!? so after i got over my shock/jealousey [spl.?] we got talking about the details that matter...and yup you guessed it! money! :rolleyes: now, if you are sitting heres the news...best price i have found appears to be at www.dvdworld.co.uk for just under £400 [yes thats english pounds, pounds sterling...] and my good friend payed a whopping...$400!!! :rolleyes: damn :( thats a big price difference eh? i know that it the same across the board so to speak but it just hit home when we were dicussing the exact same product.

so, to bring me on to the actual question :) they have offered to buy it for me and ship it over. i was wondering whether this is a good move? as the system alone would come in at around 225-230ish so thats a substantial saving. i understand a transformer would be required to actually use the system here but apart from that is there anything else i need to know? is this something i should just forget about? and bite the bullet and buy here? warranty isn't really a concern of mine as i've rarely used one [if ever!] so that'd be ok. i would need to get it chipped as i have some region 2 dvds too...how much can i expect to pay for such a mod? and then theres the issue of import taxes...would i be 'clobbered'? or as it would be shipped from by 'person' instead of a 'company' would that mean exemption?

so basically...good or bad idea to get from across the pond? :D

sorry to run on!
    many thanks people
    take care
    monsieurblack

2. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will stand corrected but i would say it is a bad idea as to my knowledge the us 900 will be designed to play ntsc movies only which would render your region 2 pal discs utterly useless and confine you to buying region 1 discs only.

3. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya dazzler123

thanks for you reply :smashin:

yeah i understand about it being region 1 only. i own a mixture of regions so would need it to be modified to play all regions...any idea of the costs? just trying to work out rough figures as a guide to see whether it'd be worth doing

thanks for your response :)
    anyone else? ;)
    monsieurblack

4. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi well u can get a 900 done for about £30 i think via a chipped remote, but i can not stress enough that a multi region USA 900 model still would not play r2 discs as they are pal encoded rather than the ntsc standard in the states, uk players play both us ntsc and UK Pal modes Usa models dont it is not a region thing but a hardware one.

5. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ah ha :blush:

thanks for that :clap: i didn't realise that the hardware was different too [except for the region 'thingy' technical term ;):D] and now i do :lesson: well looks like us brits/europeans get a better deal in that respect then...although it still doesn't help the pain on the ol' bank account :rotfl: lol

thats saved me a lot of heart-ache though...i think i'l take a look at the one in a local store this evening and then possibly place the order at www.dvdworld.co.uk in the next couple of days...???

cheers dude
    monsieurblack

6. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    monsieurblack did you say£400 at www.dvdworld.co.uk i presume that is multi region i tried to have a look via the link but it says website unavalible the cheapest i have seen the 900 is £379 region 2 and £419 multi region i could be intrested in a multied 900 at £400.

7. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yup :smashin:

:cool:

from memory £398.99 or something close to that :p

multiregion too. i'm considering ordering in the next few days [possibly;):eek:] i may also pay a little more for next day delivery...

i was originally looking in to techtronics but after the bad 'vibes' its been getting from peeps here...i thought i'd save myself from any 'hassle' and was pointed to dvdworld by a member here [sorry can't remember name :blush: but you know who you are! :D thanks]

i'm a sucker for those sexy lookin speakers :suicide: he he
    monsieurblack

8. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well i can’t get to their website also sent an e-mail which was returned to me undelivered so could not mail them either don’t suppose you have a phone no do you?

9. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya matey :)

'fraid not :(

i'm also getting no joy from their site now...a bit frustrating eh? i'll let you know as soon as i can access their site and/or have a phone number if thats ok? :)

sods law
    monsieurblack

10. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ah ha! :lesson:

does this help? :cool:

By Telephone: +44 02392-231177 / 1199
    By Fax: +44 02392-232277

Or by post:
    DVDWorld
    Unit 38, Brambles Enterprise Centre
    Waterberry Drive
    Waterlooville
    Hants
    PO7 7TH
    United Kingdom

just did a quick search and found it...let me know how you get my friend :clap:

luvvly jubbly :smashin:
    monsieurblack

11. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers mate.

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Digital Point is outlining progressive scan (which is the ntsc one only) but in the headline it doesn't say region2 or multi-reg.

The price is £379, maybe worth giving them a call to ask?

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.asp?ID=464

wasabi

13. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no probs :smashin:

fantastic :cool:

thanks for the heads up Wasabi, much appreciated. i'll try and give them a call today...i'll let you know the outcome and post here...

getting closer...
    monsieurblack

14. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    www.digitalpoint.co.uk £379 region 2
    www.dvdplayers.co.uk £399 region 2
    www.multiregionmagic.co.uk £419 +£10 delivery multiregion and vcr dvdr mode next day delivery

Multiregionmagic is the cheapest i can find in stock and multiregion
    i have called both digital point and dvdplayers and they have confirmed they are selling r2 only models .

15. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi again :)

thanks for that...i had a feeling it may have been too good to be true at digital point

you say multiregionmagic is the cheapest in stock and multiregion...but have you had a chance to try dvdworld yet? as they say theres is multiregion and is selling for just shy of 400 i'm looking at getting it from them myself [wish they also sold the sony freeview box as i'd also that at the same time too :D lol]

let me know how you get on with dvdworld :cool:

thanks matey
    monsieurblack

16. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Hi tried to call dvdworld this morning got a recorded message saying they were to busy to answer calls and that due to a system failure their website was down to, apparently they are working very hard to try and rectify the situation.

17. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ah :suicide: :clown:

ok thanks...i'll have to give them a try later on then :)

i really want to get this now...sods law as soon as i make my mind up and take the plunge [oh, and worry about the money after xmas ;)] i can't place my order! lol :rolleyes:

hey ho...i'm sure its some kind of 'message' :rotfl: but hey...since whens that stopped me before! :smoke: :smashin: ha ha

well, i'll let you know how i get on
    hhhmmm...sony freeview box is becoming a very attractive 'prezzie to me' this christmas too :D
    laters
    monsieurblack

18. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    mounsieurblack

Check out multizonedvd price £435 including delivery but they also have a store in the brewery shopping centre in romford if you happen to live in the region. They also sell the Sony VTXD800U Freeview for £105 including UK delivery (haven't checked stock though). http://www.multizonedvd.co.uk/acatalog/Multizonedvd_com_DVB_Set_Top_Box_433.html

Amazon and Unbeatable has it for £105 & £107 but they are waiting for stock.

But what about the Pioneer DBRTF100? Got 5stars from whathifi,whatvideowidescreen and homecinemachoice? And the price is only £80 at either Richersounds stores or http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/prod_info/tvplasma/video/dbrtf100.htm including delivery.

Wasabi

19. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wow :eek:

thanks for all that Wasabi you're a star! :smashin:

i actually live in leicester but thanks anyway dude...just checked out the multizonedvd site out and its all looking good thanks especially as they have the sony vtxd880u freeview box too...its just the panasonic all-in-one is 20-21 pounds more than at dvdworld [but i suppose thats not gonna help me too much atm seeing as their site is down and you can't get through on the phone...] i looked in to the pioneer freeview box but decided on the sony one. based on peeps opinions here and other sources on the web. it generally seemed to be pretty close between the two. pioneer did come out on top at quite a few places but i didn't really like the remote or its ui as much as the sony and my new tv is sony so i thought i'd keep it the same! :rolleyes: lol i know they're not massive reasons but the remote is a pretty shocking from the pictures imo ;)

i'll have to have a think about going ahead and placing the whole order with multizonedvd if they have stuff in stock and i'm able to place an order :)

thanks again for all you help
    monsieurblack

20. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    me again! lol

:D

just got off the phone to dvdworld...who told me that their panasonic 900 was region 2 only :confused: and that a mr didn't exist at present :confused: thats weird as i'm sure they had it advertised on their site but just a day ago :rolleyes: anyway...after your helpful link/info Wasabi i gave multizonedvd a call and they sell the 900 but not mr at the moment :confused: they are hoping if all goes well with their testing etc that they will have them come monday...:confused: not sure really but lets hope thats the case as i've decided to go for it now [despite no money :eek:] and would ideally like it all before xmas [along with the sony freeview box...] so i'll be ringing first thing monday morn :) and hopefully be placing the order :cool:

freaky
    monsieurblack

21. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I just been to their website and it is what you were told, only region2 for £400 and they charge £10 delivery as well.

My friend has a 900 system and it is very good looking/stylish/equipped and sound for the money! And when I recommended this one to him, the Jamo wasn't out yet and the Sony 888 was way too expensive for similar stuff.

Sorry about waiting for multizonedvd but did you consider multiregionmagic £419+10delivery and in stock that dazzer suggested? http://homepages.force9.net/grahamash/magic/indexhome.html And leconcepts (quite good reputation here I think) will price match http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm .

BTW, did you consider Jamo DVR50 package which cost £495 but has been raved by the others here? I must admit that the Jamo's has it all the looks/features and sound.

Wasabi

22. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi again Wasabi :)

yeah i'd read about the Jamo and its features look superb i have to say [divx play back would be a bonus but not essential :)] the progressive scan on both pal and ntsc is also cool but as my tv doesn't support progressive scan [as far as i know :blush: and i assume your tv has to be 'progresive scan capable' :confused: mine being the sony 32fx68] then i'm not going to benefit from that...also i really like the styling of the panasonics speakers [being tall/elegant and 'free-standing'] and unfortunately Jamo speakers are just the lil boxes and its something i want to get away from. i have a videologic speaker set and pioneer 636 atm and thats something that does annoy me...having the speakers just on the floor and i'm loathed to get speaker fittings screwed in to my wall as i've just renovated my house [took about 12-14 months...] and re-plastered so i don't want to 'ruin' my lovely new walls ;):D oh and the Jamo is also more :(

but thanks for reminding me about dazzer123's post re: multiregionmagic...i'll have a look :cool: along with the freeview from multizone as you suggested

many, many thanks people!
    you have all been a great help, as always!
    monsieurblack

23. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    no worries, your reasons are definitely valid, that was my friend's requirement too. Tall/good looking and free standing speakers.

900 is a great system!

Wasabi.

24. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    he he :cool:

good good...me thinks i'll give multiregionmagic a call...just gonna be awkward getting time off work to be in when it arrives :) i'm sure i'll work something out :)

thanks again
    monsieurblack

25. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you are still after one of these I picked one up for £323 including delivery, region 2 only but will get it done MR for an extra 30 by www.dvdchips.co.uk

Dixons have it for under £350 including free delivery today and tomorrow, and there are a few 7.5% off voucher codes floating about the net at the moment, so its a bargain

26. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya coolio :)

thanks for the heads up but i took the plunge just before christmas and paid quite a bit more :blush: but hey ho...can't do much about that now and i'm really pleased with it.

thanks again
    monsieurblack

27. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldnt worry mate, I was after this for a few months but hadnt seen one to test out. Within 2 days of testing one out I had to buy it, I couldnt wait any longer, just like u, unable to resist the temptation. Cant wait for mine to turn up.

28. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    he he :D

yeah, i know what you mean :) i got mine before xmas which was what i wanted and had great use of it over those days

i'm sure you won't be dissapointed :cool:

heres to waiting eh? :)
    monsieurblack

29. sicce

sicce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice yesterday that my local Comet's were selling the panny 900 for £349, and I think the chipped remotes costs approx £20 to make it multiregion.