1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stateside laptop buying query

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hey

I'm thinking about getting a US friend to bring me a 12" powerbook back from the states just wondering what the pros and cons are.

If it gets through customs undeclared I'll save about 400quid. I'm assuming that if my friend tosses the packaging (sticks some bits of masking tape on the powerbook to distress it !) and posts me the manuals and software it should be highly likely that said powerbook will not be quibbled over by customs?

I would prefer that my friend doesn't encounter any hassles over it as she is travelling with a small child.

What do you think guys: dead cert it will be hassle free or bad idea?

Again I assume if she does get caught I'm looking at 17.5% vat and no duty as its computer equipment.

Not worrried about warranty issues I can always post it back.

2. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    AFAIK

when s/he brings it into the country, provided it belongs to her there is no import charge or VAT (on the assumption that its hers and she'll be taking it back with her....)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'm assuming they won't check she's still got it on the way back or anything similarly paranoid?

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you ever been on holiday and have customs take an inventory of your luggage?

The problem, if any, would be if she did take it back the US customs might ask for proof that she hadnt bought it overseas, as it would incur US duty/import tax if it had.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Thanks man : just being extra careful as I didn't want to put her to any trouble what with alreday travelling with a young child.

From info I've gathered on the net there shouldn't be any problems with the hardware/software either.