1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stateside bound

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by b811ac1, Aug 13, 2002.

1. b811ac1

b811ac1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m about to depart these shores for Texas in September and need some advice on the best way to watch UK programmes recorded by the in-laws over in Texas.

Due to the bulkiness of videos, it’s better if a DVD recorder were purchased and left with the in-laws, and a DVD player bought over there for watching these on.

Is a Panasonic DMR-E20 better for this than the Philips DVDR1000?

Are DVD recordings compatible with the American system?

If I have to buy a Panasonic DVD-LA95 to watch recordings on, can it be hooked up to an American TV & can it play American DVDs?

Can I record using the EP mode, thus getting 6hrs recording on a single disc and then watch it back on the DVD-LA95?

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Having been thru similar stuff with my friends who relocated lat year I'd suggest getting all the stuff sorted over there ...

If you are recording UK shows off BBC America they will be in NTSC and will need to be played back on a R1 (or multiregion) dvd player to an US tv or on an internal screen ...

You can also get R1 dvds out there ... I just got LoTR for less than a tenner !!

Even tho my friend took his Arcam DV88 out there he cannot play back his R2 PAL dvd's as US TV's dont understand the signal ...

This works to your advantage as if/when you come back to UK you can still watch all your R1 dvd's over here ...

With regards to models/prices I suggest looking over at some of the US electronic's sites ... best buy / good guys / circuit city / fry's ... etc

you could try some of the US AV frum and post there too ... I use the avsforum.com

3. AndyMorrison

AndyMorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are very few (if any) places here in Texas that stock multistandard TVs. Normal US TVs are NTSC only (as opposed to UK gear that is generally PAL/NTSC). Of course there are exceptions such as plasma monitors etc. Some DVD players (such as the Toshiba SD5700 I have) claim to perform a conversion from PAL to NTSC . I haven't tried this since I don't have any PAL region 0 discs and the player isn't hacked. Take a look at page 10 of the manual for more info -

http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/ConsumerProductSupport/Manuals/DVD/sd5700.pdf

If your discs are recorded then I would assume that they have no region coding and would be playable in this manner on an NTSC TV.

FYI, the best prices for electronics here are usually found online and if you order from a merchant outside your home state you normally don't pay sales tax. This is often more than enough to make up for any shipping charges you may incur.