1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starwars episodes 4,5 and 6......

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bowenjones, Sep 17, 2003.

1. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
  2. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The "original" originals no longer exist sadly, but having any version of the trilogy is better than having none at all.

What's the betting Lucasfilm will then release an "Special" Star Wars 10 disc boxset in time for Dec 2005? then the "Ultimate Version" in 2006?
    By that stage he'll be revamping the films for a High Definition set on blu-ray DVD and maybe even writing Episodes 7, 8 and 9 to start production in 2009 :D

Owen

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    God no....

He's ruined the star wars universe enough.
    Just leave it at 6 films.

At least with episodes 7, 8 & 9 he can't bring back ewan mcgregor to murder obi-wan's role :)

4. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We can be thankful for that small mercy!
    Now if they could find a way to kill off Jar Jar in Ep3...

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Mr Lucas himself we're not going to get any Post Episode III (so to speak) DVD releases until after Episode III is released on DVD - which isn't likely to be until 2005/2006.

6. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Reports seem to suggest that Lucasfilm are at least considering releasing the OT on DVD late next year & that some work is already under way for that release date. Lucasfilm is apparently pleased with the format of Indiana Jones DVD set that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic SW films.

This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all 3 films, as there isn;t much behind the scenes stuff around for the OT.

They will possibly release a bare bones version in next year & then a full-on special version after Episode3 is out.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    This seems hard to believe. I remember watching at least a one hour 'making of', for each of the first two films - the 'empire' one being presented by Mark Hamill. There must have been an enormous amount of other stuff done as well - interviews, guess-spots etc. I hope they also include the orginal trailers - i remember the 'empire' one vividly.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I hate the last two ( first two) star wars films and all that "episode" nonsense and Lucas saying he wrote the entire plot yeasr ago ...absolute piffle.

I'd rather watch The Ewok Adventure!

The He-man film has more entertainment value.

Just been playing Knights of the Old republic on Xbox and it feels more authentically star wars than teh later films !

9. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Kinghts of the old republic is definetly excellent, only had it one day and have already spent 6 hours on it. In fact having played a number of Star Wars games and read quite a few books they all seem to be more like star wars then the new episodeds.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    There were some good follow-up stories by Timothy Zahn if they filmed them I would be most pleased, far better stories than Episodes 1 and 2.

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Funny, I hated the Zahn books, thought they were truly dreadful! (I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right, just that I saw it differently) I guess that is part of the problem Lucas had - people had totally different ideas about what Episodes 1,2 & 3 should be like... Still TPM & AOTC were complete pants! :suicide: :boring:

12. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    IMHO a good star-wars film they could do would be a spin-off set thousands of years in the past, a proper 3 1/2 or 4 hour "epic" about the sith lords etc... could work???

i think so anyway :)

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I could see them doing a starwars TV series these days ( not some cartoon thing either)

14. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possible small spoiler about Knights of the Old rebublic game.

KOTOR is set 4 thousand years in the past and is about the sith war where there are loads of jedi and loads of sith. If you really want Star Wars stuff then there is loads to be found in the Expanded Universe i.e. books, comics, games.

15. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It was Star Wars that got me into movies in the first place but now (and I never thought I'd say this), I'm just completely and utterly bored by it.

Thanks George.

D.

16. pobrien31

pobrien31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you have to give it to them though don't you!!!!

The cash cow that is Indiana Jones and of course the Star Wars Saga........ which unfortunatley it has become!!!!

Whilst everyone else was releasing DVD box sets, what do we get, Indiana Jones on Video.

And before that there was EP1, if you recall, that was originally released on Video, and then on DVD.

EP2 was then released, then a 2 box set of EP1 & EP2.

Now we are all getting set for the Indy trilogy on DVD, then of course EP3.

Does there seem no end to this money train......... and were all along for the ride.

EP3 will then be released, followed by the, of course!!!, trilogy box set.

Then of course there will be the original trilogy, which will no doubt be released one disc at a time, followed by a doulbe and then triple box set!!!!!

Bear with me here a mo!!! - but you can see where I'm going with this can't you.

The money will still be rolling in long after the Star Wars film franchise has finished.

Lucas will never do 7,8 & 9, as he will be too old by then. After all it has taken 10 years out of his life to do this trilogy.

Not that we want another trilogy any road.

He takes way too much time - look at Lord of the Rings, 1 film a year and filmed back to back. Plus a string of oscars and other awards!!!!

Mind you saying that, New Line are at it too, with the DVD release of each film closely followed by the extended DVD's.

And I haven't even gone down the Superbit and DTS audio release of some of the films that we already own on DVD.

Every man and his dog with theirs hands in yer pocket!!!!

Rant over.

L8R Peeps..................... The POBster!!!!

17. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    pobrien31

You make a good point, but the one thing you have to remember is that no one is forcing you to buy anything. If you're weak and you buy every version then that is your problem.

I myself can be weak. With Lord Of The Rings I know full well that 3 months after the 2 disc set is released a 4 disc set will be released. New Line have been fair as they advertised it well that there was 2 versions being released. But I can't wait, and I want both versions anyway.

But apart from that I'm not one to be suckered in to buy the newest release of a film I already own. I can't wait for the Star Wars Trilogy, or Indy Trilogy, but when I buy these that will be it as they should be the definitive versions on DVD.

:smashin:

18. housey

housey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucas has always stated that the originals wont be released until
    the new trilogy has been wrapped up.
    Apparently there are new scenes that will be inserted to make the whole thing flow and to make the story complete.
    Personally id love to see a revamped Vader - Kenobi fight and Alderaan scenes inserted.
    But as all things we can only wait and see. but for me the whole thing has lost its edge because of Epsiode one , AOTC was far better , but now when i see Darth Vader on screen i see an annoying little American kid called 'Anni' !!!!!!! the most baddest guy in the galaxy.......called Anni !!!!!

And most of the Expanded Universe stuff was total pants, the New Jedi Order is a good read.

19. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to see and episode 7,8 and 9. Not done by George tho, unless he redeems himself with something. After reading many books and playing games i'm confident the some excellent Star Wars follow ups could be made. The only problem with that is I really like the Extended Universe and I don't think the movies would fit in.

As for adding more scenes to the orignal trilgy......hmmmm.......

20. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been burned enough by Mr. Lucas, so I won't be spending another penny on Star Wars Inc. The only way I'd be willing to watch ep. 7, 8, 9, would be if Lucas had absolutely nothing to do with them, and they were done by fans of the original trilogy.

The fact that we'll never see the original trilogy on DVD in their original format is the biggest insult to the fans I could think of.

21. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149

22. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I saw two speccy ****s resort to fisticuffs over which was better, Lapti Nek or Jedi Rocks.

Hi....larious, as Mr Burns would say.

23. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,494
    now i'm a star wars nut,i watched the definative collection boxset the other day,classic stuff,memories of the good ol days:(

when they released the special editions i loved some of the stuff they did,like the x wings panning around the screen more and falcon engine,just little touches,but i hate and i mean hate the jabba scene:nono: but worse than even that is what lucas did to han vs greedo......................now that is the biggest pile of **** ever,i cant even watch it,i deny that the greedo firing first ever happened,take a look at it:eek: .......sorry about that rant over.:smashin:

24. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I like Star Wars as much as the next person, but I have a cut off point.

If you want insanity (and a good laugh) check out
    Star Destroyer

Heres a quote to cherish

25. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Well, here's an update on the rumour again from
    the digitalbits......We have more evidence for you that the Star Wars Trilogy is coming to DVD in 2004. First of all, IGN Games has posted a story about the Rogue Squadron trilogy of games (previously exclusive to Nintendo) coming to the Xbox platform in 2004. Word is this is being timed to coincide with the release of the original films to DVD. Also, the Yakface.com website (which is dedicated to Star Wars memorabilia collecting) has learned that Lucasfilm is inviting its many corporate partners to an event at the Presidio (in San Francisco) on November 5th. The invitations read: "Lord Vader is planning a major assault. He summons you to share his top secret battle plans." With Episode III still nearly two years away from theaters, it's entirely possible that this meeting is intended to announce the DVD release plan to retailers for next year.
    So, roll on bonfire night.

26. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Well, it was stated at that event that the original trilogy
    will be released on dvd in Sept. of next year.
    Details of what versions will be on the discs weren't announced.

27. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have a link to this story?

28. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I’ve heard that Lucas’s next Prequel and Sequel projects will be:

THX 1137

THX 1139

29. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Chortle, tee hee and guffaw

30. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Even though it has been said that the original OT print no longer exists, this should not be taken at face value. I think it means that the originals dont exist because of extreme degredation. This was one of the points of the special editions, to copy the old prints & improve they're quality because they had rotted away so much. This print was then used to make the special edition. So this would mean there are copies of the original print still around, but that they just will not be released.

Instead, the Archive Edition will be released which is a fully Lucas re-jigged version. The word is that ol' George will be inserting himself into the credits as a director. So Empire will now be directed by Irvin Kershner & George Lucas.