1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starwars Battlefield

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by UncagedTyphoon, Aug 2, 2004.

1. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Due for release mid September
    here's a Reveiw link :rotfl:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=397942

From what I have read it sounds ok but be prepared to be let down
    as I have been with all starwars online FPS
    apart from me being cynical I do hope this one is good or will i be to involved with the new Rainbow to even bother with this :confused:

:thumbsup: :lesson:

2. Irons

Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really hope this turns out well, the idea behind it is great.

But as you say Star Wars games have a habit of being dissapointing :(

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,456
    Sorry to be pedantic; but isnt it Star Wars: Battlefront? I'm not sure if the "Battlefield" series of PC games (1942/Vietnam/Modern Combat) is using a different engine, or if this is basicallt that with a Star Wars skin slapped on top, but it might confuse people if they are doing searches etc.

Nice article though - i look forwards to seeing just how good this game is!

4. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looking forward to this as well. If if they cock it up slightly i'd forgive them as it's Star Wars ;)
    There is a mod out for the Battlefield series called Galactic Conquest and it's quite enjoyable but basic Star Wars graphics and sound although you can fly the Falcon!

Any FPS that can drag me away from DOD and i'll be grateful as that game is starting to dominate my private life so roll on September.

Panic

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Star Wars games disappointing???

Obviously you have never played 'Star Wars Rogue Leader' games, or KOTOR!

Not to mention the absolutely amazing 'Tie Fighter' games which must be 10 years old now!

6. Irons

Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of fact I've completed KOTOR which is a great game, Rogue leader games are impressive technically but I found them shallow and repetitive as did a lot of people, haven't played the Tie fighter series so I can't comment.

That is half a dozen out of how many?, what about the dire Phantom Menace or that Jedi Power battles or whatever you call it or some of those stupid racing games?

I'm a Starwars fan as well but the fact is a lot of the games fall short of their potential, the Clone Wars anyone?

I'd love to see this work but I won't be holding my breath.

7. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,456
    This could easily be the next big online game. I'm certainly getting it, and i hope it will provide a different, but better, sort of gameplay to SOCOM. Another online PS2 game to watch out for in Rachet & Clank 3, apparenty its quite good indeed! The official Star Wars: Battlefront site is up with way more piccies and movies:

Gamespot preview: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/starwarsbattlefront/preview_6090000.html

Official site (flash and image heavy): http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Anyone else played the PS2 demo for this yet. My brother got i think Official Playstion mag yesterday with a demo for this on it. It's unfortunatly only a 5 min timed demo but you can play 2 player split screen and choose either Imperial or Rebel and a choice of character type.
    Based on Endor Moon level it's great fun jumping on speeder bikes or AtAt's. Imperial sniper....head shot an Ewok ! ...brill.
    We must of spent an hour playing , resetting and playing again.
    I'm more a fan of PC online gameing but this was fun.

Panic

9. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,456
    Yeah i've been playing a bit, ok a lot, of the Star Wars: Battlefront demo. Sure PC gamers might be unimpressed, they have lots to choose from, but on the PS2 with only SOCOM dominating its going to take something special to lure gamers away, and this could be it. Depends heavily on the lobby/chat/online smoothness, but from a single-player POV its very encouraging for online.

The game is basically a cross between Unreal/Quake and SOCOM. It's Rebel's vs Imperials, the setting is Endor, just like Return of the Jedi, also with NPC Ewoks. There are 5 base control points (CP) which must be controlled to win. You can only spawn at these CPs, and have a limited number of respawns; i cant recall off my head 150 or 200 or something, once these repawns are used up, or all you bases are occupied you lose. There are 5 "classes" per side, most are duplicates, but the Imperials get 3 of the 5 bases at the start, and also more supplemental hardware - AT-ATs, speederbikes and defences (gun turrets, walls, etc). I suppose this represents the Imps having more resources, while the Rebels have equal manpower, from concentrating their forces as attackers, plus more emphasis on individual skill; their troopers getting some bonuses the Imperials dont have. The demo is only about 5 mins long before it times you out :( There's a map which you can toggle to various zoom levels, and it shows all units and direction of facing. You can play in 1st or 3rd person.

Graphics are remarkably smooth and detailed, frame-rate solid. The Endor forest has reasonible leafy effects, bushes seem like bushes, which the rebels can hide in fairly effectivly with their camo clothing, and objects seem solid. One odd thing though is if you do hide in a bush it goes transparent (i assume only w.r.t. to you) - simulating the fact you find gaps to see out. Cant tell much from the light effects on offer, laserblasts dont illuminate on their paths, the sun dosent seem to throw shadows, i assume the Xbox and PC will have better enhancements, but nothing is actually glaringly wrong with the PS2's offering, just skimping on some effects.

Sound feels a bit "light", like LucasArts havent discovered how to fully utilise LFE's or something. There's an option to select Dolby Pro-Logic 2 (my system does do DPL2, DD 5.1, DTS), yet the sounds often lack "beef". While the AT-ATs give a reasonably satisfying rumble, things like the thermal detonators seem more "flash" than "bang". The effects themselves are all canon w.r.t. the movies, blaster-rifles sound perfect, the AT-ATs excellent for both moving and shooting, your buddies shout out when they spot an enemy or call for help.

AI seems "ok". Battle-lines are a bit ragged, and a side dosent always respond very quickly to a base being captured, but they engage the enemy ok, and you will be cut down if you try to banzi charge a clump of enemy. Due to the nature of the victory conditions it seems that a few tactics should therefore be possible with human teams, but the AI obviously dosent coordinate with you so well. Ditto its also hard to really guess how effective weapons and the combat system will work.

Speaking of weapons... they seem reasonabily well balanced, as each class has a fixed weaponload i guess it was made easier, and no one weapon stands out as being able to do all. You probably will need combined arms in your team, thought some may be more favour in general or on certain maps. Everyone gets a laser pistol, its non-autofire, but can be shot off quickly if you pump the fire button. It has a limited energy cell which recharges over time. This translates into enough shots to kill one or two enemies, depending on accuracy, but you'd be pushing to get three. All the other weapons have ammo, grenades come in loads of 3, and there are ammo droids/dispensers to get more - assuming you dont die and respawn anew.

All the rebels, except for the pilot whos orange/red, are wearing cammo. this makes them a little harder to see, and is an advantage, if slight.

Troopers are the same for both Imps and Rebels ("skins" different of course). They are armed with a laser-rifle which is an autofire weapon of decent velocity and accuracey, pistol, concussion grenades and thermal detonators. The Stormtrooper seems like a very solid choice for the Imps, and could well be the typically chosen class.

Pilots are a more weakly armed unit; although they have an autofire rifle thing, its got a slower velocity and less ammo - both per clip and total. Also armed with pistol, TDs and a "magic spanner" which you can use to fix vehicles or activate certain floor panels which turn into gun-emplacements, walls, healing stations etc. Useful i guess, but not the most dangerous or fun class, though if you are piloting a vehicle it dosent really matter.

Heavy troopers (called Advance Vanguard for Rebels, Shock trooper for imps) are also identically armed; slow loading rocket launcher, pistol, TDs and mines. No way are these Quake-like in their viciousness, but since they have instant kill damaging hits and splash damage they might still be the "leek hacksaw" kiddies choice. Its also the only way to kill AT-ATs, and im guessing other vehicles in the full game as well.

Snipers are unsurprisingly armed with a sniper rifle. Its one-hit kills to the head, two to the torso (not sure about limbs), but they reload slowly, and there is also only 6 sots to a magazine. All done to stop Quake-like railgun power syndrone. Certainly with the powerful zoom you can pick stationary enemy off easily, but up close could be well different. The Rebel scout has an important difference, swap your secondary weapon to Disguise - hold down the secondary fire - and you turn into a stormtrooper. You cant shoot while disguised, but could be quite confusing. I had great fun running about disguised with my pistol ready and turning it off just long enough to blast a stormtrooper in the head before disguising again to confuse his mates. Could be a favourite choice for Rebels wantng to annoy.

Lastly there s a specific class for each side - Imps get the Dark Trooper, Rebels a Wookie Smuggler. The Dark Trooper is like a Stormtrooper but equiped with a short ranged jetpack, you basically can double-jump for a high-long glide/jump. He's got a shotgun instead of the blaster-rifle. The main bonus is pure speed, and group of dark troopers could avoid the main defences and go for weakly/non defended CPs, or just to get about as a mobile reserve or jump from vehicle to vehicles easier. The Wookie has a bowcaster, which is a non-autofire blaster-rifle, but you can also charge it by holding down fire for up to 5 shots, also like a shotgun type attack. Additionally instead of grenades it has a health/ammo dispensor, which drops a small capsule anyone can use. This makes the wookie ultra-hard if you can kep topping up your own health, and all adds up to potentially being more valuable than the rebels standard trooper.

Overall i think Stormtrooper and Dark Troopers will be most popular for Imps, Wookies and Scouts for Rebels. Though a balanced class load out will be essential for any team - i could well be wrong of course...

Anyway thats about it for my rambling.

10. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    I wanna get this on the ps2 and was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me?

I hate some controling methods so are you able to change the thumbstick controls so that:

Left stick is: move forward/backward turn left/right

Right stick is: look down/up strafe left/right

On the demo you cant but i wondered if you could in the full game

I hope you can help

thanks

tris