1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Startup Problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by quadmad, Apr 5, 2003.

1. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System consists:

Ellite K7A motherboard (6 month old)
    AMD 1.4 T/Bird (1 year old)
    256 DDR (1 year old)
    Radeon 7500 (new)
    Generic soundcard (1 year old)
    Generic 56K modem card (1 year old)
    Seagate baracuda 60G HD (1 year old)
    Generic floppy drive
    Liton DVD Drive (6 month old)
    Zalman copper CPU Flower

Running XP Pro & full works Suite

My problem stated approx 1 month ago when turing on the PC. I was unable to get any picture on the screen despite the HD appearing to kick into action. Numerous attempts and light tapping on case would eventually obtain a result.

First thought were faulty MX2 Graphics Card, so bought new Radeon which I always intended for scaling anyway. Insalled card & drivers also replaced ribon HD cable for shielded round one in hope to aleviate any problem.

I still have the same startup problem. I have checked all the connections (internal & external) the case side is off & the flower fan is running at max, so everying is nice and cool. I have re-insalled XP on my C drive and drivers for all cards, re checked cables but no luck. Once I get a picture (numerous resets) it runs fine, the other problem is that the system of running @ 1050 if I update CMOS to 1400 it just wont run at all.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone got any ideas ?

2. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try different memory, I have experienced a number of problems with systems failing even to get as far as the bios due to faulty memory.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    If you've added a few more bits to your mobo could be your power supply is struggling. What wattage is it?
    Also have you reseated your mobo atall you might have a short.
    What temp is your cpu running at? is it overly hot?
    as thrash said - memory could be an issue. Memory is v cheap at the mo so i'd invest in another stick- it'll help with your diagnosis and free up your system generally.( xp uses a lot more memory and the min spec you should have is 256mb so 512 total wolud imo increse you performance gratly).

pop over to overclockers.com they have a very usefull forum there plenty of tech heads to ask.