Startup disk can't see USB hard drive with snow leopard ??

RecordablDVDfan

I've got Leopard on the main hdd in the mac mini but now my USB connected drive with snow leopard will not show up in startup disk so I can not boot from it though the drive shows up on desktop and I can access files etc

Any ideas how to sort this ? I've tried various 'disk utility' progs to rebuild / repair the drive but still not go. Also holding down the options key on boot up the drive now shows but is now labeled EFI drive and if I boot from it all I get forever is the spinng circle under the apple logo...

??? :lease:

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
Ah, I should have read your post more carefully. Is it a bus-powered disk or does it have a power supply? Does the data on the disk appear OK apart from not booting? Just trying to figure out whether it's a hardware or software problem stopping booting. You really need another USB disk to confirm where the problem lies. If the disk is buggered then you will need to restore from Time Machine

RecordablDVDfan

Ah, I should have read your post more carefully. Is it a bus-powered disk or does it have a power supply? Does the data on the disk appear OK apart from not booting? Just trying to figure out whether it's a hardware or software problem stopping booting. You really need another USB disk to confirm where the problem lies. If the disk is buggered then you will need to restore from Time Machine

It's a USB powered drive in an 'icy box' caddy. Yes all data is fine. Another USB drive boots up fine, guess I'll have to do a re-install over the top with the snow leopard disc. Maybe a hardware problem as the DVD drive will now not write disks also

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom