1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Windows Without a Mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by MikeTV, Aug 29, 2004.

1. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    I am trying to install my wireless mouse, and now my XP system is messed up, and my PS2 mouse isn't being recognized at startup time. This means that I cannot log in to Windows! Aaargh!

Anybody have any ideas, before head off to the shops to buy a USB mouse? Or a linux system. My keyboard is fine, so all I need to be able to do is log in, and then I can correct the problems (probably).

Cheers,

Mike.

2. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try pressing F8 at boot and choose SafeMode startup. It may recognise the mouse and, if it does, you can then get into Windows and should remove all mouse drivers that are currently installed and then reboot normally and let it install whatever drivers it wants again.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you have the XP "Welcome" screen, simply use the Up & Down cursor keys to get to the specific logon name you want, type in the password and hit Enter.

If using the WIn2000 style login then simply use TAB to move between the Name & Password boxes (Shift & TAB goes up) then enter when You've put in the login & P/W

You don't need a mouse for XP, though it's a little awkard without.

CTRL+ESC will get up the start menu in you don't have a "Windows" key on your keyboard. You can navigate to the option you want with the cursors and hit enter to select that program.

ALt+Tab together will toggle the focus between the already opened programs and TAB or Cursors (depending on program) will toggle between the various option withing the highlighted application.

Markl.

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Cheers guys.

I only have one user on this machine, and so the up and down arrows are not doing anything. The <enter> key is not selecting the user. I have pretty much tried every key on the keyboard, but nothing will allow me to select the user. It seems to really want me to "click" the user using the mouse.

I'll try safe mode now, and maybe rollback to a restore point. Yuck.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Safe mode was the same.

Rolling back worked. Yay!

Thanks for your help.

6. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that you need it now, but in future, if you ever want to login without a mouse in XP just press the CTRL+ALT+Delete keys when you are on the 'click the user' XP screen.

This will take you to the Win2000 style login where you can then you the up/down keys to select the user.

7. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Good tip, thanks.

I've splashed out on an optical USB mouse anyway, which is also useful for my laptop. And my wireless devices are up, so all is well.