Starting to get Cold

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
One degree here in London this morning with frost. I said 'winter has arrived' to a guy at the coffee machine on the way in . He stared at me blankly. Then I remembered he was Canadian.

dmpzsn

I was up at 3.50 this morning and the heating hadn't come on, it's now been on for over 2 hours and I'm still cold, I've just put on an extra jumper and put a rug over my legs. The only problem is, I know my Wife will come down later saying how hot it is.:blush:

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Thick frost on the cars this morning I note on my walk with Millie. How is it that cats do not feel the cold tarmac on their feet I wonder?

dmpzsn

I haven't gone out but looked out the window and can see the frost on the cars, think I'll stay in till the sun comes out.

dmpzsn

I know, not looking forward to next tuesday, I'm starting work at 5. 45 so know I'm going to have to scrape the car before I start. It's frightening to think in the late 60's I use to take part in the Dragon Rally, a motor cycle rally up Snowdon in mid winter, no thermal protection or heated gloves in those days and it was cold. Still good times then.:laugh:

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
To be honest I would rather not leave the warmth of my flat as I feel the cold more than most having hypothyroidism but Millie will sit at the bedroom door and stare in the way only a cat can do until I have got up out of my bed to take her for her walk.

If it gets any colder I might need to think about getting dressed first. :rotfl:

dmpzsn

Or put something on under the kilt you're wearing:laugh:

Our pets do take precedence over weather conditions though regardless of how we humans feel. I lost my dog 3 years ago and while I miss her like mad it's a relief in some ways not having to walk her in the freezing cold and pouring rain.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Major flooding here in Yorkshire over the last few days, many rivers are close to their highest all-time levels. People were being rescued by boat from a shopping centre the other night, and the river near me last night was lapping over the top of the floodgates with a warning that property flooding was happening. It can’t ever affect me as I’m on a hill well out of the way, but you have to question the wisdom of first building, and then buying houses on flood plains.

I went to work yesterday and trains were only running on three routes, all the others were extensively flooded. I drove to Leeds and it was like a scene from an apocalypse movie, massive lakes everywhere where there should have been fields and rivers or streams.

The weather seems to be getting more and more extreme.

deantown

Distinguished Member
Had to pour hot water on my car doors this morning as they were stuck shut with frost/ice. Wasted my time as Golf course was closed due to frost and fog.
I wonder if Global warming has anything to do with it, or is it because it's Winter now.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Had to pour hot water on my car doors this morning as they were stuck shut with frost/ice. Wasted my time as Golf course was closed due to frost and fog.
I wonder if Global warming has anything to do with it, or is it because it's Winter now.
It may have something to do with Global Warming but it's November and as far as my memory serves it has always got cold in November, It's not Winter not even the daft Mereological one that's 3 weeks early, it's normal, all the extreme rain isn't but the cold is.

IronGiant

"The UK's lowest ever recorded temperature in November is -23.3C, recorded in Braemar, in the Scottish Highlands, on 14 November 1919. "

And I remember in November 1985 it got to -10 or -15C in Oxford. We had to warm up the fuel pipes of our diesel BX before it would start.

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
At least there aren't lorries catching fire when the diesel was too cold.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
No frost this morning up here in Edinburgh, cat has already started the staring palaver but I need milk so she will need to wait for her walk until the corner shop is open.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Had one frosty morning so far but the sun is on the car when I leave for work so it wasn't bad.
I use a window squeegee, the rubber blade on them is pretty good without risking scratching the windscreen.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
The weather forecaster said it was minus 2 in Edinburgh but when I showed my thermometer to a women whilst walking Millie this morning she agreed that it was much colder than that. :blush:

Last edited:

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
Some woman was interviewed on the radio this morning. Her caravan had flooded.

She said, whilst sobbing:

"I've lost all my socks and a picture of my nan and grandad."

Hardly a humanitarian crisis that needs a Christmas single and a 'Sock Aid' concert at Wembley.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
"The UK's lowest ever recorded temperature in November is -23.3C, recorded in Braemar, in the Scottish Highlands, on 14 November 1919. "
Let me tell you that lower temperatures than that were reached more recently...... in my ex-girlfriend's heart.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
The weather forecaster said it was minus 2 in Edinburgh but when I showed my thermometer to a women whilst walking Millie this morning she agreed that it was much colder than that. :blush:
Does thermometer mean something else in Scotland? I guess what i'm asking is, are you on a register now? :eek:

gibbsy

Some pretty significant snow here in West Wales. A quick snap from the car a few minutes ago.
Had a bit of a shock at 8 o'clock this evening. Promised to pick my grandson up from work in Merthyr Tydfil and when I got to Cyfartha the car park was covered. It was slow careful going on the A470. I usually go up the A470 to pick him then back along the infamous Heads of the Valleys road to take him home. Not tonight, road closed by an accident so had go the long way round.