1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting out

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by timculverhouse, Mar 31, 2003.

1. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been considering buying a camcorder and am planning to do so in the next month. Before I go ahead I would appreciate any help on the following issues.

My situation:
    1) I have a max of £1,000 to spend.
    2) I want a camcorder to capture family events, holidays etc - I'm not a budding Stephen Spielberg.
    3) I would like a camcorder which will also be able to take good quality stills pics as well. I may not print out that many stills pics but store them on the PC for later access. I plan to have a CD-RW fitted so I would be able to put a Powerpoint slideshow together with the pics onto CD.
    4) I want to be able to download any footage from the cam to my PC but I only have a USB port (no firewire port - and no knowledge of how to install/set one up)
    5) I want to be able to edit the footage on the PC but don't have any software to do this (do most camcorders come with something to do this?? - if not I would be able to spend around £100)
    6) I want to be able to get the footage off the PC and back onto the camcorder tape to watch on the TV with my family and possibly then put it onto VHS.
    7) I want to be able to add sound/music etc. on the PC onto the tape.

I have been very impressed with the Sony DCR PC101 and would like to have a good/reknown make/model.

I would much appreciate any advice. If you can only help on one of the points then please leave me your comments. If you can help on all of them then even better. My e-mail is tcandsh01@aol.com if you'd prefer to send advice there instead.

Many thanks
    Tim

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A few helpful tips.....

To get video onto your PC you NEED to install a firewire port. This is the only way to capture full quality DV footage.
    A firewire card and software can be bought from around £30 up.

:lesson: To install the card all you need to do is unplug all the PC's leads, remove the cover and then find a spare PCI slot on the motherboard (look where your sound/graphic/modem etc. are plugged in and it will be next to one of these). Remove the cover next to the port on the case and just push the card into place. Secure with the screw you removed when removing the plate by the port. Put the cover back on your case, plug it all back in and boot the PC. Windows will see the new card and install the required driver etc.
    To install the card you MUST be running Windows 98SE or later!
    Once the card is installed then put the editing software CD into the drive and follow the instructions to install. Once completed you will be ready to capture video onto your PC. EASY :D

To copy your footage back to your camcorder you MUST get a camcorder with DV-in enabled. Check closely before you buy as most do not have DV-in :mad:

Mark.

3. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

I'm just very concerned about taking my PC apart. Is there a website offering advice to Plebs (like me!) which is basic enough and would talk me through the process of installing a firewire port. :confused: ??

What are you thoughts on the DCR PC101 on the whole? have you had any experience or know anyone who has?

Thanks again,

Tim

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Based on what you have said you will use the camcorder for, the DCR PC101 sounds like it will be more than good enough. I only know the specs of the camcorder by checking the Sony web site and have never used one. Take a look at the reviews on www.electrictown.co.uk

If you are really unsure about opening up the PC then any PC shop should be able to install the card for not too much money. But if you have a friend that knows their way around the insides, then get them to supervise you having a go. It really is easy to install card in a PC.

Mark.