Starting out with Sonos... really need some help

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by altyfc, Nov 28, 2010.

1. altyfc

altyfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if someone could help. I've twice called into our local AV place and twice they've failed to get back to me, so I'm wondering whether I can 'go it alone' with the set-up, etc.

But I'm very much a novice at this stage, so would appreciate any guidance.

Our home layout is as follows:

Ground floor: hallway, toilet/bathroom, utility room, spare bedroom, mini-gym (ie. a running machine)

Middle floor: open plan kitchen, living room and dining area (in an L-shape), small kids' playroom, small landing, toilet and home office/study (where the router is)

Top floor: two good sized bedrooms (ours and the kids), each with bathrooms just off them

We each have an iPhone

Our requirements are as follows:

Not too sure at this stage but...

Personally, I would like to be able to listen to radio and/or music of my own in the study and in the gym, otherwise I'm happy to listen to whatever else is on within different parts of the house.

My wife would probably like to have music playing in all zones about the house, so that she can listen continuously, regardless of which room she is in.

Our children are too young to decree any kind of preference just yet, but I guess it could come with time!

We would probably want to be able to have sound in most rooms in the house, and we would probably prefer speakers that are wall-mounted and relatively small. Some of the locations where we would wall-mount them are not necessarily near a power supply and so I was wondering if you could get battery powered wireless speakers, and whether this was considered a neat solution.

I appreciate this is probably all a bit vague at this point in time, but I'd welcome any comments, advice, questions, that will help us further pinpoint what we need.

Thanks a lot. :)

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    What budget are you working with? How are you storing music now - iTunes?

3. altyfc

altyfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm open-minded on budget (within reason) up to a few £k max, I guess.

The music we have so far has mostly been transferred from CDs on to my wife's old iPod. Some time I need to figure out how I get that from there to our iPhones. I'd envisage any future music would be bought via iTunes or listened to via last.fm, Napster, or whatever...

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Have a look at the Cambridge Audio Incognito for ideas on a fully integrated multi-room system.

There's a fair few threads on the forum here about multi-room and different approaches/plans people have come up with.

You are basically looking two approaches. Option one, having a central 'hub' of server/zone players/multi-channel amp in a rack and pulling speaker cabling to each room for in-ceiling/wall-mounted speakers. Option two, going distributed and have some combination of players/amps/active speakers/boom boxes in each room, streaming music over wi-fi from a music server.

As you have iPhones, I guess you want to use them as remote controls with the Sonos app, so you'll need standard wi-fi coverage.

As you mention Sonos, I guess you are keen on their kit so something like this -

Home office - Wi-fi access point (if not in router), VortexBox music server, Sonos ZoneBridge all wired to router (extend with an 8-way switch if needed). Sonos S5 boom box as player.

Open plan area - Sonos Z120 with WD100 dock, CR200 controller, hooked up to speakers of your choice

Main bedroom - Sonos Z90 with Audio Engine A5 active speakers

Kids room - Sonos S5 with 2nd hand CR100 controller

Gym - Sonos S5

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Sonos would seem to fit your basic requirement for any easy to use and expandable multi-room music system.

Wireless battery powered Speakers would ultimately become a pain – better to either go with the S5 ‘all-in-one’ (ZonePlayer/Amp/Speaker) or use a ZP120 to drive suitable wall or shelf mounted Speakers.

Installing Spks and associated cables needn’t require major surgery to your house if your keen to keep costs down/installation disruption to a minimum.

Whilst your Music Library is best stored on a Networked drive (which Sonos plus any other connected PC/MAC/iPhone etc. can access) Sonos now have an iPod/iPhone Dock that allows you to play music from any (compatible) iPod/iPhone in any zone on the system.

Joe