1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting out - screen and Z2 questions.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by topperdoggle, Jan 4, 2004.

1. topperdoggle

topperdoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I'm moving into a new place next month and as I have a "blank canvas" to work from, I thought about a projector and screen. My sources will be DVD, Sky Digital, and a PC running MythTV. I've got a few questions which I haven't really seen answered elsewhere:

First thing is screen size. My lounge is about 19' x 12'. I don't want the viewing couch / area to be at the opposite end of the lounge from the screen. I want the screen at one end (call it the top end), and the couch to be 2/3 to 3/4 down the room (about 12 to 14 feet away).

I've read that the _minimum_ viewing distance should be 2 x screen width. So I reckon the optimum screen width would be about 6'? Is that formula accurate?

I've also looked at the calculator on www.projectorcentral.com, and it says that for that screen size, and my chosen projector (see below), throw is from 10'7 to 8.2' depending on my zoom setting. Does it make any difference to PQ whatever end of that range I am within?

I'm interested in an electric Draper Baronet screen. This is "matt white vinyl with 1.1 gain". Would a light source (e.g. window) behind the screen be "visible"? I want to mount it at the end of the room where the balcony doors are. What do people think of this screen brand? Obviously my budget is not the highest ever, but if it's crap then let me know. ;)

Projector-wise, my hot favourite from reading around is the Sanyo Z2. I'm happy that it's LCD, as I'd be worried about rainbows, although I understand that I should view DLP first to see if rainbows are an issue.

I notice it has "only" 800 lumens. I want to be able to view without having a totally dark room. Obviously for hardcore DVD viewing, it's not a problem, but it is if I'm having a few people round to watch the football. Dimming the lights is ok to a point, but not "romantic dinner" dim! :) I don't anticipate much daytime viewing.

I've seen the foot-lamberts = (lumens/screen size in square feet) * gain formula. I know that you need around 16 ft lamberts in a dark room, but not sure what you need in a lighter room. Assuming I go with the above projector / screen, I get:
    (800/20.5) * 1.1 = about 43 ftl. Good enough for a medium-lit room?

Lastly - kind of unrelated - I have a Toshiba SD200 multi region DVD player, which I've had for about two years. I really like it, but is the quality better than a DVD-ROM in a PC connected via DVI?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Antony

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Generally 1.5 - 2 times screen width is good viewing distance. I am 1.8x away from a 6ft screen and screendoor is undetectable on a Z2.

There has been whole threads dedicated to the subject of zoom, but the general opinion seems to be that any difference is insignificant.

As for the window being visable through the screen, thats not a prob because you will need to black it out if you're gonna go down the LCD route. I dont think I'll get too many aguments by saying you need pretty much total light control when using LCD projectors. I have a small side window, about 18" square, that I thought wouldnt be a problem. Wrong. That now has a blackout blind fitted to it too.

I dont know much about pc's feeding pj's but I think it depends greatly on your graphics card, but i could be wrong.

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have Z2 Im viewing 8 foot wide (not sure of diagonal) from 12 foot (in fact im usually 10 foot from screen as i prefer to sit on floor) without probems (no screen door).

I usually have it in light controled room but as long as its notto bright outside I can get a perfectly acceptable picture for general sports viewing with the curtains open (window midway side wall-no direct sunshine) but only if i have lamp on full. I use a drh screen which i believe has a gain of 1.0.

All IMHO of course!