1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starting on an HCPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Vixpy, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear with me on this one because alghough I work in IT i am new to this HCPC stuff, my questions are

1) I would like to build a system that purely improves the image for my projector. I would like to keep the sound out of the processing cycle. Hence i would like the sound going straight form the sony dvd to my amp (optical as it is at the moment) and pass the s-video into the pc to process and then out to the projector (crt)

2) Will this work?

3) what kind of improvements will I see?

4) what 's a good sys spec? (i can scrounge the parts so its a case of what comes along i'm afraid)

Thanx in advance

2. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Are you saying you want to input a video signal from a stand alone DVD player into the PC with a TV card, scale it up then output it to the projector ? I'm sure you'll get a much better image if you use the PC DVD player with WinDVD, sound can be output by a SP/DIF optical output of a SBLive.

As to whether you can do what you are asking, you probably can but I doubt it will look nearly as good.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    Go with garys suggestion

i have just built an HTPC using the sbLive player souncard and Win DVD 2000 it is superb.
    the guillemot fortissimo card offers an optical out for just £35 notes.
    Its far better connected to your projectors VGA imput if it has one than S video

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    moderate spec PC i.e. Athlon 800, 128MB ram
    dvd drive (any one really) Geforce 2 MX,
    5.1 digital soundcard and small harddrive
    WIN DVD 2000

5. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely from an audio point of view , A digital stream being passed through Pc cards can't compare with a good stand alone player?

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Previous setup
    Sony 725 DVD plyer to Denon AVC-A1SE via coax

Current setup
    HTPC (SB Live!) to Denon AVC-A1SE via coax

I can't tell the difference. Give it a go.

7. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I think there is quite a lot of discussion over on avsforum.com regarding HCPC sound, main consensus I gathered was that bits are bits, the PC is only passing the digital data through, not processing it in any way so there is no reason that a digital signal should be poorer from the PC.

I have a £600 Nakamichi DVD player and can't tell the difference between it and the PC, picture on the other hand is in a different league.

If you want other types of sound like CD etc from your PC then the card to go for is something like http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Audio/AP2496.htm
    Again from memory on AVS there are claims that you then have CD output equivalent to $2,000 or more CD players but for DD5.1 there is no difference between this card and the cheap ones mentioned above.