• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Starting my own business

dazzler9000

Established Member
I’m after a bit of advice. I like the idea of starting a (very) small business. I’d ideally run it over the web. I see that there are lots of ecommerce website builders about. Anybody know of a good one? Is there anything that I need to aware of and avoid?

I’d also be looking to import goods from China etc. Does anybody have any advice on how to form relationships with suppliers, and again, anything to be wary of??

I really am right at the beginning stages and just collecting information really.

I’d appreciate any advice from anybody who’s run/running their own business.

Thanks.

steviedog

Banned
I’m after a bit of advice. I like the idea of starting a (very) small business. I’d ideally run it over the web. I see that there are lots of ecommerce website builders about. Anybody know of a good one? Is there anything that I need to aware of and avoid?

I’d also be looking to import goods from China etc. Does anybody have any advice on how to form relationships with suppliers, and again, anything to be wary of??

I really am right at the beginning stages and just collecting information really.

I’d appreciate any advice from anybody who’s run/running their own business.

Thanks.

I run 2 online businesses from home. Helps me get through uni without having to get a part-time job.

If you want an all-in-one solution for your website, EKM Powershop offer a good service, I use them for both of my websites. It's £20 per month +VAT, no contract so you can cancel at any time. They have a dedicated contact number, support email and forum for help with your websites which I've found very useful. There are cheaper, or even free options available but they come with very limited support.

With regards to China, I would say unless a supplier comes highly recommended, do not deal with anyone online. The best way to find a good supplier is to go over to China and have a look around.

Hope this helps.

GBDG1

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to write a business plan more than anything. There are templates available from Business Link but you really need to consider questions like:

What will you sell
What is the competition
How will you market it
Who will buy
What are your margins
Is there a gap in the market
How will you fulfil orders

Last edited:

steviedog

Banned
Sounds like you need to write a business plan more than anything. There are templates available from Business Link but you really need to consider questions like:

What will you sell
What is the competition
How will you market it
Who will buy
What are your margins
Is there a gap in the market
How will you fulfil it

I assumed he had already done all of that. But yeh, that's a first before you start looking at flashy websites and logos.

dazzler9000

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll check out ekmpowershop.

I haven't written a business plan yet, but obviously I will. I'm just throwing a few ideas around at the moment.

I have to admit, I'd find trips to China rather daunting.....

TheForge

Established Member
I have imported a few small electrical parts from Shenzhen over the years. You can get some really cheap and unusual stuff from china. :D

I think you should start off with being a reseller of goods already imported from China rather than import the goods yourself.

The Forge

Ned Senior

Prominent Member
Hello Dazzler... someone posted to buy offav a source which has already imported the items... I had a brainwave recently whilst looking around ebay which was to buy items from these hong kong dealers then once they have arrived resell at a profit using the "ships from UK" heading as a selling point
might work might not... worth a go and aswell it would mean you only need to buy one each of a variety of items and test the market with them rather than bulk buy a single line and be stuck with them!!!
HTH
Ned

dazzler9000

Established Member

dazzler9000

Established Member
You should never have to pay for a wholesale list.

Try searching your local phone book for wholesalers.

Thanks, I thought this was the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom