Starting my home automation journey

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by technoholic, Jul 29, 2012.

1. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    Hi all

I'm planning on starting to play around with home automation, I live in a small flat so I will only be starting with AV in the lounge, which will be Tv, AVR, sky, Xbmc pc.

I plan or starting with irule as it seems quite good, take some time to get it set up but will hopefully look good at the end. I want to test it all on my iPad before submitting to the other half for WAF. eventually, I hope apple release a 7inch IPad as that would make a perfect remote I think.

This weekend I have been busily adding internal ir jacks to all my devices that do not support rs232 or ip control, I hate stick on ir emitters so I have mounted them internally and added a 3.5mm jack into my tv and sky box. I have tested these with my harmony 900 blaster with a cable connection and they've worked great.

I'd like any advice on setting up irule, maybe someone could share their panels if they would be so kind so I could get a leg up.

Thanks for your help

2. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I never heard of iRule until this thread.
    sounds interesting.
    I might have a dabble.

I'll get a copy and contribute soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  3. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    anyone with any advice? Im looking at demopad now, seems like it might be a better solutions?

4. alicemathew32

alicemathew32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demopad is a great choice due to its advantages such as:
    1. You are directly connected on launching the Demopad app,no lag at all.
    2. The software does not live in cloud and is downloaded to your Pc.
    3. Flag system can be used to simulate 2 way feedback or to create complex actions.
    4. Grid system is very easy to use. An align system is integrated to move and align multiple objects.

5. technoholic

technoholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    thanks, apparently proper 2 way feedback is built in now. ive started a test project and ive got a few issues. everytime the ipad locks, you have to restart the app and it doesnt remember what screen you were on, so as im trying to set up activities to replicate the features of my harmony remote, i cant get back to the screen for the "activity" i was using without pressing the "launch activity" button again, which sends power and input change commands. do you know a way round this?

6. Samurai Weasel

Samurai Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Set the demopad options in settings for "remember last page" and "multitasking". This ensures when you unlock ipad after a lock it is back where u left it