starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dpc, Feb 4, 2003.

1. dpc

dpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just made my mind up to buy hs10 as long as demo is as good as a lot of people on this forum who now own say!!. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    My question is as I am starting from scratch my budget is in total £3K to buy pj (hs10) and everything else needed to give myself a decent or even brilliant cinematic and sound experience. i.e. dvd, amp,screen cabling, filters, the works.
    Can anyone help a real novice here :confused:
    Any imput will be greatly appreciated

2. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I am not sure if you are going to be able to do it for £3000 in total, the HS10 and screen will come to about £2500. That leaves only £500 to do Amp, Speakers, DVD and cables.

I would have thought

Receiver £500
    DVD £200
    Speakers £500
    Cables £120

So I would have thought that you were looking at spending about £3500.

IMHO it would be a shame to ruin such a good projector with cheaper Amp DVD and speakers.

Any ideas anyone?

Ben

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You could save on the amp buy picking up a second hand Sony 930 which is simply brilliant.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A grand on the rest of your system ain't much I'm afraid. You may be better off considering the AE100 at £899 and invest the rest on speakers, amp etc...Depends on what your priorities are though - if you are prepared to compromise and upgrade again in 6 months you may find a budget range acceptable in the short term.

Yammy A4 or similar about £150, five Eltax or similar speakers for about £250, cabling about £100 (depends on your room size - £50 maybe) £300 odd quid on a half decent DVD player - still with a bit of room to spare. I'm not a real fan of Eltax to be honest but at that price you are limited. The Yammy amp is a bit weak at the high end, loses cohesion quite quickly. I run a HCPC myself so I'm not quite up to scratch on the DVD player front - the Philips 963 may fit the bill though.

5. dpc

dpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the responses as ever info invalauble.
    had a think about what was said and so after being nice to the missus the budget has been raised to a max of £4k to buy everything, warts and all!!!!:smashin:

So with my budget what would u recommend I go for?
    As Neil recommended before would a sony 930 amp do the trick, or something else?
    finally within my budget do u think I should opt for a prog scan dvd and does it make such a huge visual diffefence than say an ordinary dvd?

I am not tech minded but I do like good picture and sound quality.
    Pleeeeeease help

6. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The best thing to do is to go and Demo some systems, have a look around on the other forums here and get an Idea of the good products and then go and demo them

I bought my HS10 from NEXNIX and they were great and I know that they do other AV components and have good Demos, so it may be worth contacting Russell and seeing what he can put together for £4000.

Personally I like the Denon Receviers, I belivev that they have got new models comming out soon, so the older stuff is going cheaper. I have got the 3801 and it is great

regards

Ben