1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Maxheadroom, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm rebuilding my whole home cinema set up and need some advice.

From poring over reviews I'm thinking along the lines of this set up but nothing is set in stone yet

Pioneer PDP505XDE Plasma TV

PC (home built SageTV PVR on an Epia M1000 based system) - Already have this

Sky (switch to HD when available)

DVD (not even looked at these yet)

Video, Playstation 2 etc

Denon AVR1705 Amp

Gale HT30.5 Speaker set
    or maybe
    Monitor Audio Bronze B4 (or the B6 version)

So what do you think? The Monitor Audio speakers are double the price of the Gale's but I could stretch to that if they're twice as good as the Gale's.

I have an existing pair of Wharfedale MFM7's which are a good, solid floorstanding speakers and if I replace them I'd like another floorstander. The alternative is to keep the Wharfedales and build around them (but keeping within the same budget).

And what about the amp? I'm really clueless here. I pretty much picked the 1705 out of a hat. It got a good review and it's a name I'm familiar with.

Oh, this will be an almost totally 'Movie' set up, not so much music. And I don't have the world’s biggest lounge so raw power is less important.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any help would be appreciated

2. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im no expert with sound systems, but I am also getting a hifi seperates system, ive just reserved a pair of Monitor Audio S6 floorstanders for £399, I have heard so many good reviews, as for the amp, you will need to test it with what ever speakers you have, im getting my S6's first, then im taking them into a shop and testing them with about 4 different amps, just go with the amp that sounds best to you.

3. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The floorstanders are the only part of the set up I have at the moment that are any good. If I replace them I'd like it to be with a complete set, or else I'll keep them and get a centre, sub and surround separately.

Any ideas?