Question Starting from scratch... Please Help!

Mitchapalooza

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'll preface this by stating that I am a newbie to this forum, though have many years in professional audio. As a musician, sound tech and DJ, I could answer just about any question in regard to live pro audio, though I'm relatively new to the in-home systems and what the more favorable choices are. With Black Friday coming up, I see an opportunity to save on some Home Theater setups, though I'm at a complete loss as to which direction to head.
I am looking for components to install in my living room to pair with my 65" Vizio Smart TV. The room is fairly big, with the sectional sitting 15'+ from the TV. The left side of the room is open and goes into my pool room/parlor. I'm not concerned about the size of the speakers, merely sound quality and features. They will be for "Swiss Army" use including watching TV, movies, music, streaming, etc. I also have a couple of Buttkicker tactile transducers sitting around that I can utilize, so that should help out on the movie experience. I'd like to keep the spending right around a grand or less, though I would be willing to go higher for the right deal (or wait on certain components to build a better system).

I was looking at the Onkyo HTS-9400 THX system (refurb). From a cost point at $599, I don't think I'll be able to beat this feature-wise. With networking and the "future proofing" of 4k upscaling, it's tempting. I know how many audio nuts love HTiB's! Though, I know I may want more volume and it looks like the receiver and speakers are somewhat mismatched between 6ohm and 8ohm impedance - causing the system to be somewhat underpowered. As a guy that runs the brand new EV-ETX line pro audio, I'm not sure that I would be happy with the size of my living room.
ONKYO HT-S9400 THX 7.1 Ch Network Home Theater Receiver/Speaker | Accessories4less
I've also seen a couple of retailers offering the Klipsch Reference series (Not Icon or Reference II) for 50% off between Best Buy and HHGregg (though I realized they have zero locations in Texas). Picking up a set of these (either 5.1 or 7.1) along with a Denon or Onkyo receiver may be a solid bet given Klipsch's history. If I go this route, I'm probably out $800+ for the speakers and ?? for a receiver. Best Buy has the 6.5 and 8" floor speakers and the 5.25 bookshelf speakers at half-off. The sub and surrounds are only at HHGregg, so I may not be able to take advantage of those savings.
BestBuy.com Black Friday Flyer 2014 Page 6
As a lesser fan, Costco also has the Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Theater System Bundle with Yamaha Receiver Bundle with Yamaha Receiver Yamaha® HTR-3066. I'm not a huge Bose fan, and the receiver looks way underpowered as well. At $850, I'm sure that I can do better.

Other than these, I really haven't looked that much or done too much research and was hoping that I could utilize your expertise here. I live next to a Fry's as well, though I'm not sure what lines they carry or what deals they have going on. I'm sure there are many similar threads, though I wanted to see who may be in a similar situation with BF on the horizon, etc. and get any opinions that would be helpful. Thanks a lot!

I'm always amazed that musicians have the poorest sound systems. I've always attributed it to being able to listen past the equipment and just hear the music.

What I'm going to say is my opinion, an opinion not shared by many, but I've stood by if for many years, and still stand by it.

In all honesty, US$1000 will not buy much of a Surround Sound system. If you want to raise that to $1500 ($500 AV Receiver + $1000 Speakers) you might come out with a pretty fair system. Even at $1000, you are still going to need to spends close to $500 on the amp, unless you can find one on sale. That would leave you $500 for speakers which is lean.

My suggestion is that you sink all your money into a better Stereo system. A Stereo system can still do a pretty impressive job for movie - minus the surround sound.

Next, we need to discuss features. Do you by chance need Network Streaming of Audio. If you have a lot of Downloaded or Ripped files, they you can stream them over your computer network, and you can stream Internet Radio and Streaming Services. But, that feature is not free.

In speakers, you will have a hard time beating these for the money. These are the previous model Polk Audio Speakers, but still very good, and very close to HALF PRICE -

Polk Audio RTi-10 Cherry floorstanding ($560/pr) -

Polk Audio RTI10 Cherry Tower Speakers New Pair 047192109777 | eBay

The current version of this speakers is the RTi-A7 which sells for $500 EACH.

So, putting together a full featured system, let me start by suggesting these Stereo Amps -

Yamaha RN500 Network AM/FM Receiver, 80w/ch, Digital Inputs, USB-Media, Networking, PHONO, ... ($550) -

Yamaha R-N500 Stereo receiver with networking and Apple® AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

As an alternate -

Harman Kardon HK3770, Network Receiver, 120w/ch, Digital In, Phono, Bluetooth, etc... ($450) -

Harman Kardon HK 3770 Stereo receiver with networking and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

That is just a bit over budget, but that is a fantastic system.

Because Polk has redesigned its website and it is currently a mess, you can't access the achives of discontinued model. But you can get specs on the current equivalent model to the RTi-10 (RTi-A7)

If you really want to go to some mega speakers with very deep bass, though for a considerable price, consider the Polk RTi-12, again very close to half-price. -

Polk Audio RTi-12 Black Floorstanding ($799) -

Harman Kardon HK 3770 Stereo receiver with networking and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

The -3db (nearly flat) bass response on the RTi-10 is 35hz, the -6db bass response is probably in the neighborhood of 30hz or a bit less. I'm actually using the RTi-A7 specs, but the speakers are virtually identical.

The -3db response of the RTi-12 is 30hz, which makes the -6db response down to a considerable 25hz or a bit less. That is impressively deep for a floorstanding speaker. Again, I'm actually using the specs from the RTi-A9 speaker.

So, the most expensive system still close to your suggested budget is this -

$550/ea = Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver.
$560/pr = Polk Audio RTi-10
----------------
$1110 = Total

If we want the bigger better speakers -

$550/ea = Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver
$799/ea = Polk Audio RTi-12
---------------
$1349 = Total

Now, that Receiver is just one option. But it at least illustrated the possibilities.

Putting together a low cost yet still substantial 5.1 system start with roughly $500 for an amp, then -

Infinity Primus P363 Floorstanding ($199 EACH) -

Infinity Primus P363 Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Center channel could be one of two, your choice -

Infiinity Primus PC251 Center Speaker ($149 each) -

Infinity Primus PC251BK Center Channel Speaker - Black Single - Newegg.com

Infinity Primus PC351 Center speaker ($199 each) -

Infinity Primus PC351BK Center Channel Speaker - Black Single - Newegg.com

In rear Surround speakers, again you have a choice between two models -

Infinity Primus P153 5" bookshelf ($76 each) -
Infinity Primus® P153 Bookshelf speaker at Crutchfield.com

Infinity Primus P162 6.5" bookshelf ($86 each) -
Infinity Primus P163 Bookshelf speaker at Crutchfield.com

That would make a fantastic sounding 5.1 system, but it is not going to be cheap.

$_500/ea = AV Receiver (min)
$_400/pr = Primus P363 Front Floorstanding
$_199/ea = Primus PC351 Center
$_152/pr = Primus P152 Rear/Side speakers
$_500/ea = Subwoofer
----------------------
$1751 = Total

Notice Amp and Sub consume the entire suggested budget.

There are a couple of sources of quality Subwoofer around $500, SVS being one. Either the SB-1000 or the PB-1000 would get the job done.

The above system, would be one killer Surround Sound system, and would be equally impressive for music. Most modern AV Receivers also have Network Streaming capability.

NOTE: Crutchfield has the Front and Side speaker, but they don't list the Centers. However, NewEgg has to Foorstanding, Bookshelf, and Center models in the Infinity Primus Series.

Now you can simply scale the Primus system down. Put P163 ($86 each) bookshelf in front, use the lower cost PC251 ($149) Center, and use the P153 in the Side/Rear. Add the same AV Receiver and Sub, and you now have this

$500/ea = AV Receiver (min)
$172/pr = Primus P163 Front
$149/ea = Primus PC251 Center
$152/pr = Primus P153 Side/Rear
$500/ea = Subwoofer
------------------------
$1473 = Total

Still very nice, but not remotely the quality of the Primus Floorstanding Surround system. The difference in price is only $273, WELL WORTH the additional $273 to get the bigger speaker system.

However, if you are thinking of a budget AV Surround system with tiny speakers and an underpowered amp, I strongly suggest against it. Better to just buy a stereo system like the one outlined above. If you do go for a AV system, then don't half-ass it.

Better a good Stereo than a so-so AV Surround system.

Lastly just a few suggestions on AV Receivers -

Denon AVR-X1100W IN-Command 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Yamaha RX-V577 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi® and Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Harman Kardon AVR 1710 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth® and Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Denon AVR-X2100W IN-Command 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Denon AVR-X3000 IN-Command 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi® and Apple AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

My first choice would be Denon, second Yamaha. While above budget, the Denon AVR-X3000 has been replaced by the X3100, so deep discounts on the older model. The Retail on the Denon X3000 is $899.

If you can find them, you might find the Denon AVR-X1000 on sale, if not, the Denon X1100 is a very good amp in its price class.

But then ... that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks a lot, Steve. Great points made and I understand where you're coming from. I actually found a new set of RF-62II's for $400 total! I realize that I'm going to have to shell out some extra cash in order to build a decent system and not half-ass it.
So, I found a new RC-62II for $350, an Onkyo TX-DN636 Receiver for $420, and that's where I've stopped. I need a sub and 2-4 surrounds. My dilemma now is, should I go with the R-12SW, the SW121, or another (cheaper) sub just to make do with for now. The Buttkickers should help out with the bass reproduction for movies/TV anyway.
As far as surrounds, I could get a set of RB-51ii's for $300 total, or go with a set of RS-41ii's at the same price and call it good at 5.1. At this point, I'd rather not sink $600 into surrounds just yet. OR, I could pick up another set of RF-62ii's for another $400 and use those as surrounds - though I'm not sure how common this is in practice.
My other option is to order 2 (or even three sets to use on another Zone) of the RB-15's (cheaper reference counterpart) for half-off for $125/set on Black Friday. This way, I would have 7.1 and another set to assign to my pool room if I wanted. If I didn't like them, I could just sell them. I guess some would consider this half-assing it, as I realize that the quality is not going to be as strong as the Reference II models. Though at 4 speakers for less than the price of two, I have to admit it's tempting.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom