Starting first AV setup...advice

Ripstop

Standard Member
Reaction score
As always its a minefield until you have done your research. I have been hankering for a decent AV system for a while and couple this with a possible purchase of a 42" plasma for Christmas it can no longer be ignored. I have started with some KEF Q35's as the front and rears and am just waiting to see if I can get the Q95c centre now. This leaves the amp/receiver.

I reckon I would have about 400 to 600 GBP to spend and so this puts it into a really competitive range and looked at Yamaha's and Denon's. Narrowly missed out on a second hand Yam 1500 on ebay for 381 GBP and so still looking. The amp will mainly be used for TV and Movies and not music really. Be nice to get THX but I think thats a bit more money. Also thinking about the HDMI connection but I think again more money.

So what to get? Oh and one other thing...why are alot of amps 171mm tall? Methinks casings made by same people :)

I think that Yamaha 2500's can be had for £500 from somewhere. If not then the Pioneer 2014 is supposed to be a good buy. The forthcoming AX2 had HDMI swithcing if you can hang on for a bit longer? If you can wait until xmas, then you could pick up a bargain in the after xmas sales??

Russell

I have just got the Yamaha 1500 and am using it with Kef Q55's, and am really pleased with it, I used to have an Arcam A85+Yamaha DSPE-800 processor. The yamaha 1500 sounds so much better in surround than previous setup.

Thanks for that....where did you get your 1500 from Steve? The other thing is I am not intending to use a sub at the moment as the KEF's do a fair job at low frequencies as the cabinets are ported and large enough without compromising the 'partner' factor.

I got it from www.krishav.co.uk for £499, i was originally going to get it from a german website for £425, but would have taken upto 2 weeks for delivery, so being impatient i got it from krish.

Got mine from KrishAV too. Very good service.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom