Starting Again....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Wannabe-THX, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I have a 12'x8' room that I am converting for H/S. I have removed all the plaster on the walls due to most of it being blown. :(

What would be the best thing to keep the noise from travelling outside of the room?

I am going to replace the floorboards, using insulation between the new boards and the ceiling below. But what should I use on the walls?

Should I just re-plaster it and use something like Auralex on the walls, or go for something else?

Thanks in advance.

Fish

2. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Auralex is more of an acoustic treatmant than a soundproofing one.

Here's what I did for the walls in my theatre:

Over the existing walls (which were sealed and filled then skimmed roughly to a flat enough finish) I created a stand-off 3"stud frame and covered with acoustic grade plasterboard in a vertical configuration... Berind this sits very tightly packed dense rockwool.
    This was then jointed flush and sealed... all stud and screw locations then pencilled to the face of the board to avoid mishaps with the next step!
    Next step is a second layer of acoustic plasterboard in a horizontal configuration Straight over the first, this was then jointed, sealed and skimmed
    The final step was to affix skirting and coving and double brush joint all the edges before sealing everything.

This sounds like a lot of work but as you don't have to spend any time skimming surfaces to a mirror flat finish (Jointing is easy) it's actually quite quick.

3. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    How much did it cost doink ? I'm seriously considering this only prob is that I have a chimney breast and a one werid alcove .

5. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, but I didnt fancy loosing that much space. Just need to spend a little bit of time looking at the Custom Audio website.

Thanks
    Fish

6. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't soundproof anything unless you either rip out the wall and rebuild with sealed mass or add to the existing ones and lose a few inches of room area