1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting again.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rulocal, Nov 24, 2003.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    After much soul searching I have just sold most of my 2-ch system to reinvest in a system or systems to provide 2-ch and 5.1/6.1 with only a modest addition of funds. I appreciate this will cause a drop in stereo reproduction but my DVD viewing has overtaken my CD listening and it seemed the right thing to do. My old system was an Arcam A85 and Cyrus CD7Q and a pair of Quad 11ls which I still have. I also have a Sony DVPNS930 DVD player.

I managed to get close to £1200 for the CD and Amp and am happy to throw in £200 giving me a total of £1400 for the new setup.

As far as I see it I have two options.

1) Buy Stereo Amp/CD player totalling say £700 and a Multichannel receiver/amp plus a mid priced sattelite/sub package.

or

2) Buy Stereo Amp/CD player totalling say £600 a Multichannel receiver/amp and get the Quad Centre and a pair of different rears.

I am happy to buy second hand/ex-dem as I have always found this the best route to go for value but of course I would consider new items aswell.

What option do you think would be the best option, assuming a 50/50 preference for DVD/CD, or is there a third way? I am leaning towards option 1 if only because I am loathe to spend a quarter of my budget on the Quad centre and I have scoured E-bay and various classifieds for a second hand one for the last month but to no avail.

These are the models I am considering for each component:-

Stereo Amp - Marantz PM7200,Rotal RA-01, Cyrus 7
    CD Player - Marantz CD600KI, Arcam CD73, DAC for DVD player
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX812/VSXC501, Sony STRDB1080, Marantz SR4300/4400 etc.
    Sub/Sat - Canton CD 1, Elac Cinema 1, Old Eggs

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards

2. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Has nobody encountered this dilemma before?:confused:

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    It may be just me, but your budget I believe, makes it difficult to get you a system that's good at both AV and stereo.

You're used to a good hifi sound which I don't believe you'll get from a budget AV rig.

Just thinking aloud here, but if you could manage to up your budget a bit, the choice really opens up.

The first problem is that your hifi kit was pretty good and I don't believe you'll get near its performance for music. However, if AV is now the master then you'll be very happy.

The second problem is you have too good a taste for the kit you really 'need', which will be very difficult to buy within your budget.

I know it's too late now, but I'd have kept the kit you had and added to it, ie, a Yamaha from here or Ebay for the AV duties and waited a bit longer to get the speakers you really want. The Quads are riding high in the popularity charts at the moment, and so I wouldn't expect to see them going cheap anytime soon.

Of the kit shortlisted, the Arcam CD player is a good choice, the Cyrus amp, but nothing else, for me anyway. I worry you'll only end up where you started and be no better off.

Without going mad, why not something like the new Arcam AV300 due very soon to partner with the CD73 and DVD you have? Use the Quads you have now and listen in stereo until you can get the extra speakers you need in time. Personally I believe you'll save yourself time, money and effort by buying the very best you can afford now. I know, I've been caught out on false economies before.

:)

4. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks for your ideas. I agree that I will not be able to attain the Hi-Fi standard of my previous system but am ready for that. I still think a system such as Arcam CD73/Cyrus 7 will be pretty good.

I actually still have the A85 as the guy who bought it is based in Sweden despite me saying I only wanted UK bidders. I am sure I could finish the transaction but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I could then add the CD 73 a 300 quid receiver and the centre speaker and save for the rears or get some cheapies for the meantime.

How much is the new Arcam AV receiver going to be? I would have thought it would take up my complete budget on its own.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I believe it's in the £1K+ territory.

If you also sold your Sony you could buy an Arcam DV88plus ex dem too. That way you'd have top notch dvd/cd abilities. A 7.1 capablity if you wished in the future, with all the latest audio formats, AV/HiFi capable amp and only the two components in the system with interoperable remote control. Also the option to add DVD-A to the 88 too.

Many people here rate the Arcam AVR100 and 200 for their hifi abilities, which is a sound you already know with the A85.

I've had both an Arcam CD72 and DV88plus in the past and loved them both. I'd say the 88 was easily the equal of the 72 for audio. I only sold them on to buy an Arcam DV27. Excellent AV/CD playback, just better. I'd recommend that route as a possibility.

With the monies you've raised you should be about level on sale/spend. The snag is I don't believe the AVR300 is out yet, but I may be wrong. If not, it's very, very close to release.

You'd still have to wait to buy extra speakers, but it'd definately be worth it.

BTW, I mention the AVR300 on the strengths of the previous two models and other peoples comments and 'thumbs up'. I've not heard either, but as John Daswon and other Arcam staff frequent, (or should that be loiter:)) here, they may well be able to offer more practical/better advice.

6. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    While I can see where you sre coming from I don't see the point in spending £1,400 on the Arcam (I believe this will be the price) to get Stereo sound that will no better than my A85. I would then be spending the equivalent of a grand on an av amp which in my view is overkill given something like the Pioneer VSX812 is fine for my AV needs.

Maybe I am wrong but I think £700 worth of 2nd hand HiFi electronics feeding my Quad 11ls will produce a very good sound, albeit not what I am used to but that does not bother me. The point is I dont expect to be able to attain the same quality as before but I am just looking for the best allocation of the money available to get 1 or two systems that deliver the goods.

Thanks