Starting again (small scale)

leemo1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been a long time observer on these forums and gleamed a great deal of knowledge and assistance on a great deal of subjects. I am a keen AV enthusiast and early adopter but have never been able to achieve any of the projects brilliantly put together by so many of you.

It was my ambition to turn my double integral garage into a dedicated home cinema room but alas I ended up getting divorced and the ex got the house. Time to start again but when my future wife and I purchased our current home it is only a small 3 bedroom newish build semi with no room to achieve the ultimate ambition. That project has been kicked into the long grass until we move to a larger abode in a few years.

However, you can't keep a good man down so having been in the house for exactly 2 years I now have a satisfactory home set up which is capable of being upgraded by investing in better equipment that one day could be utilised in a dedicated situation.

I was able to salvage my onkyo 606 amp following my divorce and that has been the base of my slow rebuild (only had a 19 inch TV to begin with) as that at the time was all I salvaged. That had the HDMI fault on it so for some time needed to be upgraded. Thankfully I was able to get from Best Buy in the closing down sale a display onkyo TX SK508 for only £120 to get my modest setup being user friendly.

The toys that I have assembled in last 2 years via kind Xmas and birthday gifts from the GF (many without any assistance) and impulsive purchases when a bargain presented itself are as follows.

Onkyo TX SK508
Toshiba 40WL768 3D LED TV.
Toshiba HD EP30
PS3 slim
Onkyo sks-HT528 speaker pack and 3 Sony speakers I have recently requisitioned from the ex making 7.1
Apple TV2nd generation
Old Media pavilion HP pc being used solely as ITunes server with a 1TB Imogen networked media drive.
SKY HD
Wii
Rocket-fish wireless HD audio sender/receiver (Just had wooden floor laid and was no longer allowed wires running under the carpet/flooring)
iPad 2 32gb.
IPhone 4 (GF has 4s)

As I said it will do for now until we can think about moving and my being able to take my obsession to the next level! Being rained in with regards to enhancing what I have as we have a just a had a baby 5 months ago so GF is only on maternity pay although given the small size of the room little point in improving at this juncture.

Photos attached. Hope my modest setup meets approval!!!

Attachments

• image-2759232873.jpg
    image-2759232873.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 469
  • image-4001630127.jpg
    image-4001630127.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 412
  • image-2101936201.jpg
    image-2101936201.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 375
  • image-4227267165.jpg
    image-4227267165.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 369
  • image-2071862378.jpg
    image-2071862378.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 354
  • image-1057587309.jpg
    image-1057587309.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 375
Damit, I can never see the "Attached Images" on embedded ones :(

Great job OP, glad to see you bounce back and get a good setup on the go!
As modest as it may be you should be proud, a lot of people would love to have something like that themselves!

Damit, I can never see the "Attached Images" on embedded ones :(

Really? What happens?

What if you do a full refresh (Ctrl + F5)?

That is a great start from nothing. Good luck with the new baby, looks like everything is working out. If your happy thats the main thing.

Looks great!

Great price for the amp! What best buy did you get that from?

wisey1980 said:
Great price for the amp! What best buy did you get that from?

I got the amp from the best buy in Liverpool. Been going back in to the store regularly (my office is just around the corner) to see what other bargains I can pick up in the closing down sale. I was able to pick up 3D glasses for my toshiba tv on Friday for only £20. I keep hoping some nice speakers come down in price as I would love to improve that aspect of my setup next. Will then have to work on the misses to let me have the side speakers on top of her Chinese cabinets rather than hiding underneath them!!!! (Got her some cool Xmas presents to try and butter her up)

Yeah I work at the Croydon store we sold out of those amps before the sale! Wish I had picked myself one up, there will be some good speakers at a good price it's just weather they get sold before the markdown! I know we had some nice klipsh bookshelf and some kef iq10 at a good price. Cableing is 60% off at the moment though so good chance to stock up on monster and qed!

wisey1980 said:
Yeah I work at the Croydon store we sold out of those amps before the sale! Wish I had picked myself one up, there will be some good speakers at a good price it's just weather they get sold before the markdown! I know we had some nice klipsh bookshelf and some kef iq10 at a good price. Cableing is 60% off at the moment though so good chance to stock up on monster and qed!

I have my eye on some of the floor stand speakers but they will have to come down in price before I am allowed to part with any more cash. I presume the remaining stock will get marked down after Xmas if there is any left?

I noticed the 60% of home cinema accessories. Serious bargains for people in need of such stuff. That was why my 3D glasses where so cheap.

I guess they will we have no idea on the mark down patterns but guess after christmas there will be larger discounts! The toshiba glasses are the only ones we have left but they will soon go! Just hope there will be some jaw dropping bargains at the end lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom