Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Starter Systems Whats Best DD or Pro-logic II

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bales1983, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Im just starting out in the world of home cinema, and am currently looking
    to purchase a basic starter surround kit from my catalogue, I am very aware
    that the two systems i am interested in are not up to everybodys standard,
    but hopefully someday ill beable to upgrade, My question is what is the
    difference between 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound and Dolby Pro-Logic II,
    I understand the prologic can convert 2.0 input to 5.1?? The two systems i
    am looking at are:

-
    Bush DVDAV14K

and

Goodmans HEC172

Is there any real difference between these two systems?? All of my dvd's are
    in Dolby Digital 5.1, are any DVD's made in Dolby Pro-logic or is it just to
    turn 2.0 to 5.1, will the HEC172, work with Dolby Surround 5.1??

Sorry to ask so many questions i hope someone can help me,

Best Regards
    and Many Thanks

Lee

2. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Lee,
    There is a big difference between the two..
    Dolby PLII is still a 4.1 surround format.. ie you get 4 independant sound chanells.. you can get independant sound from the following chanels..
    Front Left, Centre, Front Right, Sub, the surrounds only output 1 chanel...

Dolby Digital is a 5.1 surround format.. ie independant sound from front left, centre, front right, sub, surround left and surround right..

You can not get 5.1 surround from a 2.0 input.. it has to be a digital input, be it optical or coax. the two systems you are looking at provide 5.1 and 4.1
    Given that they are all in one systems.. ie built in DVD player.. you shouldnt have any problems with listening to 5.1 material via DVD... if you want to connect a stero source, ie tv or games consol, your options are either Dolby PLII or stero... but not Digital 5.1

I hope this has helped a little..
    cheer
    Tony

3. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Prologic 11 is 5:1 front left, centre, front right and right and left rears no sub channel .dd is 6:1 ie the above + a sub channel

4. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I stand corrected..

Dolby Pro Logic II is an advanced matrix decoder that derives five-channel surround (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround) from any stereo program material, whether or not it has been specifically Dolby Surround encoded. On encoded material such as movie soundtracks, the sound is more like Dolby Digital 5.1 (see below), while on unencoded stereo material such as music CDs the effect is a wider, more involving soundfield. Among other improvements over Pro Logic, Pro Logic II provides two full-range surround channels, as opposed to Pro Logic’s single, limited-bandwidth surround channel.

Dolby Digital 5.1 is a method of transmitting and storing 5.1-channel soundtracks via newer digital media such as DVD, digital cable, digital broadcast TV (DTV), and satellite transmissions. Unlike the Dolby Surround encode/Pro Logic decode process, which sacrifices channel separation to get surround onto any stereo soundtrack, Dolby Digital 5.1 is a discrete system that keeps the multiple channels fully separated throughout the encoding and decoding processes. In addition to having full-range Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround channels, Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks carry a sixth (“.1”) channel recorded with low-frequency effects (those bass rumbles and booms you feel as well as hear in a well-equipped cinema).

cheers
    Tony

5. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information, Does anyone know if the Goodmans HEC17 can handle 5.1 Dolby Digital? On the link in my original post it mentions nothing of DD 5.1, just DPL2. But on the Argos site it says 5.1 DD?? any ideas which is right??

Lee

6. thanley

thanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lee,
    This should help..

75 watt RMS subwoofer + 5 x 25 watt RMS.

Dolby digital 5.1.

Dolby Pro Logic II decoders.

4 inputs.

DVD/CD/MP3 DVD player plays DVD, CD, CDR, MP3.

Kodak picture clip compatible.

Zoom.

SCART x 1.

200W total power

So yes it provides both DD and DPLII

cheers
    Tony