Starter Amp/AV Receiver - Recommendations please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JoHimself, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JoHimself

JoHimself
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I am not really into audio equipment but I do have a certain amount of technical knowledge. I am therefore likely asking an extremely simple question.

In my living room I have a 720p HDTV with an array of inputs. I bought it because it was cheap at the time and wanted it to serve as a placeholder until decent brand 1080p HDTVs came down in price. The menu on it is rather slow and the number of button presses required to switch between inputs is rather annoying.

To alleviate this I would like to buy an AV receiver. I have an Xbox 360 with component out, an original Xbox with composite out, a Sky+ box with composite out and a PS3 with HDMI. I would like, if possible, to remove the need for the TV remote entirely (the Sky+ remote can turn the TV on and off) so that all of the inputs for video are condensed down into one HDMI cable to the TV (is this up-converting?) and all of the sound comes out of the speakers attached to the AV Receiver.

For future proofing I would like at least 2 HDMI inputs (one for the PS3 and one for a HTPC which I will probably get in the near future).

5/7.1 is not essential as I would rather have good stereo than surround sound (and the room is not that big anyway).

Budget wise I would like to spend around £350ish but I would like some bookshelf speakers in with that as well.

Also it must be black rather than silver.

Is all of this possible and if so, which device should I go for? (recommendations for speakers to go with it would be welcome also)

Thanks in advance

Jo

2. fiveforty

fiveforty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty new to all this myself, so someone will probably correct me on all I have to say! :) but I think that if you want something that will upconvert you would be looking at something like the Onkyo TXSR606 - it costs roughly £350-£400... as I say I'm new to this myself so there is probably something cheaper that does upconverting, but I'm pretty sure that the 606 is the cheapest Onkyo that does it

I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge will come and help you out

3. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sony 820 + Wharfedale 9.1's for £350. Richer Sounds.

Yamaha 783 + Tannoy F1 custom for £380. Richer Sounds.

Denon 1909 + Tannoy F1 custom for £390. Richer Sounds.

You may be able to get the components cheaper elsewhere as these are just example prices.

4. Pearfish01

Pearfish01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    All these amps are good suggestions as you want good stereo sound not 5.1. Stay clear of Onkyo they are not too good at stereo. Also look at Marantz and NAD both awesome stereo.

5. Robsk1

Robsk1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well, I'm quite happy with the stereo output of my 605 and it would definitely beat the 820 at that.

I think the Denon is the best bet out of that bunch. Nad is out of range the OP's budget and not sure what Marantz would be in the price range. Contact your local RS to see what they have end of range as the Onkyo 605 and the Marantz 7001 are £150 but they may have none left. Others might be available though at a bargain price.