Started using Media Portal - Can an expert help an idiot ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Ok gone from MCE to Media Portal and it seems very good and actually much faster reacting

However I have a couple of questions and / or problems and could do with some help

(1) Using DVDDecrypter I have ripped around 70 movies across 4 Hard Drives. However when I ran the Setup Wizard its only found a handful of the movies on 2 of the 4 discs. How can I go about getting the rest added. (The movies have a folder each in video_ts format etc)

(2) I then have a folder in which are various other folders for various .AVI files - one folder for HD clips etc another folder for trailers and another for home movies etc. In MCE each of these appeared seperatly under MyVideos and I could then choose each individual clip - How does ths work under Media Portal

(3) TheaterTek and Upscaling. How do I make sure Media Portal uses Theatertek and that I get upscaled to 720p playback. Also how do I go about disabling the Theatertek splash screen.

(4) Movie artwork - I think this is retrievable via IMDB but clueless how to do it

Think thats it for now - but any other tips be welcome

Thanks

2. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Add an entry in the registory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TheaterTek\TheaterTek DVD 2.0

HideSplash Dword 1

Add a file "background.bmp" in C:\Program Files\TheaterTek\TheaterTek DVD 2.0. This should just be a black image.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    As for the movies that didnt scan. Browse to each movie and press the info\more button on your mce remote. This will then search imdb and frdb? anf give you artwork.

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If you go into mediaportal setup (not the wizard) and look at My Movies > Folders, you can add as many as you like in there and thats what will be displayed under My Movies in the GUI. You could add the main folder only if you like, and you will be able to browse all the subfiles and folders, or you could add your individual folders depending entirely on how you want it organised in the GUI.
    Exacty the same process for My Pictures and My Music.

As for DVD playback, if you want to use Theatertek, make sure its installed and go into Mediaportal setup again. Go to DVD options and in there you can choose your own external player for MP to use. Just browse to the Theatertek install directory and choose main exe.

To get rid of Theatertek's splash screen, as DLPMaybe has posted, you need to add a registry entry for Theatertek. Open up regedit (Start>Run> regedit) and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TheaterTek\TheaterTek DVD. Right click in the right hand window and create a new Dword value called "HideSplash=1" (without the quotes).
    I also had to add /NOSPLASH in the parameters entry in Mediaportals setup for the Theatertek shortcut (Where you chose Theatertek as your default player).
    Theatertek's default background image has the logo on it, and if you want to get rid of it, as DLPMaybe also posted you can change the background.bmp to a plain black image.

DVDs in Theatertek will be upscaled to whatever your desktop resolution is set to, but you can get better results (arguably) by using ffdshow to do it instead. What are your system specs? The more things you try and do with ffdshow, the more CPU grunt you need.
    Once you have ffdshow installed, you can choose to use it in Theatertek's video options.

5. typing00

typing00
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I too am interested in implementing Mediaportal. Does it have TV support like MCE? Can you seamlessly integrate winamp/foobar as the music player for bit-perfect playback?

Thank you in advance.

6. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It does have TV support. There is a list of compatable analogue and digital cards somewhere, but they add new cards all the time anyway. Dual tuners arent a problem either (in fact im sure i remember reading something about more than 2 tuners too), but your best bet is to check out the Forums and see whats what.

I have seen a Winamp plugin for Mediaportal aswell (pretty sure it comes with it tbh) but i havent had a chance to mess around with it yet.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Thik I am slowly getting there but still having two BIG problems

THE FIRST

Have 4 HDs across which loads of DVDs have been ripped using DVDDecrypter - stored in a folder for each movie in video_ts format etc

When I use SCAN Media Portal only finds a few on a few of the HDs - not all of them :(

When I try and add them manually, although I think I am doing it correctly, the files fail to show in the MyMovies section.

Following on from this - all I want to be able to do is click on the movie and have it play - however when clicking on a selection it just goes into that folder instead of playing the movie

Also - How do I get the info for each movie - do I have to scan each one in IMDB or can I just get it to go off and find each one

THE SECOND PROBLEM

No matter what I do I can not get a W/S image - the film, no matter what it is - is just showed in a box in the middle of the screen - big black bars to left and right - this seems toi be the case with MediaPortal or TheaterTek

8. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    You can scan IMDB from the setup, but unfortunately you have to choose the correct listing when it finds them. Not really ideal if you have loads to do.

There appears to be a problem playing back ripped DVDs if they are not in the usual directory structure. In your individual folders, try putting the files in a VIDEO_TS subfolder. eg: "Moviename/VIDEO_TS/<ifo and vobs here>". They "should" play correctly when you select them.

As for the playback problems, what codecs are you using in MP? The default ones or the Nvidia ones that came with Theatertek? You can choose which one you want in setup under movies. Have you tried the different aspect ratios in MP? (blue button on MCE remote IIRC) What video setting are you using for Theatertek and or MP?

9. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I have my ripped DVD VOBS in one folder, and that folder is the name of the film and this works fine with MediaPortal. You don't need to have Video_TS folders.

I suggest you map to each drive and not rely on sharing. I found that to be most reliable.

To just play the movie you need to change the View to Titles. Then you will just see each movie and clicking on this will launch it.