Started running .... what should I be careful of

I've had that before, it's disgusting, give's ya the runs. Don't buy :D

it reminded me of a well known luncheon meat that starts with 'S' and ends with an 'M'...

Has it got Pennsylvania in the middle of it? :D

I need to loose some timber , I'm 48 and not done any running for atleast 15 years and currently 19 stone going to start of walking and running .

I need to loose some timber , I'm 48 and not done any running for atleast 15 years and currently 19 stone going to start of walking and running .
wanting to start is half the battle...the fact you want to do "something" is a step in the right direction. For what its worth Id never done anything as what id class running and Ive come a long way since

start off slow...and listen to what your body tells you....then increase when it feels right.....one thing I'd recommend if you have the option is cycling. It certainly got me to a great starting point and its simple non-impact exexcrcise that gets the blood pumping and the lungs working well.

Good luck and keep us posted iwhth how you get on

Last edited:
As above, listen to your body. Quickest way to injury is pushing too hard too fast. Just build it up slowly.

Thanks for the shoe tiup...that is the sort of thing I would never have thought about....again...not sure ill ever want to run with others or in a group as that would probably make me more competitive and right now I prefer riding off-road for that...oh and the idea of a 'race' doesn't interest me at all...but I never thought I'd run a 5K (even looked at the couch to 5k app about a year ago) so who knows

Actually, thinking about it...I did one of those inflatable 5k runs two years back and was woefully awful...so maybe that is something ill give another try in the summer.....maybe
I agree with all of that. But the main reason that I don't want to do anything competitive is that I am, and always have been, extremely variable in my performance level. Whether it's physical exercise, or mental tasks or how well I perform at interviews...

One day I can run almost 10k (I say 'almost' because that is the absolute maximum I can manage in the vicinity of my home without repeating sections and I definitely don't want to drive somewhere to run). Another day I might struggle to do 2km without constant stopping and pain. Often it's related to how well I've slept, but other times I can be well rested and just be useless at anything physical, or I can feel tired but have what seems like limitless energy!

So in other words, if I ever tried to do running with others or competitively, chances are, on the day I needed to be my best, I wouldn't be. I just know myself well enough by now (late 40's) and I know that I'm like that so don't see the point of putting myself through any kind of competition knowing that regardless of how much I train in advance, it's bit or miss whether I will do well on the day.

I agree with all of that. But the main reason that I don't want to do anything competitive is that I am, and always have been, extremely variable in my performance level. Whether it's physical exercise, or mental tasks or how well I perform at interviews...

One day I can run almost 10k (I say 'almost' because that is the absolute maximum I can manage in the vicinity of my home without repeating sections and I definitely don't want to drive somewhere to run). Another day I might struggle to do 2km without constant stopping and pain. Often it's related to how well I've slept, but other times I can be well rested and just be useless at anything physical, or I can feel tired but have what seems like limitless energy!

So in other words, if I ever tried to do running with others or competitively, chances are, on the day I needed to be my best, I wouldn't be. I just know myself well enough by now (late 40's) and I know that I'm like that so don't see the point of putting myself through any kind of competition knowing that regardless of how much I train in advance, it's bit or miss whether I will do well on the day.
It’s amazing how your views can change.

I’d had no intention of running more than 5K. Or wanting to be faster. Then I managed some decent (for me) 10Ks and got closer and close to a 20 min 5k.

I was and still am gagging to run a ParkRun or two as I now feel the chase will make me faster

I also never thought I’d want to or even be able to run a half marathon distance but having tried a few weeks ago and managing it in 1hr45, I now know that I should never say never

wow.,..just over two years on and 3110KMs covered who knew!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom