Started running .... what should I be careful of

im sure it's buried in here somewhere... it's 20.44
Oh your hunting down that 6.25p/m pace it's an aweful pace to get to, it's that place between jogging fast at 6.50p/m and realising that you have to actually run.lol.

Giving your gains in the last 6 months in sure you'll do it sooner rather than later:thumbsup:
brand-dark.svg
About

Well after a 50k road ride this morning and a few laps (7K) of the local park with the twins for more riding practice, I was inspired to do a quick lap by all the other runners having a go

turned out this morning activities didn’t slow me down and managed a pretty decent time, albeit it over a short than usual distance.

0957705D-7722-4EFB-9185-EEA8886CA3F1.jpeg

Even managed a 6.17 mine mile according to Strava

Started running properly myself the last 2/3 weeks, however started to get shin pain So I opted to have a week off till the pain went away Which iT did.

However been running The last 3 days and the shin pain has come back probably worse than before, only running about 2.5 miles and the pain kicks in round about the half way mark with the last 3/4 miles killing me

Now stuck as to where to go from here, plan on biking for some fitness over the next few days and less impact on my shins, but so annoying as I was just getting into the running and got few things going on currently in my life that running was helping with that

I had shin splints when I first started. Partly due to the trainers I was using but mainly down to the way I was running. Adjusting to make sure I wasn’t heel striking etc and after a while I stopped getting them

Started running properly myself the last 2/3 weeks, however started to get shin pain So I opted to have a week off till the pain went away Which iT did.

However been running The last 3 days and the shin pain has come back probably worse than before, only running about 2.5 miles and the pain kicks in round about the half way mark with the last 3/4 miles killing me

Now stuck as to where to go from here, plan on biking for some fitness over the next few days and less impact on my shins, but so annoying as I was just getting into the running and got few things going on currently in my life that running was helping with that
You need to your gait analysed and get the correct trainers, you can also use compression socks that will help.
There are some simple exercises that will help also, walking on your heels, toes pointing upwards for 30 secs a day and increase that to 1 minute and seated toe lifts,3x10 daily will also help.
Icing down the shins after runs will help with the pain and inflammation.
Shin splints are micro tears on the tibia(shin) where the muscle connects they're extremely painful as you've discovered but with the a bit of care can be managed and will go away over time, the correct trainers are a must though to start with.

Last edited:
What’s the verdict on wearing shorts over compression shorts? I’ve just bought some compression shorts as my thighs have been rubbing recently. Either more lard or muscle from the extra squats. I was going to wear them under shorts, but wonder if that would look a bit naff?

What’s the verdict on wearing shorts over compression shorts? I’ve just bought some compression shorts as my thighs have been rubbing recently. Either more lard or muscle from the extra squats. I was going to wear them under shorts, but wonder if that would look a bit naff?
Do you care what it looks like if it helps?

Looking naff...I don't think much will top my red 12 inch addidas compression shorts,complimented by the superman skin complete with refective sunglasses earlier in the year....
Amazon product ASIN B01MZBRYDX
Naff couldn't even begin to describe how I looked.lol

Looking naff...I don't think much will top my red 12 inch addidas compression shorts,complimented by the superman skin complete with refective sunglasses earlier in the year....
Amazon product ASIN B01MZBRYDX
Naff couldn't even begin to describe how I looked.lol
See it would’ve been fine if you’d completed it with a cowl.

managed a 20:30 PB today...in there was a 3.39 km and a 6.02 mile

Just that sub 20 to conquer now and I'll be happy

Well done:thumbsup:
What was your 3x1 mile splits?
unfortunately everything I used works in out in KM.....and when exporting it to my Garmin account it doesn't give me Mile splits im afraid

Actually I just switched over the format for a n app I get the slits from so here you go

27E94623-3CE0-4F15-9524-A69B8E2D2ABB.png

Nice, was that you hanging on to life itself on the last mile after blasting mile 2 ?
Yeah pretty much. Last km is uphill and felt like I was double my weight on the section.

I’d love to run it on a local running track

Yeah pretty much. Last km is uphill and felt like I was double my weight on the section.

I’d love to run it on a local running track
I think that sub 20 min is already in the bag for you
What i would say is when you decide to have another go and go for that sub 20 at least give your self half a chance, a flat course is a must or as flat as you can find, low winds and a cool day, but looking at those times your there, you just need a little self control.

I would tackle sub 20min 5km like this, mile 1 6.17, mile 2. 6.20-6.25 mile 3: hold 6.20 for the first half mile and then open up with a real strong finish:thumbsup:

I think that sub 20 min is already in the bag for you
What i would say is when you decide to have another go and go for that sub 20 at least give your self half a chance, a flat course is a must or as flat as you can find, low winds and a cool day, but looking at those times your there, you just need a little self control.

I would tackle sub 20min 5km like this, mile 1 6.17, mile 2. 6.20-6.25 mile 3: hold 6.20 for the first half mile and then open up with a real strong finish:thumbsup:
My problem is that I don’t really now how fast I’m going and looking at my watch all the time is tedious. So much easier on a running machine to keep pace.

My problem is that I don’t really now how fast I’m going and looking at my watch all the time is tedious. So much easier on a running machine to keep pace.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I tend to be a slave to my watch when doing Heart Rate Training it can become tedious, my faster runs I don't tend to look at my watch much at all it makes more sense to run to how my body feels rather than be dictated to by time, unless of course the run is time/speed specific, i.e. marathon pace run, or 5 km pace run.

I think you should probably consult a professional physio not ask on the internet.
Have to agree with this. Getting back to but to early or overdoing it just slightly could put you back months.

Note: The post(er) Kyle was addressing has been removed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom