Started running .... what should I be careful of

Running in this heat is an absolute killer. Not done a run with more than a 6min / km in months. Took me 37 mins to do 6k this morning. I usually do it in about 33 mins. And that was at 7am this morning.

Didn't want to but I did anyway.
And had a great time!
I think I'm really helped by doing a decent warm up now. I've always got away with before because I was young and fit but now I'm... Not. So I need the warm up and need to get the glutes firing!
So, my running now is recovery runs, learning to run again and building up the fitness using run/walk. I'm trying to be smart about it.

A few months ago I was able to run 5k+ plus but it would be hard, horrible and leave me in pieces for days so I couldn't do it very often. I was doing it on will power alone.
I got fed up of that so decided to train smarter, not harder (approaching mid 40s now and recovery is a bitch!). I'm listening to my body and if it says that things are hurting or I can't get my breath, I slow to a walk for a little while.

The route is just under 3k.
The last few times I've run it, I've had to slow to a walk 4 or 5 times.
Today I slowed to a walk twice. Both the were further in than before and the walk period was less. In fact I may have even been able to do it without the walk periods if I had pushed myself, but that isn't the name of the game now.
And when I got home, I felt fine and had plenty more in the tank!
Very happy with this!
I'm going to continue with this method until I am comfortable jogging the whole way, then increase to 5k and see how we go.
Also noted that the speed of my jogging was about the same as when I was running 5k to 8k regularly back in 2015! This feels more like my natural pace.

So thanks to everyone here for the knowledge and support! Onwards and upwards eh! 😁

I would approach the half marathon with caution, 10k to half is a huge leap, there is no doubt that you would be able to complete the distance, the half is the distance that literally most healthy able bodied people can do, but is also far enough to cause some damage. I would build up to doing 10 miles and be comfortable doing that first.

I am curious what is your 10k time as this can be a good indicator for your half time ?
Certainly glad your posted this.

had my longest run yet today at 15K and think I would have really struggled if I’d attempted the 21K distance.

hips were a little sore on the last few KM but it was great to get the distance in and I thought it was at a pretty respectable pace as well (4.50 per K). My best 10K so far as well at just a smidge over 46 mins)

good to get in the usual single 10K a month and surprisingly felt fine as soon as I’d finished. The weather being cooler certainly helped and it was nice to not be sweating him for ages after.
After ended up collecting my twins from pre school from the run so had a 3/4 KM walk back with them at a nice slow pace as a cool down
7112E43E-D60C-4EED-B427-28AF3F4C65F2.png

Last edited:
I pretty much ruined myself last year pushing too far too fast.
Did a 20k in April and then 22k in May along with numerous 5/10/15km to the point that I wasn’t giving myself enough recovery time and ended up damaging my knee.
I’ve only just done my first two 5k runs without a brace this week - over a year later and my 5k time is back to my 2018 times when I just started out as I’m not as conditioned (and also don’t want to overdo it again).

4054DA8C-8D7E-48F1-9C1A-D20A756E67E3.png

Half marathon
51D92E96-F066-466B-B735-85ACA6FA190A.png

My 5k from Sunday
7AE21774-2BED-4946-8218-585671592956.png

Certainly glad your posted this.

had my longest run yet today at 15K and think I would have really struggled if I’d attempted the 21K distance.

hips were a little sore on the last few KM but it was great to get the distance in and I thought it was at a pretty respectable pace as well (4.50 per K). My best 10K so far as well at just a smidge over 46 mins)

good to get in the usual single 10K a month and surprisingly felt fine as soon as I’d finished. The weather being cooler certainly helped and it was nice to not be sweating him for ages after.
After ended up collecting my twins from pre school from the run so had a 3/4 KM walk back with them at a nice slow pace as a cool down
View attachment 1326765
Well done on the run, now this is how i would approach things moving forward that's of course if the half is still a goal.
With distances towards the 10 mile Mark your body will start to show it's weaknesses hopefully without the injuries, in your case your hips being sore now me I would be looking at adding some hip flexibility and strengthening work to combat this it won't take long to get on top off maybe 8 week's for improvements and to see results, things like lunges and pigeon stretches would help, the lunges body weight would do it just twice a week:smashin:

Last edited:
Well done on the run, now this is how i would approach things moving forward that's of course if the half is still a goal.
With distances towards the 10 mile Mark your body will start to show it's weaknesses hopefully without the injuries, in your case your hips being sore now me I would be looking at adding some hip flexibility and strengthening work to combat this it won't take long to get on top off maybe 8 week's for improvements and to see results, things like lunges and pigeon stretches would help, the lunges body weight would do it just twice a week:smashin:
Thanks for the tips.

Already watched some videos on pigeon stretches which I’d never heard of.

Did used to do longest but stopped for some reason, not sure

will add those into my core stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

Already watched some videos on pigeon stretches which I’d never heard of.

Did used to do longest but stopped for some reason, not sure

will add those into my core stuff.
All sounds good, just keep going, if you keep going with the running for a long enough period of time months/years it does become easier and more enjoyable, although them 5km fast runs will always be a place of pain and suffering.lol

Just add @jouster, I've touched upon doing 400 metre repeats a few posts back but to get better 5km PB's you or anyone else really needs to be adding repeats to your training.

So for 5km training you would start by doing 4x400metres(0.25/mile) at 10-20 seconds faster than your 5km pace, the first time you have ago at this your pace will be all over the place you'll likely run too fast and burn out, but it won't take many runs to get used to the pace you want to be at, take a 2-3 minute rest in between sets, then after maybe 4 sessions increase to 6x400, 4-5 sessions later drop to 4x600 but holding the same pace, then after 4-6 sessions of this increase to 6x600, you would carry on this progression until you would get to 8x800 at your given pace. This is just one example you could in theory just stick to the 400 repeats and slowly increase the speed of those over time and add more repeats, so you would start at 4x400 at 6.30per mile then after 6 months be doing 8x400 at 6.15per mile pace, I'm sure you get the idea.

Essentially you need to do these to get your body used to running at faster pace then what is needed so your body will understand how the effort feels and will adapt, while these sessions will be difficult they do offer a nice change/variety from the normal distance running. You'll find that you will shocked just how slow you 10km pace feels after doing 5km training repeats which is another great boost for both body and mind.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

well, I made my 100th run today...not bad considering my first was on Feb 9th.

Totalling 574KM...not huge by some measures Im sure but it still feels good and think I can now nearly call myself a runner

well, I made my 100th run today...not bad considering my first was on Feb 9th.

Totalling 574KM...not huge by some measures Im sure but it still feels good and think I can now nearly call myself a runner
Amazing mate, totally amazing!

Amazing mate, totally amazing!
thanks, you're too kind.....I guess im just lucky to have found something im, not bad at.....jsut shocks me as it was something I really had no interest in

thanks, you're too kind.....I guess im just lucky to have found something im, not bad at.....jsut shocks me as it was something I really had no interest in
In actually happy for you mate 👍🏻 You've found something that you enjoy and can perform it at a pretty high standard. Compared to me at least! I just hope they're are things in naturally better at than you... Or I'm better looking, or a better driver or something... Anything... 🤣🤣🤣
Truth is, I don't think I can run for 30s at the pace you run for miles! It's impressive and inspirational 👍🏻

Last edited:
I might actually be better at typing at you as well, at least on some of my posts....and that's hard to say as my typing is awful as Im always in too much of a hurry...

But thanks again...next run in 39 minutes...just hope the rain holds off

I think your general fitness has helped you greatly. Cycling and running have a lot of transferable fitness.

I think your general fitness has helped you greatly. Cycling and running have a lot of transferable fitness.
i think my last 12-18 months, in general, has seen a huge jump in fitness for me...from 45 minutes of hit stuff every between last august and February (even Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NYD) this year and plenty of other stuff in between I'm the fittest I've ever been...and long may it continue

I certainly admire your dedication and will power.
im surprised i managed to keep the HIIT stuff going everyday for that long it wasn't much fun...but it certainly got my body fat down and my abs peeping out

Well done on your dedication me and the wife started couch to 5k last May and now we plod 5k 3 times a week, I was 16 stone when we started now about 14and a half give or take and can do It in around 28 mins, I’m pretty chuffed considering I smoked from 14 to 47 and I’m now 49 I also have a pretty knackered back and get disc pain where my disc was removed a few years ago.
not sure I’ll ever enjoy it but I know it has benefits and I’m sure I’m fitter now than my Navy days!, demoralising when your 24 year old son posts that he ran 20.10 yesterday but it’s more about the doing it for me than the time, but we are guys we can’t help being competitive:).

Well done on your dedication me and the wife started couch to 5k last May and now we plod 5k 3 times a week, I was 16 stone when we started now about 14and a half give or take and can do It in around 28 mins, I’m pretty chuffed considering I smoked from 14 to 47 and I’m now 49 I also have a pretty knackered back and get disc pain where my disc was removed a few years ago.
not sure I’ll ever enjoy it but I know it has benefits and I’m sure I’m fitter now than my Navy days!, demoralising when your 24 year old son posts that he ran 20.10 yesterday but it’s more about the doing it for me than the time, but we are guys we can’t help being competitive:).
Good for you.
I certainly appreciate how more important our health is in our older years.

your dedication is great and whilst time isn’t really important, let’s be honest, we all want to be as quick as we physically can be.

20:10 is a great time and I’ll be super stoked when I get to sub 20 but at that point I’ll have nothing more to chase.

I actually donquite enjoy my 5k runs now and even the 10k ones aren’t too troublesome but 1hr + can start to get a bit boring.

that said I like the mix of running, cyclng, HIIT and core stuff works well for me now

20:10 is a great time and I’ll be super stoked when I get to sub 20 but at that point I’ll have nothing more to chase.
if or when you break that 20 you'll soon realise you've got about 60 of them 19's to chase down:clap:

if or when you break that 20 you'll soon realise you've got about 60 of them 19's to chase down:clap:
dammit....

I know you are right...but I THINK I'll be happy once I get to 20

But never say never

I can't remember if its in this thread. What's your current 5km Pb?

im sure it's buried in here somewhere... it's 20.44

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom